PDA

View Full Version : Sleepwear for big 6 month old

echoesofspring
10-08-2011, 12:20 AM
DS is popping out of his 6m sleepwear, and almost out of his 9m as well, for the most part Carters, etc. type brands. The problem is that I really like the fabrics that are used for the 0-9m sleepwear - heavier weight cotton, terrycloth, etc. Those fabrics don't seem to be used in larger sized sleepwear, I guess because of the flame retardant requirements. Can you suggest a brand, etc. I'm trying to stay away from flame retardants, and I'm not crazy about fleece, it seems like it would be too hot inside a swaddle or sleepsack, and the only other option I'm seeing is a very thin cotton for the 'snug fit'. I ordered a bunch of those not realizing how thin they are, but the biggest problem with them is that they fit him really funny since they are long and lean and he's long for 6m but also really chubby. I may just put them aside for when he's more mobile and skinnier.

I see HA mentioned a lot here - I've sort of balked at the price but I guess I could be convinced if he was going to get several months of use out of them. Any other ideas? Maybe Gap? The baby dept at our gap is tiny I haven't seen a lot of sleepwear there. Should I just abandon the footed sleepwear and dress him in onesies and sweatpants? I wish I could just buy him his 6m sleepers in a larger size - TIA

citymama
10-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Girl, you are in luck! Hanna Andersson outlets are having a big sleepwear sale this weekend. Go to the website, check out store locations and start calling the outlets in the morning! The IN one tends to be well stocked. Depending on his height you could get him size 70 or 80 zippers (one piece zip ups) and you could also buy two piece long Johns in 80 or 90 for later. They're 100% organic cotton, no flame retardants, now on sale at $10 (down from $25). The outlets will take your order by phone and ship (same rates as on the website). The sale is for holiday prints - if they have stripes, grab them bc they're the softest.

If you have a Costco near you, check them out ASAP bc they've been selling zipper pjs as well in a range of cute prints for $11.99.

HA doesn't make cotton footed sleepwear - we pair the pjs with socks or a sleepsack. I found the Gap footies to be as thin as the Carters, which was too thin for us. Petit Bateau is a French brand with really thick, soft clothing, but they're pricey and hard to find. So, we love our Hannas!

Beth24
10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Girl, you are in luck! Hanna Andersson outlets are having a big sleepwear sale this weekend. Go to the website, check out store locations and start calling the outlets in the morning! The IN one tends to be well stocked. Depending on his height you could get him size 70 or 80 zippers (one piece zip ups) and you could also buy two piece long Johns in 80 or 90 for later. They're 100% organic cotton, no flame retardants, now on sale at $10 (down from $25). The outlets will take your order by phone and ship (same rates as on the website). The sale is for holiday prints - if they have stripes, grab them bc they're the softest.

If you have a Costco near you, check them out ASAP bc they've been selling zipper pjs as well in a range of cute prints for $11.99.

HA doesn't make cotton footed sleepwear - we pair the pjs with socks or a sleepsack. I found the Gap footies to be as thin as the Carters, which was too
thin for us. Petit Bateau is a French brand with really thick, soft clothing, but they're pricey and hard to find. So, we love our Hannas!

Yes yes yes! Get Hanna long John's and zippers, esp on sale right now...$10 is the cheapest you will fin them.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-08-2011, 12:17 PM
i just have to echo the recommendation for Hanna PJs. they are the best things ever.

like you, i had my DS in footed pjs (carters, littleme, etc) until he was about 8-9 months old. and my ds was very tall too (e.g. he was wearing 12 month sleepers when he was 6-7 months). i had the same problem as you..most carters' sleepers went only up to 9 months old, and i HATED the flame-retardant fabrics on the ones for older kids.

this is what made me start getting into Hanna. when ds was about 9 months i went to a Hanna store and checked out the zipper PJs. they were AMAZING..so soft, organic cotton and none of that weird flame resistant fabric that pills like crazy after one washing. i ended up buying a set, and later buying more zippers for really cheap on sale and from the outlets (they sell them for $11.99 at costco too). I bought size 80 then, which were too big but totally fine if you just folded over the cuffs. and my DS *just* grew out of these size 80 PJs last week, so he almost wore them for an entire year.

the best thing about hanna zipper pjs too is that since they don't have feet, they last waaay longer. i would get so annoyed that my DS would grow out of footed pjs so fast, bc he was so freaking tall! if i would buy a bigger size, my DS would be tripping over the "feet" that were too long.

btw, Hanna does make footed pjs for baby, but they are polyester and are very limited selection..there is like just 3 or 4 of them, and they are all in prints, not stripes which are really soft.

echoesofspring
10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
alright I took the plunge and got a 3 pairs of the sale HA LJ's. I couldn't find them online in the winter catalog (I guess they are more holiday themed, but not too holiday themed, ifkwim), but they sounded cute on the phone, and you could pretty much get me anything out of the catalog and i'd like it.... I'll be close to costco tomorrow so maybe I'll hit them up as well....

ms pacman, That's a great point about the footed sleeper having a short "lifespan" as baby gets taller, I never really thought about it like that, but totally true.

Thanks everyone!

citymama
10-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Awesome! Just curious: what outlet did you call? I ordered from OR on Thurs but I am considering getting more as gifts!

catsnkid
10-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I love TCP cotton sleepers and Carters make similar 100 % cotton ones. I am picky about fleece myself, will pretty much only use TCP or regular Carter's fleece items. Will not purchase anything poly/cotton.

echoesofspring
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
citimama - I ordered from WA.