PDA

View Full Version : First time mom to be in need of stroller advice please

Pilotbaby
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been reading through these threads and am so grateful to have found a site with so many knowledgeable people. I could really use some help picking a stroller. I am a first time mom to be looking for a stroller that is safe and easy to use. I don't live in the city so will mostly be using the stroller for errands and traveling and the occasional walk around the neighborhood. Most important to me is a safe stroller that has the baby in a good position. Ease of folding is also important as I will be traveling quite a bit the first year while my husband is overseas. Some storage, at least for a diaper bag is also important to me again, due to the travel. I just purchased the Chicco Key Fit Car Seat so a stroller that fits with that would be great, although I know not to overuse it!
Thank you in advance for any suggestions and opinions you have.

tribe pride
10-12-2011, 09:17 PM
What is your budget? And by traveling, do you mean in the car, or on airplanes, or on public transit, or something else?

candaceb
10-12-2011, 10:44 PM
When are you due? There are a bunch of new strollers coming out but they might not be available by the time you need a stroller.

Pilotbaby
10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
We will do some of our traveling by car and some by plane. We actually have to drive across the county about a month after the baby is born and then somewhere during the first year will have at least one long flight of about 10 hours. For day to day use, we live in an area where we have to drive everywhere. The only outside walking will be walks around the neighborhood and if need be, I will get a different stroller for that. As far as budget, since we are new parents to be and buying everything, would love not to spend a fortune, however if the stroller that makes the most sense, is expensive, we will spend what we have to in order to get the right one. Due in March so we have some time but are trying to get a head start with the holidays coming and a cross country move coming shortly after baby is born. Thank you!

legaleagle
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Not that I've seen either of these in person yet since they aren't actually released, but I think the uppa cruz or baby jogger versa would be perfect for you (both are ~$450 I believe). Or if you really want to splurg, the bugaboo bee.

There are lots of great newborn-friendly umbrellas out there too but a reversible is so nice to have at the beginning and they have way more storage room.

Kaylee31
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I would look at the UppaBaby Cruz (coming out in Nov.), or the new Baby Joggers coming out in Feb./March-- the Versa, which is reversible or the City Mini GT, which has forever air tires. The Cruz & Versa seem to have pretty compact folds, both are reversible which is a great feature for the first year. They seem to have big baskets and I think both will have an optional Chicco adapter.
http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-829/uppababy-cruz-baby-stroller/Detail
http://stroller411.com/blog/391/baby-jogger-city-mini-gt-stroller-2012/

psimpson3-5
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also a FTM, due 4/2 and trying to decide which stroller is best. Per the book, I've been focusing on the Baby Jogger City Mini.

Pilotbaby- I might suggest getting the Baby Bargains book if you haven't already. It's been super helpful. The chaper on strollers is very detailed.

Kaylee- do you think that the City Mini GT is worth the extra $150? Is it that much different from the standard City Mini?

psimpson3-5
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Kaylee- forget i said anything. there's a comparison chart at the bottom of the peppyparents page. Thank you!

Pilotbaby
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I would look at the UppaBaby Cruz (coming out in Nov.), or the new Baby Joggers coming out in Feb./March-- the Versa, which is reversible or the City Mini GT, which has forever air tires. The Cruz & Versa seem to have pretty compact folds, both are reversible which is a great feature for the first year. They seem to have big baskets and I think both will have an optional Chicco adapter.

Thank you for the suggestions and links. Both of those look great. The only thing they don't seem to have is any type of safety bar or snack tray (which I understand can be used as a safety bar). Not sure how important this is but the strollers look great otherwise!

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestions and links. Both of those look great. The only thing they don't seem to have is any type of safety bar or snack tray (which I understand can be used as a safety bar). Not sure how important this is but the strollers look great otherwise!

I don't think the belly bar or snack tray are really safety features. The 5 point harness is a more important safety feature. As long as your baby is tightly strapped in they would not fall out of a stroller. I guess it could protect something big from falling on the baby, but if the seat is rear facing thats very unlikely. Most of the higher end strollers don't include a snack tray as standard (its an add on) but a lot of the lower end ones do.

In my opinion the snack tray is a convenience feature I don't need. We use snack trap cups for the few times we need to have a snack in the stroller. I think I'd be grossed out putting food right on the tray anyway, and we don't leave unlimited snacks sitting around while strolling. We rarely use the belly bar on our Vista, but I understand some older kids like to hold on/pull up on it.

ETA: I agree with both the suggestions above. The UppaBaby Vista is also a popular stroller for newborns/infants if you are looking for fuller features. But the Versa seems to be a good option for a lighter car/travel stroller.

legaleagle
10-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, we never use snack trays and only rarely use the belly bar. My kids like the bar ok but I hate dealing with opening them or lifting the kids over them (though I have huge kids which is part of it). There are lots of available parent trays/cupholders out there too, both brand specific and universal.

roseyloxs
10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I have to agree I think the versa looks like an excellent option for you. I think the wheels will be good enough occasional trip to the zoo or neighborhood park. The quick and slim fold will make it travel friendly for your car and airplane use. Baby Jogger usually offers a chicco adapter so you can add that if you think its necessary. I am sure their will be an optional belly bar available too, there usually is with baby jogger.

Its also reversible which I think is the best feature a stroller can offer. I can't believe I waited so long to get one. I have a bugaboo bee+ and its served me very well. Took me a while to get over the price tag but it really is worth every penny.

