PDA

View Full Version : Bob revolution se or baby summit xc-updated please read

rai
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I wrote a long post earlier today, but it wasn't posted. So here goes a condensed version.

I thought I was going to get the bob, but I read that the stroller is not the best choice for tall kids. My daughter is 10 months old and in the mid-90th percentile for height. I have no idea how this will translate to her toddler height, but I want a stroller that will last me a good while. Also, the stroller doesn't have a handbrake. I live in an area with some mild hills, so I would prefer one with a handbrake. However, I don't know if this is a big issue.

The summit seems to be good for taller kids and it has a handbrake, however reviews talk about the stroller pulling to one side. But I called baby jogger and they said that they now make the stroller with an alignment adjuster on the front wheel (similar to BoB) and if the stroller I buy doesn't have it, they will mail one out to me. So perhaps the tracking issue is solved?

I want the stroller for jogging (maybe 2-3 times a week for 3 miles) although at the beginning it will be for walks. Also, I'll use the stroller in areas that are too bumpy for my Bee +

Any and all advice is appreciated. I plan to buy the stroller this Friday so I can catch the sale at REI.

Thanks!

Kaylee31
10-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I would try them out in person if possible. They are both nice strollers. The Summit does have a taller seatback, but most kids still fit into a BOB until 3-4 at least.
BOB pros:
Better push (and quality too, imo. Summit has a lot of plastic parts).
Pushes well, but feels stiffer & not as nimble as BOB (or MBs)
Better resale
2011s have a firmer & more upright seat than the Summit
Folds with the seat on the inside, and not exposed so less likely to get dirty,
which I like.

Summit pros:
Taller seat - fits bigger kids more comfortably (but seat is super hammocky-- my 2 yr. old liked it, but younger kids may not)
One-strap recline is easier to use and has a deeper recline than BOBs
Mesh back for better airflow when reclined
One step fold is slightly easier & more compact than BOBs, but not by much
Has a handbrake, which is nice for running & hills
Taller handlebar than BOBs (which is a pro or con, depending on your height. I'm
5'2" and thought they were both comfy, but BOBs was better for my height)

BayGirl2
10-11-2011, 02:14 PM
After much of the same debate I just got a Summit double. For me it was the flatter recline, handbrake, and BJ fold that swayed me. I was able to play with both singles in the store and I just like the features of the Summit better. I haven't noticed any difference in the push. A Mountain Buggy was my 2nd choice but the fold is too big for my car. Kaylee's summary above is good, a lot is a matter of personal preference.

roseyloxs
10-11-2011, 02:21 PM
a lot is a matter of personal preference.

:yeahthat:

If you are a push snob (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) then you will want the BOB. If you are into features then the Summit is for you. I myself tend to lean towards features but that BOB push is nice.

BayGirl2
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
:yeahthat:

If you are a push snob (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) then you will want the BOB. If you are into features then the Summit is for you. I myself tend to lean towards features but that BOB push is nice.

Well said! I tend to want features too. And compared to my Vista and Mac 4 Seasons the push is better on the Summit. Also compared to my old Kelty JoyRider fixed wheel jogger the push is better or the same. But I know people here LOVE the Bob push, so I'm sure its great in real life usage situations.

rai
10-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks ladies. I haven't been to REI yet. I plan to go Thursday evening. Hmmn, I don't consider myself a push snob :bighand:, but I guess we all have little snobbery in us. :jammin: Especially, when we are looking at strollers that cost greater than $300.

I love nice features, which is why I think the Summit is calling my name. I'm just so worried that it will be a pain to run with. There are soooooo many reviews out there on the BOB revolution with regards to running and not too many with reviews for the summit.

I was checking out the Craiglist in my area. There are a couple of BOB, but not one BJ summit.

WatchingThemGrow
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
The summit is only a few years old. You will find tons of old BJ's on CL I'm sure!

rai
10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
The summit is only a few years old. You will find tons of old BJ's on CL I'm sure!

OK, so that explains it!

hoodlims
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Definitely check them out in store. My daughter is 20 months and in the 99% percentile for height and still fits in the BOB just fine with room to spare. I think the seat is quite slouchy, which may allow for more room.

rai
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Definitely check them out in store. My daughter is 20 months and in the 99% percentile for height and still fits in the BOB just fine with room to spare. I think the seat is quite slouchy, which may allow for more room.

Thanks! If you had to guess,how much longer do you think your daughter will be able to fit in it?

hoodlims
10-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Probably until she is too old to be in a stroller! Maybe closer to 5? I mean, I have never even looked at her once in the stroller and thought, "Wow, we are nearing the top here." Whereas in my new B-Ready, I can already tell she only has a few inches (less than 5) left on top to go.

rai
10-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Well said! I tend to want features too. And compared to my Vista and Mac 4 Seasons the push is better on the Summit. Also compared to my old Kelty JoyRider fixed wheel jogger the push is better or the same. But I know people here LOVE the Bob push, so I'm sure its great in real life usage situations.

How is the push on the Summit XC?

rai
10-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Probably until she is too old to be in a stroller! Maybe closer to 5? I mean, I have never even looked at her once in the stroller and thought, "Wow, we are nearing the top here." Whereas in my new B-Ready, I can already tell she only has a few inches (less than 5) left on top to go.

Ok, good to hear. Do you ever wish the stroller had a handbrake? Do you see a need for one when jogging?

BayGirl2
10-12-2011, 01:03 PM
How is the push on the Summit XC?

Push has been good for me. Compared to my Vista in singles mode and a Mac Seasons (Ryder) its really good, as I would expect. In the store it feels comparable to a Bob, but I haven't taken the Bob out with kids to compare. My 3 week old fits in the seat fully reclined with a snuzzler, but she's not so into stroller riding yet. My 2yo loves it. He's 35 inches and probably has 6+ inches to grow at least.

I like having the handbrake and I haven't even jogged on hills yet. Its useful on mildly hilly sidewalk and at crosswalks, which all have little ramps around here. Since the stroller is heavy and smooth moving it tends to gain momentum quickly and its easier to press the hand brake than try to hold it back.