PDA

View Full Version : Love to hear your opinions and experience!

Bumbleride
10-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey Windsor Mamas,

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience with:

1. 3 vs. 4 wheel urban lightweight strollers. Which do you prefer and why?

2. Air filled vs. foam filled tires for urban use. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

bekahjean
10-12-2011, 12:32 PM
1) For a single, I have an Easywalker Classic that I got when Will was a baby. It is a three wheeler and a great stroller. The only thing that I dislike about is it that because it is so lightweight (I think it's around 15lbs) it can become quite tippy. I never hang anything from the handle because it has tipped before. With that said, I think I would buy a 3 wheeled stroller again, as long as it was better balanced. Also, my kids are older and heavier now, so I don't worry about tipping as much as I did when they were little babies.
e.t.a - The biggest reason that I picked the ew classic was that it had the A.T. features that I wanted (lightweight, air tires) AND it fit into the trunk of my MINI.

When the time came to look for a double, I ended up buying an Indie Twin (LOVE!) because I wanted a stroller with a wider base. I picked the Indie Twin because it was suitable from birth, took a carrycot, and had 4 air tires. If I was buying now, with a 3 y.o. and a 1 y.o., I might make a different decision.

2) Air tires. I hate foam, plastic, anything but air tires.

Multimama
10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I like 3-wheel strollers better in general, but when it comes to lightweight strollers I think 4 wheels are better if we are talking truly lightweight. Peg Perego actually had to change the design of the Vela and add a fourth wheel and I'm pretty sure that's because it was too tippy. (Reviewers claimed it tipped with their child in it.) The Quinny Zapp also has four wheels in the US because the 3-wheel European design is too tippy. (And it is very tippy!)

I prefer air tires for all strollers. The ride is smoother, better performance outdoors, and you can also adjust the ride by adjusting tire pressure to your preference. But sometimes on lightweight strollers the tires get pretty small and then it can be hard to find replacement parts for air tires if they puncture. I've never had this problem, but I've heard the complaint.

arivecchi
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Windsor Mamas,

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience with:

1. 3 vs. 4 wheel urban lightweight strollers. Which do you prefer and why?

2. Air filled vs. foam filled tires for urban use. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

1. 3 wheels - easier to maneuver in tight spots and crows and usually more attractive.

2. Air filled for sure. I would much rather deal with the possibility of a flat than tolerate a foam filled tire.

legaleagle
10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
What exactly do you mean by urban use? Mostly inside with a few bumpy sidewalks?

I personally prefer 4 wheels because of the tippy issue and because they're shorter front to back. Not sure exactly what they're called, but for a lightweight stroller I really like solid rubber tires with suspension like those found on the cybex callisto.

roseyloxs
10-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I personally prefer 4 wheels because of the tippy issue and because they're shorter front to back. Not sure exactly what they're called, but for a lightweight stroller I really like solid rubber tires with suspension like those found on the cybex callisto.

:yeahthat:

I used to prefer 3 wheels but I have changed into a 4 wheel fan. Besides the tipping issue its easier to go up and down stairs with four wheels. However 3 wheeled strollers do tend to look nicer/sleeker.

I prefer air tires to foam filled. As the PP said above though for very lightweight strollers I am satisfied with solid rubber tires and a good suspension like the callisto or bugaboo bee.

crl
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I definitely prefer air tires. Much better push and smoother over cracked sidewalks, etc. I live in San Francisco and walk a ton.

I don't have a strong 3 wheel vs 4 wheel preference.

Catherine

ashleybama24
10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I prefer 4 wheels for a lightweight stroller. I am not sure whether or not I prefer air or foam filled. I think for urban settings one or the other is necessary for uneven terrain such as broken sidewalks and cobble stones. Air tires are lighter but then require a pump to be with you at all times or risk having a flat and not being able to use your stroller. I found that out the hard way and had to take the tire to a bike store to be changed because I couldn't get the tire off to replace the tube. That would be super annoying if you lived in a big city and were out and about when it happened. On the other hand foam filled mean no flats but are heavier.

Bumbleride
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the great feedback everyone and especially the mamas I have worked and chatted with on here in the past!

How do you all feel about air tires on an all terrain stroller like Indie? Do you prefer the smooth ride of air tires over the possibility of a flat or vice versa?

