PDA

View Full Version : If it were anyone else in the family...

hbridge
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
So I think I know the answer, but is it possible to do a lice check on ones-self?

I am totally paranoid and live in fear of head lice. Late last week I was working with a socially awkward middle school student who was scratching his head (front and top) like crazy (He didn't seem itchy in the back or behind his ears). I never asked him about it since he is so nervous and awkward anyway. Now I am totally paranoid! Of course I came home to a ridiculuous weekend of stress, ect. and am only now starting to really get concerned.

Yesterday morning I had put the issue to rest in my head only to find something (lint from my scarf, a bug, I don't know what?) in my hair yesterday afternoon while working with another student. This unknown small "thing" was in front at my part line. I didn't investigate since I was working and now the paranoia is back!

I'm not sure what to do. I KNOW (in my head) that the chances of me catching lice from this student are slim to none. However, I have visions of the little buggers flying through the air as he was scratching away.

How can I check myself? There is no one that I can ask to do it for me...

sarahsthreads
10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
It's possible to do it yourself, though it might not be as thorough. When DD1 had lice, I had DH check my head the first time, but I checked a couple of times after myself because I was paranoid. You need a good lice comb, some clips to put your hair into sections, and some conditioner.

Get your hair wet and detangle it first. Then part your hair into tiny sections and comb through one at a time, starting right at the scalp. Wipe the comb on a paper towel after every swipe. If you use white conditioner, anything that shouldn't be there should show up clearly on the towel after you wipe the comb.

With DD1, the lice were pretty much all right near the front/top of her head. I don't think I found a single one near her ears or the back where they're "supposed" to live, so I don't think location of itchiness is a good indication.

And they don't fly or jump, so it seems highly unlikely, unless your hair was touching his for an extended period of time, that you could have caught them, but by all means check if it makes you feel better! Seriously, before we discovered DD1 had them, she spent the entire week coming in our room in the middle of the night and sleeping in our bed ON MY PILLOW every night. So if I didn't catch them from that, I think it must be pretty hard to get them!

Good luck!

Sarah :)