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Its also reversible which I think is the best feature a stroller can offer. I can't believe I waited so long to get one. I have a bugaboo bee+ and its served me very well. Took me a while to get over the price tag but it really is worth every penny.

Yes, I LOVE the reversible feature too. I still use it sometimes with my 2.25 YO. Its fun to talk to them and be able to hand them a drink, and I think it keeps boring trips more interesting. He can still look around and see things, just from the back instead of the front. And if it helps justify the price, there is some research that facing your infant while speaking with them helps develop verbal skills. :-)

tribe pride
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
If you want only one stroller, I vote for a MB Swift or Bumbleride Indie. They're both AT, have an excellent push, and reasonably lightweight and compact for a car. I have a Valco Quad, and it is a great all-around stroller, with air-filled rear tires, so that might also be one to consider.

If you'd rather have 2 strollers- a true "car" stroller and a more serious walking/jogging stroller, I agree with the other posters. Either a Uppa Cruz, BJ Versa, or also one of the new Valcos coming out would all be good choices. (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/09/valco-baby-is-going-to-have-a-big-year-in-2012/ ) I've had both a BJ and a Valco, and I personally think the Valco quality is a lot better, and I think the new ones coming out look great.

For an outdoors-only walking stroller, I'd get either a BOB or MB (Terrain or Urban Jungle). You might be able to find one of these used on CL for not too much (particularly an older MB, they seem to generally sell for less $$ than BOBs).

legaleagle
10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh, yes, forgot about the new valcos! Those would be a great choice as well and valcos tend to come with lots of accessories, unlike BJ.

Pilotbaby
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't think the belly bar or snack tray are really safety features. The 5 point harness is a more important safety feature. As long as your baby is tightly strapped in they would not fall out of a stroller. I guess it could protect something big from falling on the baby, but if the seat is rear facing thats very unlikely. Most of the higher end strollers don't include a snack tray as standard (its an add on) but a lot of the lower end ones do.

In my opinion the snack tray is a convenience feature I don't need. We use snack trap cups for the few times we need to have a snack in the stroller. I think I'd be grossed out putting food right on the tray anyway, and we don't leave unlimited snacks sitting around while strolling. We rarely use the belly bar on our Vista, but I understand some older kids like to hold on/pull up on it.

ETA: I agree with both the suggestions above. The UppaBaby Vista is also a popular stroller for newborns/infants if you are looking for fuller features. But the Versa seems to be a good option for a lighter car/travel stroller.

Thank you. I feel completely clueless- I don't know what snack trap cups are but I will look them up.

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you. I feel completely clueless- I don't know what snack trap cups are but I will look them up.

Just a no-spill cup that you can put toddler snacks in. Don't worry, you won't need it for a while, newborns don't need them. http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Snack-Catchers-Colors-Vary/dp/B000GB0NZK

Kaylee31
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM

I don't think either a bar or tray is necessary, but they are nice to have. When my DS was between 9-18 months, he liked to use the belly bars to help pull himself in a more upright sitting position. I also like to tether sippy & snack cups to the bar. The only tray we've ever had on a stroller was the City Mini, and it was probably only used a couple of times. I know the Cruz will have an optional snack tray (the tray will be released in the spring) and I'm assuming the Baby Jogger Versa & City Mini GT will have belly bar & trays available, since all the other strollers in their City series do.

Kaylee31
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to agree I think the versa looks like an excellent option for you. The AT tires will make it outdoor friendly for the occasional trip to the zoo or neighborhood park. The quick and slim fold will make it travel friendly for your car and airplane use.

Are the tires AT? This is the only thing I think could be better about the Versa: the first ABC show blog I read said it would have forever air tires (which would have been ideal). But they look similar to the BJCM wheels and SQ said they were EVA in her rollout. They do have suspension though, and should be great for smooth surfaces.

legaleagle
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM
My hesitation on recommending the versa as a travel stroller is it's 24lbs, which to me is kind of heavy. But the fold may make up for it!

roseyloxs
10-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Are the tires AT? This is the only thing I think could be better about the Versa: the first ABC show blog I read said it would have forever air tires (which would have been ideal). But they look similar to the BJCM wheels and SQ said they were EVA in her rollout. They do have suspension though, and should be great for smooth surfaces.

Nope. I apparently just made that up. Watched the baby gizmo video (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/09/new-from-baby-jogger-for-2012-video/) again and she says they are hard rubber tires. Looks to be between 8 and 10".

Pilotbaby
10-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Thank you everyone. Looking at these again. My concern with the Versa is also the weight since someone recently posted on here that at least one airline and maybe more to follow is restricting stroller weight to under 20 pounds (to check at gate). I really like the other features though. One of the new one looks great as it is reversible and has a bassinet which I love, but not available until June.

roseyloxs
10-15-2011, 02:08 AM
I am sure you could use it as a snap and go to the gate and pack the main seat in your luggage. I am going to guess the seat weighs more then 4 lbs which would mean the frame would be under 20 lbs. Just a thought.

poohbear
10-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Bee +!
They are coming out with a chicco adapter this month.
Push rivals that of my BOB. Easy fold, light weight, parent facing option.

I didn't have mine with DS until he was 1 1/2 (and he is one of the most verbal children out there (as opposed to my cousin's baby who was parent facing the first year and a half and required early speech intervention at age 2)) so don't worry so much about verbal skills developing differently if a baby can face you or not (unless the only time you spend talking to your child is when he/she is in the stroller). I just think it's nice to be able to have the feature for when they're little.