What is your experience and opinions on chambered air tires or foam filled air/rubber tires? They seem to offer a similar push to air without the risk of a flat but I don't think they absorb as many bumps offering a slightly rougher ride.

Thank you for sharing!

Multimama
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you for the great feedback everyone and especially the mamas I have worked and chatted with on here in the past!

How do you all feel about air tires on an all terrain stroller like Indie? Do you prefer the smooth ride of air tires over the possibility of a flat or vice versa?

What is your experience and opinions on chambered air tires or foam filled air/rubber tires? They seem to offer a similar push to air without the risk of a flat but I don't think they absorb as many bumps offering a slightly rougher ride.

Thank you for sharing!

For me, air tires are a must on an all-terrain stroller. In short, it's not all-terrain if it doesn't have air tires. (If you change the Indie's tires to foam I will be mad, mad mad. :) The push will take a real hit and for what? I have never had any problem with my air tires and love the flexibility of being able to get the exact push that feels most comfortable for you and your baby. ETA: That being said, I have heard of people having problems with their Indie tires vs. other air-filled tire strollers. Please consider upgrading to more durable tires rather than down-grading to foam if that's the problem you are addressing. Or you could offer alternative tires as an accessory like StrollAir does.

I wouldn't bike with a foam-filled tire and I won't push an all-terrain stroller with foam-filled tires either. :)

MamaBear
10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
I have a strong preference for four wheels. I've recently bought a P&T, and have quickly come to dislike the long footprint and the lack of stability for going over curbs and the like. I also find it rather difficult to manoeuvre, which surprises me.

I haven't tried foam-filled AT tires, but have a number of strollers with air tires. I've had one flat in 5 years of hard hard use. (My Cameleon was my only stroller for 3 years, and for one of those years we lived in pedestrian-friendly cities and I walked far more than I drove.) I'm sold on air tires!

legaleagle
10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree with Multimama that it's not an AT stroller without air tires. That said, I've noticed salespeople at a lot of fancy baby stores do the concept of air tires a real disservice by 1) not keeping them properly inflated and 2) overselling the possibility of flats and 3) not discussing the compromises of foam. I think selling one or the other as an accessory (or as a choice up front) is a good compromise.

MamaBear
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I think selling one or the other as an accessory (or as a choice up front) is a good compromise.

Fantastic idea!!

(I also cringe when any three-wheel stroller is described as a jogger, rather than jogger-style. But I'm pedantic like that :wink2:)

swissair81
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I definitely prefer air tires. I have used strollers with wheels that were supposedly just like air, and there is no comparison.

I don't mind 4 wheels, although I'm not a huge fan of the 2 small front wheel trend. I really prefer 3, if those are the choices.

crl
10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Thank you for sharing!

For me, definitely air tires on the indie and similar strollers. I would never, ever have bought my indie without air tires. I have pushed my neighbor's vista and I think those tires kill the push, especially as the kid gets heavier.

Catherine

mackmama
10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with Multimama that it's not an AT stroller without air tires. That said, I've noticed salespeople at a lot of fancy baby stores do the concept of air tires a real disservice by 1) not keeping them properly inflated and 2) overselling the possibility of flats and 3) not discussing the compromises of foam. I think selling one or the other as an accessory (or as a choice up front) is a good compromise.

I definitely prefer air tires. I just bought a new Indie yesterday, and I would not buy an AT stroller without air tires. I also agree that stroller salespeople tend to oversell the possibility of flats and do not discuss the downside to foam tires.

Per your earlier question, I would also want air tires on a lightweight stroller.

Thanks for seeking our thoughts - you are a great, customer-oriented company!

Multimama
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
That said, I've noticed salespeople at a lot of fancy baby stores do the concept of air tires a real disservice by 1) not keeping them properly inflated and 2) overselling the possibility of flats and 3) not discussing the compromises of foam.

This is so true. In fact, it was at a boutique baby store that I first heard anyone say there was a problem with Indie air tires. (I don't own an Indie so no experience there, but I have never had a problem with my Baby Jogger air tires.) They said when customers come in with a flat tire they just give them a replacement tire. So maybe *they* are the ones who prefer foam tires. There's no compromise in push if you're the one selling the stroller not pushing it and then you don't have to deal with your customer's maintenance issues.

