PDA

View Full Version : How do you dress your big boys for the holidays?

crl
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
We are pretty casual, but I do like to get ds something a little special for the holidays. In the past I have done a sweater vest with a tshirt underneath and either cords or jeans. But ds is now 8 and dh told me ds was too old for a sweater vest last year. I went ahead and put him in one, but I think I am past getting away with it now. I am not a huge fan of button downs, both because I don't want to iron and because they look like men's work clothes, not like boys' special clothes to me. We aren't doing anything fancy enough to warrant a suit/tie or such. I suppose a corduroy blazer might be appropriate, but I am pretty sure he won't wear it--I think he would say it was hot and not comfortable.

Long long ago Hanna had what they called a grandpa shirt. It was knit with a mandarin collar. It was awesome. But they only had it for one year. I bought it in two sizes, I loved it so much.

All i can think of is a rugby or long sleeve polo, which are nice, but are they really that special? I think I feel a little guilty because I am busy plotting a cute, but casual dress for younger dd, but I don't want ds to be left out of the cuteness/specialness.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!
Catherine

Kindra178
10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
My guys do a button down with a sweater vest (HA or Gymboree). Trendy male colleagues of mine wear sweater vests, so I don't think they are babyish. I usually don't iron them. I just hang them up after a few minutes in the dryer. A nice sweater would be cute too. Crewcuts has a ton.

Beth24
10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
My older DS loves wearing a lightweight v neck long sleeved sweater over a clean white t shirt with cords or dark black jeans. He looks very put together and it is a more sophisticated look than a sweater vest. I got him the sweaters on sale at Nordstroms last year. He has one in blue and charcoal grey.

g-mama
10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
My 10yo wore a sweater vest last year in our Christmas card pic and it looked great. My very trendy and fashionable dh wears sweater vests.

But for other alternatives....a button up, but don't bother ironing. Just take it promptly out of the dryer. That's another look my boys wear, a plaid long sleeve button-up. That includes to school, but untucked, and either unbuttoned partially over a t-shirt or buttoned up. So maybe your ds would consider wearing it more than just that one time.

You could also put him in a sweater.

Try not to feel guilty. I imagine I'd have insane amounts of fun dressing a dd if I had one. All the extras, hair accessories, tights, etc. It's just not the same dressing a boy and never will be, at any age. Good thing is, boys don't typically care, so it's not like he feels neglected in that area, I assume.

new_mommy25
10-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Two years ago I took DS shopping with me and he totally surprised me by picking a velvet blazer at TCP. It looked great on him and he got two years of wear out of it (he likes to wear it to church :) ). DS is kind of flashy though. This is the boy with bright green shoes and a lime green backpack. I actually like the button-up look so we have done that the last two years. The first year I did it over jeans with the blazer. Last year I did a plaid button-up from Gymboree with khakis.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/10940_1273268744616_1016842550_2536022_568750_n.jp ghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/47641_1654575197039_1016842550_3475155_2837472_n.j pg

crl
10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you for all the great ideas! And such wonderful pictures. :love-retry: I think asking ds if he'd like to pick something out is a great idea. He may say no but maybe he'd like the idea! He tends to very bright colors and some, umm, clashing patterns so I think I'd need to offer a few choices rather than free reign. (The completely different color families of tie dye shirts put together is okay for school, but I'd like to avoid it for the holiday outfit. :D)

Catherine

hellokitty
10-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Can I just say that I am sick and tired of sweater vests? Last yr, I was able to get matching ones at Janie and Jack for my three boys. HOWEVER, I had to fight DS1, since he says, "they are too cute." So, at the age of 7, I think we are past the sweater vest phase now, and I honestly don't blame him. He can just wear a button down shirt or a regular sweater.