PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your stock pot

rolypoly27
10-11-2011, 06:54 PM
For making batches of soups, stews, chilis, etc. I'd prefer to avoid teflon coating.

AnnieW625
10-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a Calphalon non stick stock pot which isn't a teflon coating, it's their own non stick coating. You can read about it on their website. However if I had to do it over again I'd probably get a Le Cresuet enameled cast iron stock pot. The Le Creuset store at the Citadel Outlets has an outlet sale a few times a year and I can't tell the difference on the seconds at all. My mom has been using a Revere Ware stock pot for the last 30+ years and has been happy with it.

lhafer
10-11-2011, 07:58 PM
My Lodge 6 quart dutch oven. It's awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-6-Quart-Dutch-Emerald/dp/B0012N7G60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318377581&sr=8-1

And replace the knob with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-L9403-45-Stainless-Steel-2-Inch-Replacement/dp/B0014JRN0Q/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

larig
10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
we have the big le creuset one--it is divine.

eagle
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
i cant recommend the ikea ones enough. i know its strange, but they are very very good. i say before you splurge on a higher end one, get one if theres an ikea around you. try it out for a month. you wont lose too much trying it out.

squimp
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
My Lodge 6 quart dutch oven. It's awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-6-Quart-Dutch-Emerald/dp/B0012N7G60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318377581&sr=8-1

Yes! I got this for Christmas and I love it. A Le Creuset would be nice, but they are sooo much more expensive. This has a ceramic coating and cleans up so nicely.

daisymommy
10-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Tramontina stainless steel stock-pot from Walmart, rated as highly as All-Clad by Cooks Illustrated. I paid under $29 for it, and it has a pasta strainer insert too. Very nice and tall.

But I do adore my 6 quart Lodge Dutch Oven too (the one previously mentioned). But it's more shallow, and I use it for smaller quantities of soup and roasts.

clc053103
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Got a LE crueset during a bed bath and beyond on line coupon sale that didn't exclude LE creuset. At 20% off it was comparable to the seconds price at the outlet. Love it. Want an entire set of cookware, I am slowly working on it!

rolypoly27
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will buy a larger (12 qt?) stockpot for big batches and a smaller 6-qt dutch oven for smaller meals. Unless I get the Kirkland stainless steel cookware set, in which case I may just use the 8-qt stockpot that comes with it and then get a 6-qt cast iron dutch oven to complement.

I may end up splurging on a Le Creuset one since DH and I have been wanting one for so long, but I love your recommendations for the Lodge one (and great tip on the replacement knob!). We have two Lodge cast iron skillets that we adore so we are aware of the quality. I also found one at Costco that looks really nice and is made in France (Lodge one is made in China I believe). I don't know if that makes a difference at all but thought I'd point it out. What do you all think of Lodge vs. Kirkland dutch oven?

Aishe
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I'd get the Kirkland over the Lodge. If you read some threads on the Chowhound message boards you will be persuaded that you want something made in France. They're seriously fanatical over there about cookware and the collective opinion seems to be that enameled cast iron made in France is significantly higher quality than stuff made in China. Plus, since it's Costco you can return it for any reason if you're not happy with it.

Cuckoomamma
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a 6, 8 and 12 qt Calphalon tri-ply stock pot. Love them all and use the 12 qt once a week to make stock.

I have a huge Le Creuset (can't remember the size), but it's very heavy and not 12 qt :-)

I even throw the 12 qt in the dishwasher.

Have fun!