Thanks for seeking our thoughts - you are a great, customer-oriented company!

Someday I hope to own a Bumbleride. Maybe when you make an Indie with a reversible seat. :D

momtoax3
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I briefly had a Cameleon and had both air and foam tires, and honestly, didn't notice a difference.

As an owner of an Indie and Indie Twin, I would love to have the option of foam filled rubber tires like Baby Jogger and Bugaboo (Cameleon, maybe others?) have.... Of course, I am one of the ones who has a terrible time keeping my tires inflated, so it is a huge pain of having to check and refill them every other time we go out. I was recently going to try replacing all 7, yes 7 tires, but thought I would contact CS first (I have contacted Bumbleride and as always, their CS is the best I have experienced, and they are working to resolve this issue).

If you have any prototype foam filled rubber tires, I would love to try some out and give you honest feedback.

mom3boys
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I prefer air tires. My first ever stroller was a 3-wheeled AT (Valco, not Bumbleride, sorry!). In FIVE years I never had one flat and never replaced a tire. So yes, I think there is an overselling of the "no more flat tires!" on strollers with foam wheels, flats are not always a big problem.

And my Valco could go over virtually everything. Occasionally the tires would get a little low, what I did like was that Valco included the tire pump and it even had its own little pocket in the stroller, so I was never without it. So yes I had to fill them from time to time, but I could feel the difference when I pushed it with the tires properly inflated.

My only "foam" tire experience has been with an Uppababy Vista, I think that is not quite the same as "forever air" that I see with BJ and Bugaboo Cameleon where they apparently take a rubber tire that looks like a regular tire and fill it with foam? Anyway, you'll see in a previous thread that I just don't like the push of the Uppababy that much. I think it may partly be a suspension issue but the tires also have something to do with it--there is no "give" on the Uppababy tires.

Also, I do prefer the 3 wheels with a 1 big wheel upfront vs. two little wheels. I just like the look better, although I know it often means the back wheelbase has to be wider for stability. Also strollers with the 2 little wheels upfront always seem like copies of Bugaboo Frog or Cam to me (I mean, obviously it was a good design, just not novel anymore). I was fairly impressed with the Valco Quad, which has 10" air tires and the two little wheels upfront. It pushes well and is fairly lightweight and narrow--although I am used to big strollers so my definition of lightweight might be different than others!

roseyloxs
10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I want real air tires. I had both an indie and an indie twin and never had a problem with my tires. Not a one. The only time I experienced a flat was in Oklahoma because of these horrible needle pricks in the grass. Was not a bumbleride issue since my friend got 3 flats with her BOB! So if I had to live there I would want foam filled but luckily I don't.

pastrygirl
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Real air tires, definitely. I've never had a flat, so I'm not too concerned about that.

PGTB
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I briefly had a Cameleon and had both air and foam tires, and honestly, didn't notice a difference.

As an owner of an Indie and Indie Twin, I would love to have the option of foam filled rubber tires like Baby Jogger and Bugaboo (Cameleon, maybe others?) have.... Of course, I am one of the ones who has a terrible time keeping my tires inflated, so it is a huge pain of having to check and refill them every other time we go out. I was recently going to try replacing all 7, yes 7 tires, but thought I would contact CS first (I have contacted Bumbleride and as always, their CS is the best I have experienced, and they are working to resolve this issue).

If you have any prototype foam filled rubber tires, I would love to try some out and give you honest feedback.

I had the Chameleon with the rubber tires and it felt smoother to me than my new Bob with 16inch air tires at least on cobblestones. Given the suspension mechanism is the same without a doubt the air tires are much better and smoother. However, in some cases for certain design, if the suspension is well executed like on the Bugaboo Cam/Frog you would barely notice the difference at all. These little front wheels have amazing mechanism that cushions the ride without the need for air. I'coo Pacific I owned had similar design and foam filled tires but poor suspension and it was a rougher ride by far.

For urban use I honestly prefer a shorter footprint of a 4 wheel stroller and the one with the 2 small wheels up front. I live in NYC and I used following strollers extensively: Cam, Bee+, Bob with 16 inch tires, Micralite FF Superlite, I'coo Pacific. I use the Bob most of the times for long 6 miles walks we have every weekend, but I hate how restricted we feel should we veer off the beaten path to go to more crowded places, the stroller feels long. I didn't feel as restricted with the Cam. For the AT stroller and especially for jogging I prefer the 3 wheel design.

