PDA

View Full Version : How Many Winter Seasons Can A Good Quality Winter Coat Be Worn

Kindra178
10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I have noticed for myself that coats (down or primaloft) don't seem to be as warm after a few seasons of wear. I assume it is the same for kids' coats, but I doubt a 4 year old would be able to express that. So cold weather mamas, can a kid's winter coat be worn for four winter seasons? More?

crl
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Huh, I have never noticed that with my winter coats. I must be unobservant?

Catherine

hellokitty
10-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I have 3 boys and have always passed on coats. They seem to be just as warm and puffy as they were for the first child.

hillview
10-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Huh, I have never noticed that with my winter coats. I must be unobservant?

Catherine

:yeahthat:
My boys wore a coat for 4 years (2 years each) and DS2 was never (core) cold on the final year. It was from LL Bean and we handed it down. I don't see it really getting less warm (cold).

Raewyn
10-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Might depend on the coat. I like land's end, and I usually get sick of the coat and want a new one rather than notice it getting colder. A couple of winters wearing the same coat for five or six months . . .

I am allergic to down, so mine never have down in them. Not sure if that is a factor.

robinsmommy
10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Hmmm - so many of the mamas here don't put kids into a carseat with a heavy coat for safety reasons, and while I also don't, I have been known to wear my own into the car (with the coat open, and pulled out from under the belt in the front to help make it fit better).

I would think that wearing your own coat in the car a lot if you spend a chunk of time driving would crush things really well. I would also guess that so many mamas act as kid chauffeurs that they get 2X or more as much time in the car as their kid, and so much more coat-smashing could happen.....just a theory....

I guess I would look at the overall wear, and if it looks worn, and is crushed beyond fluffing (in the dryer, no heat with clean shoes or a down fluffer to puff things up), then perhaps it might not be as warm. If it looks ok, I don't see that it should be an issue. I could see a good coat like LLBean or hanna being ok, esp. I have seen cheap kid coats that look trashed after a single season.

AnnieW625
10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Dd1 could probably get another season out of her fleece lines parka from Hanna Andersson so this would be season 3. Dd2 will probably end up getting another 2 years out of each one. Both jackets are in VEUC, but have gotten lots of wear.

Kindra178
10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
What got me thinking of that was personal experience and this article:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/insulated+outerwear.html

It seems that the more either down or a synthetic is compressed, the less well it provides insulation. It actually confirms my experience that a coat on it's 4th year isn't quite as warm.

Here in crazy cold Chiland, we wear winter coats from November until into April (last year there was snow on April 21). It's a long, long season for coats.

Simon
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I have found that if a coat isn't well stiched then the down might settle and leave cold spots. But I think that is more a design quality of the coat issue. This may also be a problem if it is improperly laundered. The down won't retain its original loft, which is very important to its ability to keep you warm.

I am a bit surprised though. We have hand-me-down sleeping bags made of down (yes, not a coat but subejct to lots of compression) and they are still incredibly warm after 30 years vs. the synthetic down bag which lasted barely 7 yrs.