PDA

View Full Version : How long before your newborn became stroller comfy?

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 01:10 AM
So I finally have my fleet complete (Vista, 4Seasons, Summit XC Double) and the new baby is here so I have 2 riders. Problem is DD is 3 weeks and cries in the stroller after a couple minutes.... or at all in the Summit, even with a snuzzler. She's ok in the Vista bassinet for a little while but the crying seems to start when I get halfway out and continues until we get home. I'm not using the infant seat at all outside of the car, she hates that most of the time anyway. So every walk it seems like I end up coming home carrying or wearing her and pushing an empty single or half empty double.

IIRC DS was like this too, he wanted to be held all the time at first and cried in the stroller. Now he's totally a stroller kid and loves to ride. But I can't remember when that changed... was it in the first couple months or do I need to wait a lot longer before I can really enjoy long stroller walks with both kids without the embarrassment of a screaming baby?

MommyAllison
10-13-2011, 01:26 AM
DD1 was a winter baby, so though she napped in the stroller inside sometimes (P3 w/snuzzler), we didn't do much walking w/the stroller til she was older. DS was a spring baby, and his first stroller walk was when he was 1 day old, in the MBUD. He really liked it and slept well in there - I think the slight swaying motion of the seat (it swayed nicely in the fully reclined position) lulled him to sleep. He didn't like the P3 nearly as well. I'd keep trying, but bring a carrier too. ;)

rin
10-13-2011, 01:58 AM
We didn't get a stroller until DD was probably 4 or 5 months old, and she kind of hated it until she was about 6 months or so, no matter how reclined/unreclined the seat was, no matter if we used head cushion/no head cushion, sunshade/no sunshade, parent-facing/forward-facing, etc. After about a month she warmed up to it, and now she *loves* her stroller and I constantly catch her climbing into it and begging to go for a ride.

However, I don't know if she would've gotten used to it after a month or so regardless of how old she was when we introduced it, or if she would've just had to wait until she was about 6 months or so before she came around.

citymama
10-13-2011, 03:14 AM
They both hated the stroller until they could sit upright. Really hated. But especially in the 0-2 months phase.

berlinsoul
10-13-2011, 06:58 AM
They both hated the stroller until they could sit upright. Really hated.

:yeahthat:
if he was awake!

but he really slept well in the bassinet. so if he was tired it was ok, he fell asleep pretty fast....

MamaBear
10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
At 3 weeks, you're starting to get into the crying phase. The stroller might just be a coincidence.

hoodlims
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Don't think my DD sat in a stroller until she was something like 7 months old! I wore her EVERYWHERE. She is now 20 months and would rather walk than sit in the stroller. We had a very short stroller window (maybe 7 months total?).

pastrygirl
10-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Mine hated it until around a year old...

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I think part of is just the crying phase. Both of my kids have been summer babies (summer goes to Nov here on most days) and we walk a lot so they've been out in strollers within the first few days home. Today we took an hour and a half walk to lunch, around the beach, and back home with two stops to bf. She mostly didn't cry in the Vista bassinet, so maybe we are ok. Definitely doesn't like the Summit, I think its the straps, she just looks really tiny in there. DS does try to talk to her to cheer her up, which is super cute.

Multimama
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I think my DS was about 2 (that's years old) before he truly liked the stroller. Even then, he won't tolerate them unless he's tired or sick.

BayGirl2
10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I think my DS was about 2 (that's years old) before he truly liked the stroller. Even then, he won't tolerate them unless he's tired or sick.

Oh, I really hope this one is a stroller kid too. Otherwise I'll have to cut myself off from all this stroller stalking. That or have #3 soon.:)

DadWannaBe
10-13-2011, 09:39 PM
We have the BJCSD and the car seat adapter. Our Maxi Cosi Mico's just snap into the BJCSD. I put the twins in their car seats and snapped them into the BJCSD when they were 3 weeks old and have taken them out 3 times. They love it (actually, they fall asleep comfortably in it). No problems.

When they can start keeping their heads up by themselves, we'll try to switch to the BJCSD seats, but if they don't like them, we can keep them in the car seats until they outgrow the carseats...then they'll have to switch!

eno0609
10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
They both hated the stroller until they could sit upright. Really hated. But especially in the 0-2 months phase.

We always made sure to have the beco carrier or wrap in the stroller, they definitely preferred it and we loved carrying them too.

BayGirl2
10-14-2011, 03:35 PM
We have the BJCSD and the car seat adapter. Our Maxi Cosi Mico's just snap into the BJCSD. I put the twins in their car seats and snapped them into the BJCSD when they were 3 weeks old and have taken them out 3 times. They love it (actually, they fall asleep comfortably in it). No problems.

When they can start keeping their heads up by themselves, we'll try to switch to the BJCSD seats, but if they don't like them, we can keep them in the car seats until they outgrow the carseats...then they'll have to switch!