BTW, I test drove the Indie outside and loved it! It is a very cushy stroller and I would highly recommend for anyone with the newborn, very smooth ride and comfy seat. I hope you keep the air tires.

FWIW, not all aire tires feel the same. I have two strollers with air tires, Micralite FF Superlite and Bob. Bob's tires are encasted in the thick EVA layer seems like to make them puncture resistant. So, when Bob's tires are fully inflated, the ride is a bit bumpy I noticed and much cushier when the tires are ever slightly deflated (they have more give). Micralite tires are regular tires and I always felt them to be more cushy.

So, I guess maybe providing harder casing for the tires could make them less prone to puncture and not having them inflated to the max would still provide nice cushion?

mariza
10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Overall I prefer air tires, but would LOVE it if stroller companies gave you the option to buy foam tires that you could swap out. Air tires are great for long walks and rougher terrain, but when traveling or just going to the mall it would be nice to have the option to switch to lighter foam tires. I really don't have a preference between 3 wheels and four. As long as baby is comfy and safe and the stroller handles and folds easily I'm a happy mom!

ashleybama24
10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I have both a Indie Twin (air tires) and a Baby Jogger Elite Single (foam filled) and actually prefer the foam filled tires. I had a flat after the second time I used the Twin and could not get the tire off to replace the tube at all. I had to go to a bike shop, twice, to get it fixed. With 2 kids, the last thing I want to take with me on top of all the baby gear is a pump and spare tubes each time I use my stroller just in case. Maybe flats don't happen often but they are a pain when they do. I know I am in the minority so offering tire options air vs foam vs rubber as an accessory would be great.

blackiris
10-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Having just purchased an indie twin (which I, so far, adore), I will say I'm a bit nervous about having problems with the tires. But, I think the double especially benefits from the air tires. In addition, I think the indie twin is the lightest all terrain double (maybe other than the duet?) and adding the foam filled tires would make it heavier. I love the bouncy ride which would probably suffer with foam.
I own a cameleon with foam filled tires which I LOVE and it's amazing not having to worry about flats like my friend with a frog does, but maybe it'd be even better with air? With a single, I'm willing to give up the slightly better push for not having to worry since I live in the city and my stroller is my car. And yes, for urban use, I much prefer the narrower, shorter 4 wheeler to a 3 wheeler. Honestly, I think the indie (for what is is) and indie twin are awesome, comfortable for kids, beautiful strollers and if you change anything on them, it should just be making the tires more durable and less prone to flats.
And make a reversible indie twin. I'd buy that in a second (assuming it's not $1500 :)).

roseyloxs
10-19-2011, 06:51 AM
And make a reversible indie twin. I'd buy that in a second (assuming it's not $1500 :)).

wow. That would be awesome. I may even pay $1500 for it. Okay, I probably wouldn't but I would pay a lot.

legaleagle
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh, a reversible indie/twin would be awesome. So much prettier than a donkey, I'm sure.

Any plans for a lighter weight double? Maybe something in between sturdiness of the flyer and flite, but with single wheels (with suspension/ball bearings), which I think look and push way better than double wheels, generally. They always look more expensive/classier - I'd probably consider a peg perego now just from that change. Or just change out the flyer/flite wheels to singles now.

PRmommy
10-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm in the minority as well, but I much prefer foam filled (not plastic-like tires) than air filled. I actually purchased foam filled tires for my Frog b/c the air filled ones kept slowly leaking air. My weekends are full with enough errands, I don't want to add one more thing to the list by having to go to a bike store to change out tubes.

I don't have a stong preference on 3 v 4 wheel.

PeppyParents
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Someday I hope to own a Bumbleride. Maybe when you make an Indie with a reversible seat. :D

I second that idea!

mom3boys
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I just wanted to add as a couple of PP have mentioned--foam or air filled might not matter so much if the suspension is good. I mean, a Bugaboo Bee pushes great on those little rubber wheels. I just got a Teutonia stroller and the suspension is great. The wheels are cool (tubeless air tires) and clearly have some give compared to Vista wheels (no give), but I think the suspension may be making more of a difference.

