PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My daughter's new sleep "issues"

dukie41181
10-06-2011, 03:22 PM
WTH?! she has always been a great sleeper. We moved her to a big kid bed and she did great for weeks...she wouldn't get out until we were there and she was just fine. Now in the past fe weeks so gets up all the time during naps and early in the morning! She has essentially been refusing to nap so she is cranky around 8 and in bed by 8:30 but she is waking up around 6/6:30!!!! We do not get up that early around here! I've had some success telling hermits still the middle of the night and putting her back to bed. During naps however she will constantly pull the go potty card and she doesn't usually actually have to go. This is so frustrating! So there's the change in sleep pattern and then the challenge of potty training at the same time. I don't not want to let her go if she really needs to. How are others handling these situations? And Astor naps, I don't even care if she just gets some quiet play time in her room but she stands at the gate on her door crying, whining, undressing or throwing things over it. :banghead:

JBaxter
10-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Did she climb out of her crib?

Melaine
10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Sounds like she is ready to drop the nap. That's what happened to us when we switched to the toddler beds. They were around 2.5. It kind of stinks!

dukie41181
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Did she climb out of her crib?

She had a few times but thats not why we changed her to a regular bed. We switched beds when she simply outgrew the crib...poor kid was sleeping all scrunched up because she didn't have enough length in the crib for her legs. :(

elephantmeg
10-06-2011, 09:59 PM
DS dropped his nap around the same time. And DD was an infant so I feel your pain. We had some luck with TV time during the rest time.

chozen
10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
She had a few times but thats not why we changed her to a regular bed. We switched beds when she simply outgrew the crib...poor kid was sleeping all scrunched up because she didn't have enough length in the crib for her legs. :(

wow is this your 2 1/2 yr. old she most be really tall because our almost 4yo dd who is 43" tall still naps in her crib, i know if i moved her out she would not nap!

Ceepa
10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I would stop trying to make her nap daily and bump the bedtime earlier. She still may need a nap every 2-3 days until she adjusts to the new sleep schedule.

Hang in there!

Simon
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
It is almost always easier to adjust betime or naptime than wake-up times.

Sounds like she is ready to drop her nap, some kids do by that age.

You may want to enforce quiet time, if not naptime in her room. But I find that doesn't work for all kids.

When Ds2 doesn't nap I move up bedtime by 1-1.5 hours and he sleeps very well.

dukie41181
10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
wow is this your 2 1/2 yr. old she most be really tall because our almost 4yo dd who is 43" tall still naps in her crib, i know if i moved her out she would not nap!

We had a round crib so it wasn't quite as long as a traditional crib. I think it was like 42" in diameter.

veronica
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
this just happened with 4YO DS. he was OK in his big boy bed for about 2 weeks. since then, no naps, fussing and he asks for his crib back. I'm tempted to give it to him. he gets up insanely early too - always has. he would never climb out either, just shout for us to get him so we grew tired of that and thought the bed would help.

we tried the alarm clock and told him he could not get out until he saw the 7. Well, he just ignores it and is out at 5 a.m. It is killing us. he will be quite sometimes (except the initial stomp down the hall) but by then, he wakes us all......it sucks. DD has started to at lease stay in her room until 7 but that won't lass since she knows DS is out!

scrooks
10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh gosh! I will be following this thread. We just took the front off of 4yo dd's crib. So far it hasn't been too bad... She occasionally comes into our room at night asking for help in the bathroom or to be tucked in BUT she is still willing to nap. Dh wants to fully convert the crib to a full sized bed but this thread is making me want to leave it as a "daybed crib" for awhile longer!