PDA

View Full Version : Low carb eating

mackmama
10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I am a carb lover. I don't have a sweet tooth but feel like I could easily and happily subsist on all things bread (plus pasta, beans, bananas, etc). I don't love veggies but force myself to eat them. Of course I like the higher carb veggies the most... grrr!

My exercise is very limited due to some chronic injuries, so I know that calories and carb intake are extra important for me to monitor.

Just curious how others out there who are also carb lovers handle eating low-carb as a lifestyle choice. I tend to eat low carb in bursts, and I think I need to adopt it as more of a long-term lifestyle. I just feel stuck on how to deal with the bread/carb cravings.

Also - is greek yogurt considered a high carb?

elephantmeg
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I was a total carb-aholic but it has been fairly easy to convert. Although I did have a sweet tooth. Somehow I now feel that 85% cocoa chocolate tastes sweet now as does heavy cream in my tea. For coffee I still need artificial sweetner. Luckily I do like veggies so I have subbed my daily sandwiches for a salad with meat and cheese in it. And I much prefer scrambled eggs with salsa to cereal or oatmeal. And I just made a big batch of soup (2 lbs of ground beef, 2 cans of veg-all, 1 can of beef broth, one can of roasted diced tomatoes, salt and pickapeppa sauce) for a lunch/night shift substitution now that it is getting colder.

Eating out is still a problem. Especially italian. We're planning on going to our favorite italian place tomorrow and I have NO idea what I'm going to do. Meat without the pasta plus a salad?

I think that the general idea of yogurt is that some of the carbs are eaten by the bacteria. So if it is unsweetened whole milk yogurt you can subtract 8 grams of carbs from what the container says

Kindra178
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Eating out is still a problem. Especially italian. We're planning on going to our favorite italian place tomorrow and I have NO idea what I'm going to do. Meat without the pasta plus a salad?

s

Unbreaded chicken or eggplant parm. Yum!

mackmama
10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Unbreaded chicken or eggplant parm. Yum!

This sounds good. For the chicken, would it just basically be parmesan-crusted chicken? Would that be fried though? To order, do you just say "can I have unbreaded chicken parmesan?" I never know how to order low-carb. :)

elephantmeg
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I ended up with a mediocre chicken caesar salad. Oh well.