PDA

View Full Version : twin stroller or sit and stand?

cat5902
10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Mommas!

I am expecting baby #2 in May ( a long way off) and I'm starting my research now. DS will be 2 1/2 when baby is born and I'm not sure the best way to go. I was thinking I'd need a twin stroller, but I'm thinking that DS will be ready to walk more than he does now. I need some recommendations - should I go with a twin (which is what I think I will need) or something more like a sit and stand? Which twins work well for both infants and toddlers and can take a SnugRide 32? I am looking for an easy push, lightweight (back issues) so lifting the stroller in and out of the back of the car is important. Hubby is tall so adjustable handle would be great. I own two stollers now and unlike the stoller elite here (I'm jealous! :wink2:) can't really afford to buy and try. I have a graco - travel system stroller and the jeep all terrain. Both were gifts so I didn't really get to pick. TIA!

tribe pride
10-12-2011, 02:15 PM
What will you be using the stroller for? Mostly indoors, or also outdoors? Smooth surfaces, or also for trails, bumpy sidewalks, bricks, etc?

If you don't need an AT stroller, maybe a BJCMD? It's lightweight and a great car double. I think the new ones coming out next year will have adjustable handles. You could also try the B-Ready, which is currently on sale.

If you need an AT stroller with air tires, the BJCMD GT (also coming out next year) may be a good option for you. Or a P&T. I have back problems as well, and we got a P&T Explorer last year, because it was the only AT stroller I could lift into the car without hurting my back. I love the P&T, it pushes well and is very versatile, and my kids love the setup. Ours has had quality issues, though (the tires keep pulling out of the wheel frame and bending the frame). I think we're in the minority with this, as I haven't heard anyone else on here mention it. Except for that issue, I love the P&T, and it might be worth checking out.

Or you could use a single with HH. That's our current set-up (we have a Valco Quad), and I really like it. I'd definitely go this route before getting a sit and stand- those just seem really difficult to maneuver and push. The people I know IRL with sit and stands don't like them very much. The Valco with HH doesn't work as well for long walks, but for day-to-day stuff, it's been great. If you want a stroller for long walks, I'd get a regular double.

cat5902
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks - good information. I use the AT for walks around the neighborhood because of uneven sidewalks and air tires make it easier. And I use the regular stroller for everything else. We mostly do the suburban drive and unload routine.

legaleagle
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with tribe pride - either a P&T or BJCMD GT sounds like they would be perfect for you. My older DS (turned 3 in August) is just now walking frequently without it being an incredible nuisance. At 2.5 he definitely still needed to be contained most of the time, and the few places he didn't, when I'd try to bring a single, he'd kick the baby out so I'd have to carry DS2 while DS1 rode. That did make me really appreciate a good 1 handed push though!

BabyBearsMom
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I am due with #2 a month before you and my DD will be two when he or she is born. I also live in the suburbs and have a bad back. I would not be comfortable with my DD in a sit and stand because I don't think she will be responsible to stay on. Also, I feel like when you have two kids you need to be able to strap them both down sometimes (sounds terrible, I know, but a contained child is a necessity). Also, when your older child sees the new baby in the stroller, he will want to be in the stroller too probably IMHO.

I think I am going to get a Mountain Buggy Duet. I like that it is relatively light weight (34lbs) and super narrow (25 inches wide) so it is a side by side but the width of a lot of singles. It has 10" air tires so you can use it outside for walks and take it to the park etc., but they aren't so huge that you can't use it as a mall stroller. My one concern is that a lot of reviews say the seats are kind of small and my DD is a giant. So I worry it won't last long.

The other options I am considering are: Bumbleride Indie Twin (also a sbs double with air tires) but that is 29 inches wide so not as nimble as the duet. On the other hand, it is very pretty! Phil & Teds Verve or Vibe 2. I am attracted to the idea of the tandem because in my head I wonder how long DD will use the stroller so I'd like something that would be good for her when she gets tired but is like a single the rest of the time. But my DH hates the P&Ts, and doesn't like what he calls the "second class citizen seat" down below. We also considered the Baby Jogger City Select which DH loves and I think is a bear to push and the Britax B-Ready which I think is very cumbersome folded and surprisingly heavy. You might want to see if you can check any of those out in person and see what you like.

ETA - Something else to consider is the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. THey are coming out with the GT which will have air tires and it is a little more reasonably priced than what I mentioned above. I love the Baby Jogger fold and the high handle bars and the 2012s are supposed to be adjustable. It is 29 inches wide, and we have the BJCM single and DD doesn't love how reclined the seat is. But if the GT comes out before DC2 is born, it will definitely be a contender.

hoodlims
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
GT sounds great, just like these ladies are suggesting. It also depends on whether or not your first kid is a big stroller sitter. If not, then I would suggest a tandem in-line like the PT. I would've purchased a SBS, but my daughter (who will be 22 mo) when baby comes already fights sitting in the stroller, so there is no point in a SBS. You may want to see what your kid is like closer to your due date. Congrats on your pregnancy!

abh5e8
10-13-2011, 12:30 AM
my 1st 2 are 21 months apart and then #3 is 23 months behind number two...and we love the P&T. the big kids like the back seat because they can get in/out on their own....and I like it for the baby because when he is asleep he is a bit more secluded. no second class issues around here at all :)

and, when #s1 and 2 want to walk, that second bottom seat makes for one awesome basket. :)

cat5902
10-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks! This is a good start. I'm going to make a list and try them out in the store to see what will be a good fit. I appreciate the help. I'm usually too busy reading all of the great info here to post, but this time I'm glad I did. :applause: