PDA

View Full Version : MIL- We are going to visit FIL-get over it

catsnkid
10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
So my husband calls MIL at my urging to share some good news. Background- we see MIL about once a month and we drive 45 plus minutes to get there. She refuses to drive here because she is "too old"- BTW she is 62 and works full time. We were up two weeks ago and I have driven up to Mass every weekend for 3 straight weeks to see my grandpa who is dying. She immediately bugs DH about when we are coming up and wants us this weekend. DH tells her she can come down here but we don't be up for a few weeks. I suggest she coordinate with her siblings to get a ride down here- they haven't seen ds for awhile.

It comes up that we will probably see FIL who lives in Asia this spring. She complains again that he should help his real family (DH) and not his wife and family over there. She tells me that DS can't fly because he has ear tubes. I inform her that she is wrong. She says that her friend who had a husband who was a pilot told her that so it must be true. She then says she will worry too much. She then says that DS is too young. We tell her we are going anyway.

Why not just come out and say you are jealous and you don't want us to go.

KLD313
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Could your husband and I have the same mother and just not know it? LOL Hmm I live in CT too, 45 mins from my mom. Too funny!

hellokitty
10-06-2011, 09:53 PM
UGH! Don't you hate it when they act like 13 yr old girls? My mil has fits of jealousy too and does a crappy job of hiding it. I would just clam up if I were you. I have learned the hard way to NOT tell either my parents or my mil ANY details unless absolutely necessary. We often go on trips w/o either set knowing (I tell my siblings, so they know in case of emergency), b/c both sides get jealous or upset if we don't let them come with us, etc..

Edensmum
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Stop sharing information that only leads to nonsense. What she doesn't know, she can't torture you over.

catsnkid
10-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately she will notice if we are gone for 2 weeks. She tried to invite herself on our vacation (that ended up cancelled due to the hurricane). That was the first time she pulled that one. I do keep trips up to her area a secret because she will expect me to drop by with DS when it is just too much. My grandparents live pretty close to her. I feel she might as well get used to the idea. She is a major worrier. She doesn't even want DH to give DS a bath! She was jealous that her ex was visiting when dS was born and met DS about 6 hours before her. he flew out that day. BTW he hasn't seen DS since. Luckily my parents aren't like that. Mentions of MIL just inspire eyerolling. She annoyed my mother so much she is no longer invited to thanksgiving at my grandparents house.