Does the BJCS not have a flat recline or bassinet? I prefer not to use the carseat for anything more than a few minutes outside the car, actually haven't taken it out of the base at all with DD. Its not great for babies to spend a lot of time in them. Neither of mine have loved the infant seat anyway, we have a lot of crying in the car.

We always made sure to have the beco carrier or wrap in the stroller, they definitely preferred it and we loved carrying them too.
Yes, I always have a carrier in the stroller now. We babywear a lot, but there are times when I just don't want her on me. It does seem like a good insurance policy, whenever I bring the carrier she is ok, its the times I forget it that I really need it.

BabyBearsMom
10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Are you using a snuzzler? I put DD in the stroller pretty much as soon as we were cleared to leave the house. I used a snuzzler in the stroller so she didn't seem like she was rolling around and it worked great. I always kept my Ergo with infant insert in the basket of the stroller, so if DD got fussy, I stuck her in the carrier and wore her.

BayGirl2
10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Are you using a snuzzler? I put DD in the stroller pretty much as soon as we were cleared to leave the house. I used a snuzzler in the stroller so she didn't seem like she was rolling around and it worked great. I always kept my Ergo with infant insert in the basket of the stroller, so if DD got fussy, I stuck her in the carrier and wore her.

I swaddle her usually in the bassinet. In the Summit I have a snuzzler. I think the straps bother her. They are so big, I think its just uncomfortable in there even with the snuzzler. I load her in the stroller in the garage too but she's uncomfortable from the start in that stroller it seems.

chiisai
10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Mine hated it until around a year old...

Mine, too.

DadWannaBe
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Does the BJCS not have a flat recline or bassinet? I prefer not to use the carseat for anything more than a few minutes outside the car, actually haven't taken it out of the base at all with DD. Its not great for babies to spend a lot of time in them. Neither of mine have loved the infant seat anyway, we have a lot of crying in the car.

The BJCS has a basket seat that can recline flat, but it does not have neck support so it cannot be used for infants below 6 months (essentially until they can support their neck). I know about limiting the time babies spend in carseats, but for us, it's not an issue. Right now the boys are at home. We both work part-time and one of us will be with the boys until they are 3 months when we'll go back to work full-time. The babies only get car rides about once a week and right now, I take the boys out on a walk in the BJCSD about twice a week for about an hour. So they only spend about 3 hours per week in the car seat. From 3 months until they can hold up their heads, it will likely increase a lot, but we'll figure that out when we get there.

legaleagle
10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Most kids have more than enough head control by 3 months that you should be able to use the seats, certainly you can use them with a snuzzler. BJ is likely saying 6 months because they're using the conservative British standards which basically decree that babies under 6 months need a 180 recline.

bisous
10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
BayGirl2 this is making me laugh. My DS is about a week ahead of yours and not a huge stroller fan. He actually cries quite a bit. This is actually somewhat newsworthy to me because my two older DSs LOVED the stroller from day one. It is heartening to hear that this is "normal" for a lot of kids AND that they grow out of it. We're crossing our fingers that our stroller stash will work out!

One thing that has worked for us is to put DS in the MBUD with the snuzzler and then strap him up and then wrap his arms with an A & A blanket AROUND the snuzzler. It immobilizes his arms which really helps him relax. It has been tough because he gets very hot. (It was 100 degrees yesterday!) He still cries though sometimes. He's getting better though which is good because we use the stroller twice a day to drop off and pick up biggest brother from school!

mom3boys
10-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Most kids have more than enough head control by 3 months that you should be able to use the seats, certainly you can use them with a snuzzler. BJ is likely saying 6 months because they're using the conservative British standards which basically decree that babies under 6 months need a 180 recline.

My DS is 3 months old today. I've been using stroller seat (Vista, BOB, or Onyx--Cybex Onyx is the only fully reclined seat) with a Snuzzler since about 6 weeks. Today I removed the headhugger part of my Snugseat (for the Vista)--just left the rest of the Snugseat that makes the seat a little more cozy. DS's head control is great he doesn't need it any more. If your twins were early they may take a little longer but generally should be fine by 3 months. I honestly don't get why that position (bent at the waist) is OK for the car seat but not the stroller.

ahrimie
10-15-2011, 06:39 AM
My kids weren't much stroller babies until they could stay awake longer. Both of mine had to be put down within the hour MAX after they woke. So that's probably some of your problem. You can try swaddling before putting your babe in too.

mackmama
10-15-2011, 07:37 PM
DC was in the stroller from week one and was very happy in it. We started with the bassinet on the Mountain Buggy Terrain. We didn't use the Bee until DC was 1-2 months. DC is now 9mo and has always been pretty content in the stroller - although DC seems to prefer the Bee or Terrain over our umbrella stroller).