PDA

View Full Version : If you could have ANY double...

tarheelborn
10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Which one and why? I am having a really hard time choosing a double. My older son will be 23 months when DS2 arrives in January. He isn't a big kid, currently about 23 lbs. and 32" so I am not terribly worried about seat size.

I had a Bumbleride Flyer for when he was small, which I loved, because I could fit my carseat in it (Keyfit 30) and I used the seat laid out sort of like a bassinet since it was really flat. I kind of got tired with the weight of the whole thing when he got a little older and now my car stroller is a G-Luxe, which I love (minus the tiny basket). I drive a Honda Pilot, and live in a suburban area where I have to drive everywhere.

My original plan was to get two strollers: a tandem for the car (primarily choosing between the B-Ready and the BJCS) and an all-terrain for the garage/neighborhood walks (thinking the Bob Duallie). My MIL has offered to buy me a stroller (cost is not really an issue) but I don't know what I want. I was thinking I could buy myself the B-Ready now with the free ride event going on, and then ask for the Bob Duallie from her once baby is here.

I am also considering MB Duet but won't get to try it in person. My son is small but I am still a little worried about its seats being small. The City Mini GT that is coming out also looks promising since I am not really a runner, but am really hoping to get something with AT type tires for walks and occasional outdoor use. The Bumbleride Indie is beautiful, and might be a possibility for a one-and-only, but seemed a tad bulkier than I'd like in the store. Not really sure how I'd feel about pushing that around the mall.

I think she would be willing to get me the Bugaboo Donkey IF that was going to be my one-and-only stroller. I personally have really liked having a really lightweight umbrella stroller the last 6 months or so once I didn't need the lie-flat and cushy padding and place for a giant diaper bag, so I am thinking my need for a large double for the mall (Donkey) may be short-lived. I don't think she'd mind getting it for me but if I switched it out for a lighter weight umbrella type stroller after 10-12 months I think she might be a little offended, considering the price, if that makes sense (she also bought my Flyer which I now rarely use).

The reason I feel like I need to decide now is that the Britax free ride event is ending soon. I spent WAY too long looking for a perfect single stroller before my son was born (lurked on this board quite a bit) and decided on the Flyer, which was pretty great but not perfect like I'd hoped. Obviously I am looking at a much more considerable investment with a double so I am even more worried about making the right decision.

Also, I used a Moby a lot with my son the first few months, and may do so with this one. Something that I could pop my carseat in for quick in-and-out trips when baby is sleeping would be helpful though, so I would love something that could also take a Chicco. I'd also rather something that didn't feel like I was pushing a bus.

I feel very lost despite all my research. Can someone walk me through this?

roseyloxs
10-06-2011, 04:50 AM
If you want a reversible stroller for your outdoors walks you can check out the Stroll-Air my duo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxIA9eKcHlI). Its about half the price of the donkey. I have heard you can buy air tires to beef up its AT capabilities.

If that isn't your style I think I would ask for a mountain buggy duo with a bassinet/carrycot before a BOB. I personally loved my bumbleride indie twin for outdoor use. I am not a fan of dangling legs for little ones so the adjustable leg rest was a must for me.

Nechums
10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I love the stroll air my duo. We bought the optional air tires and it pushes like a dream (pushed really well even before the air tires also)...even with 50 pounds worth of kids.

I also loooooove the basket and canopy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tribe pride
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
If you only want 1 double, I think the Indie Twin or Stroll Air My Duo would be your best options. I don't think either would be too difficult to push around indoors, but you need to decide if you want to lift something that heavy in and out of the car a lot, or if you want something more lightweight. For being a SBS double, the Stroll Air doesn't weigh much- 26 lbs- so it might be the easiest to use as a AT car double. Valco is also coming out with a reversible SBS double this Spring, but you might not want to wait that long.

If you decide to get 2 doubles, I think your plan for a B Ready, and then a BOB or MB Duo is a good one. Will you need to take the AT double in your car very often? If so, I'd go with the BOB- it's quite a bit lighter than the MB. But if not, I like the MB better- it is narrower, so can fit through doorways and tight spaces, and can recline flat for newborns (BOB can't be used til 3 months, I think).

I was in your position 1.5 years ago, and wanted only 1, do-it-all double. I got a BJCCD (not great quality)and then a P&T. I love the P&T, but it keeps breaking, so we're selling it. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gotten 2 strollers- a car double like a BJCMD, B Ready, or Valco Quad with joey seat, and then a BOB or MB.

Like your screen name, btw! Dh went to Carolina, so I've become a fan :)

Multimama
10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
If I was in your shoes I would go with the MB Duet. Your son is tiny compared to mine and I put my kid in the seat the other day and he was happy and had lots of room over his head (you know, relatively speaking) with the canopy closed.

