PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your prenatal

drako
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
With DD I took RX prenatal that contained DHA. After looking at it, it doesn't really seem to be that complete of a vitamin compared to some of the over the counter brands. I ordered the Rainbow Light One online and just read that the red raspberry leaf that it contains could cause miscarriages early on...so now I am stumped. I like to not have to take a lot of pills. Currently, I am taking prenatals from GNC but there are so many to take (2 prenatal multis, 1 calcium and a DHA). Anyone, like the Rainbow Light and use throughout your entire pregnancy? Any other recommendations? Should I go back to the RX since I didn't have any problems and DD was/is healthy?

daisymommy
10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I highly recommend the Rainbow Light prenatal. That's what I took all throughout pregnancies #2, #3, and now #4 :)

It's a myth that the red raspberry leaf will cause miscarriage. It will strengthen and tone your uterus, and support a healthy pregnancy.

I think alot of misinformed mainstream websites that really are uneducated on herbal and natural medicine say things that they don't know much about.

Katigre
10-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I take the Belly Bar chewables from amazon's subscribe and save. I take them so that I get regular vitamins and not for pregnancy, but they're designed to be prenatals. I also would do a chewable DHA with that (big fan of chewable vitamins over here!). I do Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 1000IU chewable capsules too.

BabyBearsMom
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I take the One A Day prenatals. They have two pills in the pack, a multivitamin and a DHA supplement. My midwife recommended them.

stewmom
10-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I tried Rx Neevo and NeevoDHA, but wasn't impressed with their seeming incompleteness and lack of response to my e-mails requesting information. Switched to New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal from WF plus extra Metafolin (by Solgar) since that was why OB had recommended the Neevo. The prenatal is supposed to be 3x/day so I just try to remember to take it with meals.

Good luck!

Stewmom

MSWR0319
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I take the Target prenatal and an extra DHA.

brittone2
10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Another fan of Rainbow Light prenatals. I took them pre-conception and throughout my pregnancies.

Swallowbird23
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I take the Nature Made prenatals WITHOUT DHA (the DHA ones have red dye in them) And then I take the Nordic Naturals prentatl DHA supplement. My doctor said it was a good combo and I have no complaints but this is my first, so nothing to compare to.

mikala
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
On the topic, is there a preferred source for the DHA supplement? I've been taking Kirkland fish oil capsules and wonder if there's something else I should consider while TTC and beyond. I looked at the ingredients on the Nordic Naturals prenatal and it just seems to be fish oil, similar ingredients to the Costco version.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/98/?ProdID=1434

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11072245

I second the other recs for Rainbow Light for the prenatal vitamin.

daisymommy
10-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Mikala~ This part of the Costco/Kirkland brand fish oil is what I was going to say is very important to look for in a fish oil supplement (and they do include this statement online in the description).

Quote: "State-of-the-art molecular distillation process is used to remove mercury, PCBs and dioxins"

They look fine to me. They have slightly less DHA than the Nordic Naturals (300 vrs. 450), but for the price, I think they look good.