PDA

View Full Version : Can we start talking about Christmas toys yet?

BabyBearsMom
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I know it is early, but MIL wants a list for DD and apparently, the list I gave her didn't have anything "big" or "flashy" enough for MIL (ignores DD all year and suddenly needs a big flashy gift that we don't need grumble grumble). DD will be 20 months old at Christmas. She loves puzzles, coloring, Elmo and toys that are good for pretend (tea sets, pots and pans etc.).

The restricting factor is we don't have a lot of room in our house. I would love to get her the Loving Family dollhouse or a play kitchen but space is a premium. She has a small kids table and a PB Anywhere Chair.

Santa is bringing her a Potty Time Elmo (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-N4672-Potty-time-Elmo/dp/B001IEYYI6) and DH and I are giving her a Bjorn potty, the Elmo potty DVD, some potty books and some new bath toys (the girl is obsessed with the potty and Elmo). My Mom got DD a set of Uncle Goose blocks, some play food and a doll with zippers and buttons on it. What else for a 20 month old at Xmas?

lhafer
10-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Mine will be 20 months old at Christmas too. I am planning on giving her doll related stuff - a stroller, maybe a doll crib or highchair because she loves baby dolls. Their "big" gift will be a play kitchen. Mine already has all the hand-me-down toys from 5 year old big sister, so she has a ton of toys already.

Really, they don't need much at this age, because they tend to play with the box the toy comes in more than the toy!! But my DD2 loves anything button related...she loves to push buttons, pretend talk on the phone, etc.

BabyBearsMom
10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Mine will be 20 months old at Christmas too. I am planning on giving her doll related stuff - a stroller, maybe a doll crib or highchair because she loves baby dolls. Their "big" gift will be a play kitchen. Mine already has all the hand-me-down toys from 5 year old big sister, so she has a ton of toys already.

Really, they don't need much at this age, because they tend to play with the box the toy comes in more than the toy!! But my DD2 loves anything button related...she loves to push buttons, pretend talk on the phone, etc.

We don't have the hand me downs, but I feel the same way. DD tends to cycle between one or two favorites and plays exclusively with those for a few days and then moves on. The only thing she consistently likes is books which are way too boring for MIL

ljackson
10-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Maybe a tricycle or something along those lines?

connor_mommy
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
How about a playhouse for outside?

HonoluluMom
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Art supplies and an easel (don't they make tabletop versions?).

toby
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
It sounds like you don't have room, but we have loved our Learning Tower. Your DD might be too young, but what if MIL gave her a super-large set of magnatiles that she will "grow into"??(these stack and take up no space) Score! Or, some nice wooden (Barclay) blocks? Or some sets of Haba blocks and other Haba wooden toys?

elliput
10-14-2011, 09:19 PM
I know it is early, but MIL wants a list for DD and apparently, the list I gave her didn't have anything "big" or "flashy" enough for MIL (ignores DD all year and suddenly needs a big flashy gift that we don't need grumble grumble).

Maybe you should suggest a big, flashy check for her college fund. :innocent:

LMPC
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Maybe you should suggest a big, flashy check for her college fund. :innocent:
Amen to that! We have started to encourage this since our front room looks like a TRU threw up in it. And that's despite my attempts to weed out!

The Review Mommy
10-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I saw in Toys R Us that Fisher Price has a new Loving Family Dollhouse. It is completely furnished and the decor switches from Christmas to everyday. It even comes with a Christmas tree. I like the layout much better then the grand which opens in thirds where two of the sides are small/compartmentalized. The new house has only two opening sides that are much larger with one small room at the top. The best part is it doesn't scream girl. The color scheme is updated neutral. ;) Looks like it's exclusive to Toys R Us but you can also buy from the Fisher Price website.

The Review Mommy
10-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Where is the "like" button for the trike recommendation? Lol! We still have and love this one. I recommend it to everyone.
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Roadster-12-Inch-Trike-Blue/dp/B000TLC4JA/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319338824&sr=1-1

acmom
10-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Where is the "like" button for the trike recommendation? Lol! We still have and love this one. I recommend it to everyone.
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Roadster-12-Inch-Trike-Blue/dp/B000TLC4JA/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319338824&sr=1-1

We have this one and love it too!

zag95
10-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Ditto to above- we also have the Schwinn Roadster- in a stylish red- dd loves it, esp the bell!

elbenn
10-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Wheely bugs are really cute and your MIL might think it is flashy enough.