PDA

View Full Version : S/O...Will your family eat...

MamaKath
10-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Casseroles??? I read the frozen dinner thread and was inspired. I tried the "Chicken Spaghetti (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chicken_spaghet/)" from Pioneer Woman. It is delicious...IMO. Dc1 wouldn't even try it. Dc2 ate about 4 bites before declaring "Here Mom, you can have the rest." DH is still at work so I will need to wait hours to hear his declarations (most likely) of dislike.

I guess things like ziti and lasagna are casseroles. They'd eat the ziti.

So do your kids like them? How about your SO? What are your successes?

infomama
10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I had to tweak that recipe a lot before my family took to it.
I use colby jack cheese, rotisserie chicken, exclude the pimentos, use a "fun" pasta like wagon wheels or elbows and replace one of the green peppers with a red pepper. They gobble it up now.

Trigglet
10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Mine will, but only because casserole means something totally different for us Europeans! For us, casserole means a stew-type thing. This in turn means I have an irrational aversion to the baked type of dish that you guys call a casserole (and also, for whatever reason, I wouldn't categorise lasagne as a casserole). I'm sure I would like it, but perhaps I'd have to call it something else!!

So, I look forward to seeing recipes/suggestions :D

DietCokeLover
10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
My kids will not. DH will.

I love casseroles!

buddyleebaby
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
DD1 will not eat anything that contains condensed soup.

This eliminates a lot of seemingly popular casserole recipes.

ThreeofUs
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
DS1 will eat very little that I make. DH and DS2 (if he's not sick, which is always lately) will eat just about anything.

ellies mom
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
If my husband and I like it, I make it. The girls act like just about everything is poison (except broccoli and brussel sprouts) so there is no pleasing them anyways. What I usually do is divide it into 2 8x8 pans and serve one that night and freeze the other for a week or two later. We (the husband and I) really like PW Sour Cream Noodle Bake. It freezes well.

Jo..
10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Most of my family (3/4) will eat or try anything.

My son is picky. He will eat sandwiches (meat and cheese, grilled cheese, pb & J), tomato soup, burgers, chicken, spaghetti and meatballs. carrots, fruit,...not much else.

The other night I made a bean and kale soup and we told him he had to eat three bites before deciding whether or not he liked it, and then we would make him PB&J. He ate the three bites, gagging. And 10 minutes later threw up all over the floor..

He is for sure not a casserole kid.

wencit
10-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Most of my family (3/4) will eat or try anything. Same here. DH, DS1, and I all LOVE casseroles! They are a staple for dinner around here. Easy, one-dish meals -- can't beat that. DS2, on the other hand, seemingly lives on air....and a little fruit, maybe dairy. That's pretty much it. He's usually the one eating yogurt for dinner while the rest of the family eats casserole.

vludmilla
10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
DD will eat a cheeseburger pie like she has been starved for three days. She will eat a quiche on occasion, if you can call that a casserole. She occasionally eats ziti or lasagna.

sarahsthreads
10-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Hah! My children won't eat casseroles, chilis, stews, soups, really anything with the ingredients all mixed together. Then again, they don't really eat anything anymore at dinnertime, so I just make whatever DH and I will eat and listen to the children whine about how much they don't like the food that they haven't even tasted!

Some nights I'm tempted to put out a bowl of grapes and a bowl of goldfish and say "here's dinner". They'd probably complain about that too.

Sarah :)

brittone2
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Yep, they will. Their preferences and favorite meals are always changing. I cook what I think will work, and they eat or don't eat. Most of the time they like casseroles. Sometimes they dislike something they previously liked (more of an issue w/ my 4 yo). Overall though, yes they'll eat things mixed together in casserole fashion.

fivi2
10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Hah! My children won't eat casseroles, chilis, stews, soups, really anything with the ingredients all mixed together.

Some nights I'm tempted to put out a bowl of grapes and a bowl of goldfish and say "here's dinner". They'd probably complain about that too.

This is my kids also!

Kymberley
10-12-2011, 09:01 PM
This is my kids also!

DS is getting this way too. Ugh. DH doesn't really care for casseroles, but I make them anyway. He'll eat whatever is in front of him and not complain, but I know the difference.

DrSally
10-12-2011, 09:17 PM
My kids will not. DH will.

I love casseroles!

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Maybe. Ds1 is just starting to eat casseroles but ds2 is usually game. Thing is, neither really likes dinner all that much.

Beth

kboyle
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
my family will eat whatever i make, they have no choice.

it's that or starve...or pb&j (which only ds3 eats), but i have an extremely hungry family...other than something that looks completely horrible they will eat anything.

g-mama
10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Hah! My children won't eat casseroles, chilis, stews, soups, really anything with the ingredients all mixed together. Then again, they don't really eat anything anymore at dinnertime, so I just make whatever DH and I will eat and listen to the children whine about how much they don't like the food that they haven't even tasted!

