PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you need shapewear under clothing?

Katigre
10-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I recently read this book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Look-Old-Effortless/dp/0446699977/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317958634&sr=8-1) and one of the chapters was on shapewear. I'll be honest and say that I didn't even realize that it existed as something that women wore regularly. But it makes so much sense that it would be helpful.

I think I'm pretty toned everywhere and can't think of any problem areas that I want to hide/fix. The only place that I might possible want it is my torso as I have a very short waist which means I have to be work hard to keep the muscles taut and sucked in. Would shapewear help with this? If I could fine nicely colored camisoles that had a bit of toning in them that would be awesome - but I only find black and nude where I want chocolate brown.

Do most people own several pieces and wear them often? What do you like best?

mackmama
10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I've wondered this, too. I know some love Spanx "shorts" but don't know when I should wear them. I'd love some help around the midsection, but I'm not sure what would help there without creating a bulging affect above and below. Interested to hear other responses.

CaliMommy
10-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight but found that I have loose skin around my belly. All my old pants fit me, except for the loose skin part. That's when I decided to look for shape wear, vs buying new pants that would "fit" me better around the waist, but not anywhere else.

During the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, I got a pair of Spanx Simplicity High Waist Shorts (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/spanx-slimplicity-high-waist-shaper/3097523?origin=category&resultback=0). I originally went in for the regular simplicity shorts, but found that it started too low and created a muffin top look around the loose skin on my belly. The trick is to make sure that the high top doesn't get lower on my body as I wear it, and the salesperson said that she uses her bra to keep it in place. And it has worked so far... I've worn it about a dozen times and it's pretty comfy. I generally wear it if I want to wear form fitting tops with my pants or dresses.

Hope that helps!

niccig
10-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Here's one that clips to your bra to keep it up. That's the issue, they can roll down...
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/spanx-slim-cognito-mid-thigh-bodysuit-shaper-plus/3004165?origin=related-3004165-0-0-1

Katigre
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I went to Target and Kohl's and tried on several shapewear pieces for the waist. Shaping camisoles by Assets-Spanx and Maidenform Flexees, as well as some waist nippers. I also tried on the 'banish back fat' bra by Assets-Spanx because I need a new bra and they looked really comfortable.

This (http://www.maidenform.com/flexees/styles/waistnippers/flexees-easy-up-pull-on-waistnipper-2368) is the what I ended up getting - it totally smoothed out love handles on the side of my waist! Most of the shapewear flattened my tummy but didn't hourglass the sides which is where I need the most support. I like that I can wear my own underwear with it and I just tucked it into my bra and into my pants. It didn't show even under cotton and was pretty comfortable. Since I have a short torso there wasn't any gap - it ran from my bra line down over my hips which made for smooth coverage.

I want to get a Spanx Brallelujah next month - http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11946444&cp=2992555.11324772&parentPage=family (I love that they come in brown and fuschia - I hate black bras).

theriviera
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Did you find that it rolled up from the bottom? I have a spanx tank top and it won't stay down over my hips.

Katigre
10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Did you find that it rolled up from the bottom? I have a spanx tank top and it won't stay down over my hips.
It stayed down for me. I wonder if it's b/c I'm a rectangle shape? (I.e., my waist and hips are pretty much the same widtch). I also have the shaper tucked into my pants, and could tuck it into my underwear if needed which helps too.

Globetrotter
10-09-2011, 01:52 PM
uses her bra to keep it in place. And it has worked so far...

really? how do you do that? I find all my shapewear rides up or down, even the Spanx! Drives me nuts. I was thinking of getting a one piece for special occasions and got some good recos a while back, but I would love to use what i already have for everyday wear. OP, if you don't have bulges like I do, you don't need it!

I wonder if there is a clip that can attach it to the bra. off to look.

CaliMommy
10-10-2011, 02:37 AM
really? how do you do that? I find all my shapewear rides up or down, even the Spanx! Drives me nuts. I was thinking of getting a one piece for special occasions and got some good recos a while back, but I would love to use what i already have for everyday wear. OP, if you don't have bulges like I do, you don't need it!

I wonder if there is a clip that can attach it to the bra. off to look.

I put the shape wear on first, pulling it all the way up. Then I put my bra over it, making sure that the back of my bra is over the back of the shape wear. The times that I've found my shape wear riding down is when the back is too low, so that when I sit, it pulls it down even more.

theriviera
10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
It stayed down for me. I wonder if it's b/c I'm a rectangle shape? (I.e., my waist and hips are pretty much the same widtch). I also have the shaper tucked into my pants, and could tuck it into my underwear if needed which helps too.

Maybe that's it. I'm apple shaped right now but my waist is smaller than my hips by 8 inches. I tried tucking it into my underwear but I was wearing a dress and it kept rolling back up! So annoying.

pastrygirl
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I know I need it because I always have bulges over my pants/undies no matter what size I wear. If they're too big, I still have bulges. If they're too small, definitely bulges.

I also know because when I turn to the side, I look about 5 months pregnant.

I like the Hanes high-waisted shape wear undies I found at Target. The top doesn't roll down like others I've tried, and the bottom doesn't ride up. I also like the torsette-type things that have straps but you wear your own bra.