PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for older sibling (from the newborn)

janine
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
What (or are you) giving to your eldest from the newborn? I was thinking of a stuffed animal, but then also thought of a doll so she can mimic me as I take care of #2. The Stella Doll looks cute but DD1 is 3 so might be a bit old for that.

What are you doing?

misshollygolightly
10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
DD "gave" DS an awesome Lightnin' McQueen kid's digital camera when she was born! It was great--gave him a way to interact with her that didn't involve touching or potentially harming her. He was a week shy of 3 at the time and the camera was maybe a little bit complicated for him, but he seemed to figure it out pretty quickly. It's fun to see the pics he took of his new sister (some with Tow Mater and Lightnin' superimposed in the corners, he he)!

ellies mom
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
DD1 had been asking for a Mimzy bunny (from the movie) for several months and I finally found one about 6 weeks before DD2 was due so I ordered it. It was waiting at the hospital when DD1 came to meet her sister.

I love the Stella doll but I do think three might be a bit old for it. My three year old absolutely loves her Corolle Calin doll. It is still a good size for her and there are a ton of Corrolle and generic accessories available.

mommyp
10-05-2011, 10:38 PM
DS gave DD a jewelery box for her "treasures". It was a big hit! A doll is a great idea too, but DD already has a Corolle Calin that she loves (and is breastfeeding, lol).

hoodlims
10-06-2011, 01:00 AM
I think this one might be pretty personal for each kid. I do like the ideal of the camera though! We were thinking of buying our DD some sort of large stuffed horse, as they are her current obsession. I am welcome to more ideas though, and prefer something small!

My friends who have had babies recently gave: a small toy guitar and a kelty tricycle with push bar. Their kids were all under 2.

AnnieW625
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I got DD1 a big sister shirt and meant to get one for DD2, but never got around to it. She was suppose to get a Bitty Baby but the day I had planned to drive to the American Girl store to get one my DCP called me and said she was sick and couldn't pick up DD1 at preschool. I was really kind of bummed about it, but I didn't want to drive to LA the following weekend to pick it up so I just let the idea slide.

kedss
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
we gave DS a camera from DD1, we all used it to take pictures of DD1, but it was 'his' camera ;)

wendibird22
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
DD2 gave DD1 this baby doll diapering set so she could have her own diaper bag, diapers, bibs, etc. 2yrs later and she's still using it (DD2 uses it now too). The quality is fantastic and so much better than the cheapo baby care sets in the big box stores.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/21886270

pantrygirl
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I love the camera idea. We were holding off on one as she has commandeered our flip video camera and uses it deftly.

She picked out a baby giraffe stuffed animal for her younger sibling and we picked out a Corolle Calin doll for her. She asked for a boy doll as she says all her baby dolls are boys but we can't find an older boy doll anywhere.