PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Your Fave Winter Coat For 15 mo

Bootsie
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I have b/g twins and am looking for something car seat safe for winter. They have LL Bean buntings from last winter that still might fit for when they need something full body, but I was hoping to also find a jacket length coat. What is cute, warm and comfortable? Where should I look?

HIU8
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
A fleece zip up or pull over is all you should have for the car. My DD did have an LLBean Katahdin which is about as heavy as you should use in a carseat (but I'll be honest in that it was still a bigger pain to deal with than just the fleece). If you want to get warmer winter coats, you can just strap your DC into the seats first and put the coats on backwards (as blankets with arms) if they will stand for that.

Kindra178
10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
My boys wore these in the carseats:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/baby-puff-rider-jacket?p=60483-0-425&pcc=1128

These are thin too:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/baby-reversible-puff-ball-jacket?p=60187-0-653

Barely thicker than a fleece and really warm. I couldn't handle a winter of doing full one piece fleeces again, especially times 2. If we lived in an area with a more reasonable winter and if had an attached garage, I probably would have done thick fleeces instead.

Simon
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I used those LLBean buntings for the first two winters though the second winter we also used fleece pull overs for the car seat and a 1-piece REI snowsuit for outdoor play.

Our go to fleece are from Land's End, but FWIW, I haven't found much difference in warmth between the inexpensive (Children's Place, Cherokee, etc) and high quality (Land's End) fleece if it is mostly a car seat coat. Then again, my kids have always been warmer than other passengers when in their car seats.

My biggest criteria is for NO HOOD. It either bunches up behind their neck or I find that the kids overheat if I pull it on their head. Instead, they start with a hat and remove when they want.

citymama
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
We wear the Hanna best baby fleece jackets with layers for the northern Cal winters and DD1 wore hers on the east coast in all but the coldest weather, for which we had a Hanna fleece bunting.

rolypoly27
10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
We're using the Hanna best baby fleece jacket for DD for chilly SoCal days. We are layering of course because the weather almost always warms up by the afternoon. It's perfect for our weather, whether it's in or out of the car. It comes with a hood, which can bunch up behind the head in the carseat, but it doesn't bother me (or DD) that much. I find it very useful to just plop the hood on her head when we are out of the car and not have to worry about a hat.

Bootsie
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm off to look/shop.

hoodlims
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I like these for SoCal winters. They do have a hood though. You can find them in girls and boys versions, or gender neutral. They are the L.L. Bean fleece lined hoodies. I even bought myself one. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52003?feat=626-SR1