You've just described my younger two children to a tee!! I sit down at the table and wait for the complaining to commence.

gatorsmom
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I never know what to expect from any family members except Sisi and Greenbean. Sisi always refuses to eat everything and Greenbean always tries a little of everything. Even DH likes somethings and then doesn't like them the next time I make them. :shrug:

I make lots of one-pot meals. Rarely do I use any condensed soups.

khalloc
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I won't eat casseroles. This may not be correct buut they strike me as unhealthy. In general I don't like my food all mixed together with a sauce or cheeses.

MamaSnoo
10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
DD will only eat her meat plain-- a piece of hamburger, cut up chicken, cut up steak. Casseroles are a no go. Both DH and I like them from time to time.

DD also does not eat rice or pasta (bizzare, I know), so that makes casseroles harder.

I am going to look at that chicken spaghetti recipe!

Twoboos
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
DD will only eat her meat plain-- a piece of hamburger, cut up chicken, cut up steak. Casseroles are a no go. <snip>

DD also does not eat rice or pasta (bizzare, I know), so that makes casseroles harder.

OMG, I thought my DD1 was the only kid who didn't like rice or pasta!! (Well, any rice except Near East Rice Pilaf.) Being half Italian, it makes me crazy that she won't eat pasta. It's wrong. ;)

boolady
10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Interesting thread...I just made a "casserole" (I guess) for the first time in a while last night. I did not use any condensed soup and kind of winged it and made a shepherd's pie.

I think it was pretty healthy...I used very lean ground beef, mushrooms, chopped onion and carrot, minced garlic, low sodium beef broth, a splash of wine, a dash of worcestershire sauce, and thickened with some flour. Topped it with homemade mashed potatoes, and in an attempt to get DD to eat a bit, some cheddar cheese. I didn't put other vegetables into it because of the reason pp mentioned-- DD gets wigged out if there are too many "mixed things" in her food. We had two vegs on the side instead. It didn't matter. She ate a few bites of meat and that was it, but DH and I liked it.

Moneypenny
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
DH and DD both love casseroles, which makes me happy because they are easy to throw together. I generally go heavy on the veggies and light on the sauce (I also make my own sauce rather than using condensed soup). When DD was littler she was wary of everything being mixed together, but since she loved soup I told her a casserole was just like soup except with less broth. She's been happily eating them ever since.

vonfirmath
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
DD1 will not eat anything that contains condensed soup.

This eliminates a lot of seemingly popular casserole recipes.

I have thought to replace the cream-of-something soups in my casseroles with homemade white sauce.

Would that work for her?

I am SO thankful my husband and kids will eat casseroles and leftovers. It makes a huge difference in the amount of cooking we need to do, as well as our budget!

bcafe
10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
They sure do! I never use condensed soup though, I prefer to make my own "sauce", either using a bechamel base or a gravy base. They love my homemade chicken pot pie. Casseroles or hot dish can be extremely healthy. :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I always make my own white sauce instead of condensed soups. I'm not down with the ingredients in some and the healthier ones just don't taste that good.

Beth

hillview
10-13-2011, 10:04 AM
i always make my own white sauce instead of condensed soups. I'm not down with the ingredients in some and the healthier ones just don't taste that good.

Beth

recipe??

Twoboos
10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
recipe??

:yeahthat:, please! I cannot bring myself to use condensed soup. I don't know why.

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/white-sauce/f610bfaf-e83b-4243-997b-ec16b8f5e155

Sometimes I add a mix of chicken broth (or stock) with the milk.

Beth

crayonblue
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
DD1 will not. DD3 will because she will eat most anything. DH and I like casseroles. I grew up on casseroles, mostly Mexican type casseroles. DH's b'day is Sunday and I just made a casserole for him...one that I only make once per year because the calorie count is sky high and the nutritional value is nada. It's a concoction of Doritos, chicken, cheese, cream soups, etc.

alien_host
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM

This is DD, she does not like stuff all mixed together either!

ETA: I like casseroles, DH is OK with them.

MamaKath
10-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Okay, I feel much more in the norm now! :)

DH wouldn't touch said casserole. But you ladies opened my eyes. He will touch my homemade stews and soups which are often thick enough to be a casserole. Kids eat some of those too.

Tonight I tried a different type of "casserole"- basically baked french toast (which I make occasionally) but added more milk and eggs and chopped up the bread so it had a more messy "casserole" look to it. They loved it. It was actually like bread pudding in many ways. I figured maybe if we could get past the look, it might help for next time.

FWIW- they would only eat the goldfish at the goldfish and grapes feast. ;)

Now I need to look for other recipes that don't use condensed soups!!!