BebeRoo
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM

That is such a great idea! I would not hesitate to buy it with a reasonable price tag.

teo
10-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I think it's also important to define what you mean by "urban use," if you're marketing a stroller that way. I keep calling what we need "urban use" in that we live in a city, but then I find a lot of people think of urban use as in and out of a car, largely inside, etc. as opposed to being outside and all-terrain, or as opposed to being a very lightweight travel stroller---not at all what I mean when I say the same thing. For our city family, "urban use" = ability to take the stroller on buses and trains easily (must be narrow enough to not ram other people with it!), get it up and down steps to apartments/transit stations/etc. (lightweight and liftable, or easily foldable with baby in other arm), navigate rough urban sidewalks and curbs (decent suspension and wheels, but not necessarily amazing)...basically, the stroller is a mode of transportation so it needs to carry baby and also anything you'd be taking along or bringing home, since you can't just throw something in the car and grab it if you need it.

To that end, while I love the idea of air tires, I've had a really hard time finding a stroller with air tires that can also manage all these other things---seems like most of the air tire strollers are intended to be all-terrain, and are just to heavy/bulky to work if you regularly need to fold it on the fly or pick it up to carry it along with a baby. (I will say that the Indie is one of the few that we are looking seriously at because it does manage to be lightweight with air tires, though!) Tires (and overall ride) become secondary to fold, weight, etc.

Similarly, though we're still pre-baby and thus can't really weigh in on the three vs. four wheels, I've been told by several friends in the neighborhood that four is often preferable for bumping a stroller up and down stairs as smoothly as possible, as we'll often need to do. Not sure if this is true or not, but just their experience in the urban setting---though it's worth noting that the Baby Jogger City Mini stroller is apparently the top seller at our neighborhood baby store (and seems to be ubiquitous in our city, second only to the Maclaren umbrellas in my obsessive stroller-watching) and that's a three-wheel design for all practical purposes, so clearly that works for many urban dwellers, at least around here!

roseyloxs
10-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I think it's also important to define what you mean by "urban use,"

I think defining urban use as in and out of the car would be wrong. Urban use is city use. Suburban use is in and out of a car. IMHO.

crl
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I think defining urban use as in and out of the car would be wrong. Urban use is city use. Suburban use is in and out of a car. IMHO.

I agree.
Catherine

MamaBear
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM

spannaz
10-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I think it's also important to define what you mean by "urban use," if you're marketing a stroller that way. I keep calling what we need "urban use" in that we live in a city, but then I find a lot of people think of urban use as in and out of a car, largely inside, etc. as opposed to being outside and all-terrain, or as opposed to being a very lightweight travel stroller---not at all what I mean when I say the same thing. For our city family, "urban use" = ability to take the stroller on buses and trains easily (must be narrow enough to not ram other people with it!), get it up and down steps to apartments/transit stations/etc. (lightweight and liftable, or easily foldable with baby in other arm), navigate rough urban sidewalks and curbs (decent suspension and wheels, but not necessarily amazing)...basically, the stroller is a mode of transportation so it needs to carry baby and also anything you'd be taking along or bringing home, since you can't just throw something in the car and grab it if you need it.

To that end, while I love the idea of air tires, I've had a really hard time finding a stroller with air tires that can also manage all these other things---seems like most of the air tire strollers are intended to be all-terrain, and are just to heavy/bulky to work if you regularly need to fold it on the fly or pick it up to carry it along with a baby. (I will say that the Indie is one of the few that we are looking seriously at because it does manage to be lightweight with air tires, though!) Tires (and overall ride) become secondary to fold, weight, etc.

Similarly, though we're still pre-baby and thus can't really weigh in on the three vs. four wheels, I've been told by several friends in the neighborhood that four is often preferable for bumping a stroller up and down stairs as smoothly as possible, as we'll often need to do. Not sure if this is true or not, but just their experience in the urban setting---though it's worth noting that the Baby Jogger City Mini stroller is apparently the top seller at our neighborhood baby store (and seems to be ubiquitous in our city, second only to the Maclaren umbrellas in my obsessive stroller-watching) and that's a three-wheel design for all practical purposes, so clearly that works for many urban dwellers, at least around here!

Sounds like the City Mini GT is just the right stroller for you :D.

And I agree with PP's, urban use should be defined as city use, whereas suburban is in/out of the car. At least that's always how I thought of it :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk