PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Beyblades?

hillview
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
What are they? How do you play with them?

crl
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
They are like complicated tops. They "battle" which means all the neighborhood boys kneel around the stadium saying things like let her rip and using the rip cord thingies to make them spin. DS has several but that's really all I know. LOL.

Catherine

Meatball Mommie
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
They are actually quite cool if I do say so myself! We have 2 and the stadium. Both boys were asking for them after kids at school talked about them. They are basically tops that "battle" by hitting each other as they spin. It works best for battling if you have the stadium ($10). My boys do play with theirs outside the stadium though. It's just a fancy top with a plastic rip cord. My boys insist on saying "1,2,3 - Let 'er rip" like they do on TV ;) before every battle. DS1 traded his blade for one of his friend's blades at school. I think there are different attributes (stamina, etc.) for the tops, but we only have 2, so I don't know the actual differences...

hillview
10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
OK thanks. I must be totally clueless. We have a TV but have never seen that commercial. It does sound like something DSs would like!

bisous
10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
DS1 (8 yo) just got some for his birthday. I do think they're pretty cool! We have the stadium and 3 tops and DS2 (just barely 4!) loves them too!

KrisM
10-14-2011, 10:24 PM
We have a bunch, as do most of the neighbors. Funniest thing I saw all summer - 9 kids huddled around a stadium all yelling "3 2 1 let 'er rip"! My 3 yo can launch one as well.

We have probably 8 beys and 1 stadium. It gets used pretty regularly still (DS1 got it for Christmas). In the summer, they did launch them on the deck and down the slide. They're pretty fun.

squimp
10-14-2011, 10:43 PM
The kids at school see whose spins for the longest, and that's how you win. I agree they seem cool buy my daughter didn't want one.

kboyle
10-14-2011, 11:32 PM
All 3 of my boys have had them since about Easter. We've got the plasticy stadium and the travel one...they are pretty fun! DH battles the boys all the time, just be careful and have your child sit back when you launch and play, since it's metal hitting metal on plastic they can "jump"...ds2 has had some 'beyblade' injuries and has gotten hit in the face by hovering over the stadium. There is a 'warning' on the pkg and stadium.

We have about 20, you can mix and match the 4 interchangeable pieces of the tops. There are different types of launchers too.

hillview
10-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Ok we have EVERY toy under the sun. How can I not know about these??

JustMe
10-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the thread and the info! I have never heard of these either, but they are definitely going on ds' Chanukah list.

JustMe
10-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Okay, where did you buy the stadium and what are good starting out pieces? I looked on amazon and got totally overwhelmed. The stadium was at least $19, and there are so many other things!

elbenn
10-15-2011, 12:28 PM
What's the point of getting more than 2 beyblades? Are they different in anything other than the looks of them, i.e. do they have different spinning attributes?

wimama
10-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I like Beyblades. They are fun. DH and DS battle quite a bit. And, I am not too bad myself.;)

The kids at DS school are crazy about them. They are even sneaking them into the lunch room and playing during lunch. Which means they will likely be banned soon from school, soon. Mainly the boys play at recess or after-school care and sometimes they build new Beyblades by mixing parts from other tops.

The minimum you need to get started is two Beyblade tops and a stadium, but the tops have different qualities like attach, stamina, balance and stamina. So different tops are better at attaching your opponents, and other tops are better at spinning longer, etc. Different stadiums have slightly different designs so the tops perform differently in different stadiums.

I love any toy that does not light up, make loud noises or is a video game, so Beyblades are good fun toys in my book.:thumbsup:

wimama
10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Target has stadiums for around $10 and we have got deals on the tops, like Buy one get one at Toysrus.

hillview
10-15-2011, 04:18 PM
BJs has the staduim and 3 of the top things. I think they were $29

JustMe
10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
BJs has the staduim and 3 of the top things. I think they were $29

Thanks Amy and hillview! Too bad we don't have a BJs here that would have been an easy way to get started.

hellokitty
10-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Also, for beyblade addicts, my DH bought a bunch of beyblade stickers off of ebay. These are ones from asia, I think korea. My kids LOVE them and we gave a few to a friend's son who is also into beyblades and he went crazy over them.

Tondi G
10-17-2011, 02:03 AM
What's the point of getting more than 2 beyblades? Are they different in anything other than the looks of them, i.e. do they have different spinning attributes?

they are all very different. They spin differently... some have rougher patterns and knock into other tops better .... thus winning the "battle"

If you really want your kids to have winning beys look on Amazon for the JAPANESE brand rather than the american .... read the reviews. Your kiddo will be winning all the battles against the american beys!

All of the kids at my boys school are nuts for Beyblades. They set up tournaments and one dad is starting up a business making custom stadiums.

KrisM
10-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Tops are on sale at TRU this week for buy 1 get 1 50% off. Saves a few $$. Stadiums are around $10 at Target or Meijer.

hellokitty
10-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Oh and if you want beyblades, get them NOW before xmas season. Our friend last yr tried to get some for his son for the holidays and he said that ppl went and cleared out ALL the local stores and posted them on ebay with the price jacked up. From what I can tell, beyblades have only increased in popularity, so it will still be a hot item for this xmas and certain stores, like TRU always seem to have low stock.

lmwbasye
10-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Tops are on sale at TRU this week for buy 1 get 1 50% off. Saves a few $$. Stadiums are around $10 at Target or Meijer.

They are even cheaper at Target for $6.99 each this week.

OP...thanks for this thread. DS1's bday is this week and DH and I were seriously stumped on what else to get him (all he asked for was a joystick?!) I think he'll like this. :)