But I would also look at the Stroll-Air because I'm very into reversible strollers. :)

hoodlims
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I am liking my B-Ready so far. We have taken it outside on our suburban sidewalks and it pushes really nicely. Not too much worse than the BOB. My DD likes the variety, being on the bottom or being on the top facing me. I hope you have a BIG car though.

jacksmoma
10-06-2011, 04:17 PM
would have her get you the bob duallie. best double ever, really. having a bob at home for walks to the park and disney etc was great and the city mini single for my baby on car errands was PERFECT- my then 2 year old would walk and i could pop baby in the stroller :)

AnnieW625
10-07-2011, 04:28 AM
If I had to get something other than the Bob Duallie I'd probably get a Mountain Buggy Duo, but really the Bob is an amazing stroller and I love it and think it's the best money we've spent on baby gear and our girls are 4 yrs. apart! I would buy another if I had to go back and time and do it over again:). If my girls had been less than say 3 yrs. apart I probably would've gotten a Phil N Teds Inline stroller, but since DD1 was 4 I wasn't sure how much longer she'd fit in the extra seat.

tarheelborn
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Looking at the Baby Gizmo reviews again, I think the Indie Twin, Donkey and My Duo all look rather hefty and bulky to me. I really prefer something that seems a bit more petite. I thought I was really going to like the reversible seat on my Flyer, but the need for it was very short lived and my son wasn't that into it.

I am really intrigued by the MB Duet, but am more nervous about purchasing it without being able to test it first. I like the fold, it seems like a lot fewer steps than most of the other doubles I am considering. Could I do light jogging with it? What is the push and suspension like on it?

I watched the review of the Bob again and I think I really like it. It looks roomy and comfy for riders and I have pushed a Bob single and I really like the steering. They sell for close to retail on my Craigslist, so if I end up hating it or not using it very much I know I can recoup.

That would leave me to decide what car stroller I want. I like the versatility of the B-Ready and the BJCS, and I like the light weight and sleek look of the BJCMD. The B-Ready is significantly cheaper than the BJCS right now. Both seem like a pain to fold and a little bit clunky and bulky. I briefly tested both out in the store (without my son there) and couldn't really tell a difference in the push. The BJCMD seems like a good option for when my baby is a little older, but I am not sure how much I will be using a double before then anyway. I have a Honda Pilot and usually have the 3rd row folded down but don't want a stroller taking up too much room. (My single Flyer takes up about half the cargo space). Also, I can get the B-Ready right now on Amazon and have the 365 day return policy so as long as I only use it in the house and am able to get it back in the box I can play with it for awhile.

Thanks everyone so far. I can't believe how stressed out I am getting over such a seemingly small decision here. :)

hoodlims
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I am really enjoying having my daughter (19m) face me in the B-Ready. I have pushed 60lbs of kid in it, and while it is heavy, I was also having a hard time pushing the BOB (being preggo will do that to you, I guess). My DD is a total chatterbox, and she likes looking at me and interacting with me.

Kaylee31
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
That would leave me to decide what car stroller I want. I like the versatility of the B-Ready and the BJCS, and I like the light weight and sleek look of the BJCMD. The B-Ready is significantly cheaper than the BJCS right now. Both seem like a pain to fold and a little bit clunky and bulky. I briefly tested both out in the store (without my son there) and couldn't really tell a difference in the push. The BJCMD seems like a good option for when my baby is a little older, but I am not sure how much I will be using a double before then anyway. I have a Honda Pilot and usually have the 3rd row folded down but don't want a stroller taking up too much room. (My single Flyer takes up about half the cargo space). Also, I can get the B-Ready right now on Amazon and have the 365 day return policy so as long as I only use it in the house and am able to get it back in the box I can play with it for awhile.

The BJCMD has significantly dropped in price on Amazon right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Double-Stroller-Black/dp/B003WIYO0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318023536&sr=8-1
If you had a 10% registry discount, it would be even better. :) You could get both the B-Ready & BJCMD for a great price; check them out in person and return the loser.

scriptkitten
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
if i'm being practical, the Duet. I really really love mine. Its perfect for every situation, except rocky off-road trails or running.

but i'm starting to see a TON of Donkeys around town and I'm so envious. If I had twin infants, I'd be able to justify it.

cindypettyjohn
10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I am looking for a stroller for a older special needs girl 9 and a newborn in one

Candyshop1999
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
That's exactly my set up for my twins...a Bob Duallie for everything outside and a B Ready for everything inside. I had and sold a BJCS (awful) and a Vista. A lot of people have recommended a P&T to me, but there is no perfect one and only stroller for 2 kids.
Haven't tried a Duet yet, but I doubt it's half the outdoor stroller Bob is ;)

That being said, I would NEVER want to use Bob as my car stroller. Yikes!!! It so bulky, wide and the basket is weak!

poohbear
10-08-2011, 08:48 AM
That's exactly my set up for my twins...a Bob Duallie for everything outside and a B Ready for everything inside. I had and sold a BJCS (awful) and a Vista. A lot of people have recommended a P&T to me, but there is no perfect one and only stroller for 2 kids.
Haven't tried a Duet yet, but I doubt it's half the outdoor stroller Bob is ;)

That being said, I would NEVER want to use Bob as my car stroller. Yikes!!! It so bulky, wide and the basket is weak!

I would say if you want air tires and a stroller that will fit in your car, look at Phil & Ted's - they are AT and tandem. And fold small. The verve and vibe fold in one piece as well.

I have not seen the duet in person, though I am not a fan of the MB fold for car use....

legaleagle
10-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I am looking for a stroller for a older special needs girl 9 and a newborn in one

Can you tell us a little more about your 9 year old? Does she need to ride all the time? How big is she? Do you wear your newborn at all?

legaleagle
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Oops, double post