PDA

View Full Version : How old does DC1 need to be for you to not need a double?

MamaSnoo
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
So, in your opinion/experience....how old does DC1 need to be in order to not need to get a double for DC2?

DD will be 4 yr and a couple months with DC2 arrives. We have a 2008 BJCM and a really cheap umbrella that only grandma likes. I have been happy enough with what we have. We never take the stroller with us anywhere anymore (have not since she turned 3). She was never hugely interested in it. Occasionally, she asks me to give her a ride around the neighborhood in it, which I can still do, but she is almost too tall.

Our use for the stroller with DC2 will be similar, around shopping a little, occasional walks in the neighborhood, zoo trips. Not a lot of huge outings.

I feel like I should not need a double....maybe I can get by with what we have to start off, and see if there is anything that we need as we go forward? I find all the double stuff overwhelming, and picked the BJCM because it was under my absolute weight cut off (which is laughable with a double). Does that seem reasonable?

crl
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I think you should definitely try without and see. You can always baby wear for a couple of months with your older child in the stroller if necessary too. My age spread is bigger (DS was six when dd was born) so I never even considered a double.

Catherine

hillview
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
DS1 was 2 when we had DS2 and we needed one for almost a year. We use 2 singles when we go to disney etc.
/hillary

roseyloxs
10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I think you should be fine without a double. As a PP said I would just store a baby carrier in the basket in case your older child wants a ride.

lele
10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
A single with a rider board might be a good option for you. I have an almost 1 year old & a 4 year old & use the single/board combo WAY more than my double (P&T with second seat).

alirebco
10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
DS was 3 years and 3 months old when DD was born and we don't have a double. He rarely rides in a stroller but on the rare times he did, I babywear DD. I mostly wear her anyway unless we're going to be out for a while because I like being hands free.

mom3boys
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
My DS2 is 3 years, 1 month older than DS3 and I have barely used a double. (Currently DS2 is 3 years, 4 months and DS3 is 3 months) And each time I used one I COULD have just worn the baby in a carrier without much difficulty. More often then not the 2nd seat was a "storage area" for my boys' stuff!

I think if I brought a double DS2 would sit in it, but he doesn't need it and I figure I might as well have him walk and get the exercise, and he is old enough to know not to run into the street. we even took a trip to Six Flags, I brought a single stroller with my carrier in the basket so DS could ride if necessary but he didn't end up using the stroller at all.

I keep thinking of getting a hitch-hiker board but haven't really even needed that. DS2 walks about 1/2 mile from preschool to home without incident. So for a 4 year old I think you could easily do without a double.

MamaBear
10-12-2011, 11:40 PM
My kids are three years and five weeks apart. I got a Mutsy with a Duoseat rather than a 'true' double, and even that ididnt use very much. #1 was usually happiest to ride on a board on any of my strollers.

Whenever I get a new stroller, though, #1 can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Simon
10-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Ds1 and Ds2 are nearly 4 years apart and we didn't need a double for errands or the like. Ds1 could walk most places.

That said, we bought a double jogging/AT stroller off CL for about $50 before Ds2 was born. We are NOT big stroller people, but I am very glad I did buy one and we used it quite a lot. More than I expected. We may have only taken it in the car once or twice, but used it a ton around home.

Here were my reasons for buying a double, some of which may not apply to you:
1. I didn't want Ds1 to feel he had been replaced by Ds2. Though Ds1 rarely rode in a stroller before Ds2, getting a double to have a seat for him seemed an easy thing to do.
2. Ds1 tires easily, he isn't very strong, so I wanted a dbl. for weekend events and times when Dh and I might not feel like wearing/carrying Ds2.
3. We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood so I feel more comfortable having Ds1 ride.

I am sure I had some other good arguments at the time since I needed to convince Dh, but it was fifty bucks well spent.

MamaSnoo
10-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks everybody- you have really confirmed my intuition about not needing a double for day to day stuff.......it makes total sense, as we are not using a single now. I can also get something with a rider board later if needed.

I love the idea of a used double jogger for neighborhood walks (we do not have sidewalks either). I'll start keeping my eyes peeled for that on CL. Baby is not due till May, so I have a long time to find something.

I was stressed about the double thing for some silly reason.........now I can put it out of my mind! Thanks!

mecawa
10-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Depends on the child, I think. At four I would definitely try to go without the double. When I had DD2, DD1 was 5 and we didn't use one. With DD1 I wouldn't have needed one at all from like 3 1/2 on.

mom3boys
10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to second that the idea of an AT Double for occasional use is a good one. I have lots of strollers but the only double I have is Bob Revolution Duallie. I got it for a great price used on CL. I have used it only occasionally as I mentioned, but has been useful for things like hikes which we try to do on weekends, and on occasions when I have had all 3 DS by myself, since I have the option for 2 riders (i.e., no one begs to ride on my shoulders!)