PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Kindergarten age books

sewarsh
10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
You may have seen my earlier posts about academic expectations for the parent of a Kindergartener.

Anyways, i know we've got to read more.
I think we have to update our home library.

The oldest age books we have are probably Dr. Suess.

Can you please recommend a series of books or chapter books or age appropriate books for us to read wtih DD?

Thx.

Melaine
10-06-2011, 09:25 PM
We have been reading Charlotte's Web, and the American Girl books. I'm planning on starting the Little House books soon.

fivi2
10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
We still read a good number of picture books - usually longer, more complicated ones. Virginia Lee Burton, Bill Peet, Miss. Rumphius, etc. Or some of the ones that change perspective - Anthony Browne, David Weisner, etc...

As far as chapter books - we have done the My Father's Dragon series. A few of The Littles. We started Pippi Longstocking, but have to take it back before we finished it. We will check it out again. Also checked out Mr. Popper's Penguins, but again, have to return it. We tried Wind in the Willows, but my girls thought it was pretty dull. (we do a lot of library books)

I find it challenging (somewhat) to decide which chapter books I want to do as read alouds, and which I want to save for them to read independently.

m4nash
10-06-2011, 09:39 PM
My kindergartener loves anything by Roald Dahl. He has enjoyed Little House in the Big Woods, Ramona the Pest, Charlotte's Web, and Stuart Little. We are currently reading the first Harry Potter book. He also still loves picture books. Most of the books on this site have been a hit: http://www.readaloudamerica.org/books_K1.htm.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Berenstain Bears were our favorites then.

Beth

jjordan
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
My kindergartener loves Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (some of the Roald Dahl are a little old for kdg, IMO), Ramona, Fancy Nancy... Let's see... she also loves Junie B Jones but dh and I don't like them at ALL. I'll put in another plug for Kurt Cyrus books, especially Hotel Deep & Oddhopper Opera.

sste
10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
My son is a little younger but we have been enjoying the Cam Jensen series, my father's dragon (mentioned by a PP) and on mid-level length The Talking Eggs. Our next purchase will be the reluctant dragon. We def. have eased into longer books but Cam Jensen in particular my son devoured - - I was practically hoarse as he wanted me to read the entire thing in a sitting!

We still do picture books every day too and I hope we always will - - any chance of getting a teen to read Corduroy with me?

octmom
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
My kindergartener LOVES the Ivy and Bean series. She also likes Junie B. Jones books, but I dislike reading those aloud. Her teacher reads them at school, so I think I am off the hook for a while. We're reading one of the Clementine books now, but DD prefers Ivy and Bean.

Jen841
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
My kids have enjoyed the A to Z Mysteries and the Magic Tree House series.

For shorter books, we are all about Dr Seuss, Curious George and Froggie books. I like the Magic Schoolbus series, but they can lose interest a bit.

A book we wore out almost with my older son in K was SuperHero A B C's. Imagination started spin off stories.

brittone2
10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
The Boxcar Children, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Little House Series, My Father's Dragon, Stuart Little, Mouse and the Motorcycle series, anything E.B. White. Charlie and the Chocolate factory, James and the Giant Peach, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, The Wizard of Oz, Rudyard Kipling books, Uncle Wiggily's Storybook, The Thornton Burgess books.

Our current read aloud is The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (reading to my 4.5 and 7.5 yos) http://www.amazon.com/Last-Really-Great-Whangdoodles-Anniversary/dp/0064403149 and next up is The Doll People http://www.amazon.com/Doll-People-Ann-M-Martin/dp/0786812400/ref=pd_sim_b5

For picture books my kids have enjoyed things w/ cumulative stories like the Little Old Lady Who Was not Afraid of Anything http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+little+old+lady+who+was+not+afraid+of +anything&sprefix=the+little+old+lady. We love Elsa Beskow http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A283155%2Ck%3Awoody+ hazel+and+little+pip&keywords=woody+hazel+and+little+pip&ie=UTF8&qid=1317955147&ajr=0

smiles33
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
We are reading the Little House series and are currently reading Little Town on the Prarie. I have to say that The Long Winter was sooooo depressing and DH and I had cravings for hearty meals each night after reading to DD1! One of my favorites is Farmer Boy as he ate really well as a kid. We saved that for almost last as I knew DD1 wouldn't care about a boy main character as much as Laura.

Other than that, we still read random preschool books that are quick reads, too. FIL also bought some Disney Princess and Tinkerbell books that he reads with DD1 every week.

Katigre
10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Magic Treehouse Books are really fun for that age as read alouds, especially as introductions to chapter books.

AustenFan
10-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Winnie the Pooh
Paddington Bear
Little House series
Boxcar Children
Homer Price
The 101 Balloons

elephantmeg
10-07-2011, 06:42 AM
we have some chapter books but they are hit and miss with DS (Mrs piggle wiggle, mouse and the motor cycle)

Other books he does enjoy:
bernstain bears
curious george
little critters (mercer meyer)
the frances books (bread and jam for frances etc)

overcome
10-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Hmmmm, I don't read chapter books to my kindergartener. I am way too in love with picture books. Here is a list of my fav authors/illustrators/series:

Tomie DePaola
Jan Brett
Audrey Wood
Kevin Henkes
Sarah Stewart
ETA
Eric Carle
Virginia Lee Burton

Madeline Series
Caldecott award winners
Little House picture books
Curious George series
ETA
Angelina Ballerina series (the originals, not based on tv series)
Arthur series

ETA
High Five Magazine (Highlights for the younger crowd)
Your Big Backyard (Ranger Rick for younger crowd)

Many more...can't think of now...may update later.

Have fun reading! Don't forget to pick up a copy of The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease for you!! :)

Melaine
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Hmmmm, I don't read chapter books to my kindergartener. I am way too in love with picture books. Here is a list of my fav authors/illustrators/series:

Tomie DePaola
Jan Brett
Audrey Wood
Kevin Henkes
Sarah Stewart

Madeline Series
Caldecott award winners
Little House picture books
Curious George series

Many more...can't think of now...may update later.

Have fun reading! Don't forget to pick up a copy of The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease for you!! :)

I LOVE the Little House picture books!!!!

AngelaS
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Henry and Mudge
Piggie and Gerald for her to read to me.

For read alouds, I've read Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Cricken in Times Square, Misty of Chincoteague, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Charlotte's Web.

We also love picture books:
Chrysanthemum
Tacky the Penguin
Stellaluna
etc....