PDA

View Full Version : uppababy cruz versus bee

sal799
10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
does anyonw know when the cruz will finally be out? how will it compare to the bee?

legaleagle
10-16-2011, 09:18 AM
It's supposed to be shipping in the next few weeks. As to push etc, nobody knows yet. I believe it will weigh the same as the bee, maybe a lb or 2 less.

Multimama
10-16-2011, 09:25 AM
It's supposed to be shipping in the next few weeks. As to push etc, nobody knows yet. I believe it will weigh the same as the bee, maybe a lb or 2 less.

Well, I'm willing to bet the Bee will have a better push. :)

But just from looking at it online I said the Cruz is
• cuter
• cheaper
• comes with Uppababy's awesome customer service
• and *may* have an easier fold and/or seat reversal mechanism

But Legaleagle is right, really we don't know much until it arrives in stores. Hopefully soon!

poohbear
10-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, I'm willing to bet the Bee will have a better push. :)

But just from looking at it online I said the Cruz is
• cuter
• cheaper
• comes with Uppababy's awesome customer service

But Legaleagle is right, really we don't know much until it arrives in stores. Hopefully soon!

Okay, I must disagree with the cuter part - I think my mini-wheelchair is super cute and the cruz looks a bit bland to me. Not sure about the fold mechanism - while the bee is tricky to fold in parent facing mode, it's still not awful IMO. And overall it has a super easy fold.

But the price is a lot lower!

My guess is that the push will not be as fab as the bee, but if it's a nice push, it may not be a big deal.
If I didn't have my bee, I'd be looking at it. But I'd also be looking at the baby jogger versa for the same price...
Or a used bee plus for the same price...

Multimama
10-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Okay, I must disagree with the cuter part - I think my mini-wheelchair is super cute and the cruz looks a bit bland to me. Not sure about the fold mechanism - while the bee is tricky to fold in parent facing mode, it's still not awful IMO. And overall it has a super easy fold.

But the price is a lot lower!

My guess is that the push will not be as fab as the bee, but if it's a nice push, it may not be a big deal.
If I didn't have my bee, I'd be looking at it. But I'd also be looking at the baby jogger versa for the same price...
Or a used bee plus for the same price...

Yeah, I'm more excited about the Versa just because the fold looks *great* and that is so important to me with public transportation use.

You used to be the #1 hater of the Bee's looks! What happened?? :) I saw a child in a wheelchair at the mall the other day and it really, really, really looked like the Bee. In addition to aesthetics, I also feel like the seat is too close to the ground for comfort with infants. (Don't know how the Cruz will compare in that respect, but I will be keeping an eye out.)

poohbear
10-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I'm more excited about the Versa just because the fold looks *great* and that is so important to me with public transportation use.

You used to be the #1 hater of the Bee's looks! What happened?? :) I saw a child in a wheelchair at the mall the other day and it really, really, really looked like the Bee. In addition to aesthetics, I also feel like the seat is too close to the ground for comfort with infants. (Don't know how the Cruz will compare in that respect, but I will be keeping an eye out.)

I still am not a fan of the bee minus looks. What happened is that I got one and LOOOVE it - it is honestly like the perfect stroller ;) . Plus I have cute canopies for it! The seat doesn't strike me as that close to the ground in comparison to my BJCM, but maybe I'm off. I haven't used it with an infant yet...
And yes, I still think it looks a little like a mini-wheelchair, but the cruz looks bland to me for some reason. Maybe I'm just over it since it's taken them an extra year to bring it out!

Multimama
10-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I still am not a fan of the bee minus looks. What happened is that I got one and LOOOVE it - it is honestly like the perfect stroller ;) . Plus I have cute canopies for it! The seat doesn't strike me as that close to the ground in comparison to my BJCM, but maybe I'm off. I haven't used it with an infant yet...
And yes, I still think it looks a little like a mini-wheelchair, but the cruz looks bland to me for some reason. Maybe I'm just over it since it's taken them an extra year to bring it out!

Yeah, I was really excited about it in September of 2010, but now it just feels like old news. :)

I think if I lived in the right neighborhood I could get a Bee, but it is just not an option for me here. I couldn't bring one on the bus. No way. DH already got in a stroller war with someone on the bus who told him he was going to go to hell and wouldn't stop yelling at him until the driver told her to be quiet. I can't imagine boarding with a Bee!

legaleagle
10-16-2011, 10:17 AM
vs. BJ versa - am I the only one that thinks that adding 5 lbs of weight (24 lbs is the reported weight) pushes it into a different category, even with the awesome fold? Though I know part of the perceived weight is how awkward something is to pick up. And I know I'm the only one obsessed with the icandy strawberry, which is also supposed to be ~24lbs. Love the push-handle-forward fold on that one though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91GhMysc4y8

The cruz fold looks really nice too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFE-24--3A Very flat and it looks like you can fold it with the seat reversed, maybe?

MamaBear
10-16-2011, 11:07 AM

It isn't a BJ-type fold, but I can't imagine how it could get any easier. Same for the seat positioning on the Bee+, I think the only way it could be easier is if it was controlled by telepathy :rotflmao:

Multimama
10-16-2011, 02:22 PM
It isn't a BJ-type fold, but I can't imagine how it could get any easier. Same for the seat positioning on the Bee+, I think the only way it could be easier is if it was controlled by telepathy :rotflmao:

I don't know. I've read a lot of people complaining about it. I guess once you get used to it it seems easy. Also easy to fold and then transport is important to me. Lots of people say Baby Joggers have an easy fold, but without an automatic lock it's a total PITA for me. I like the look of the Versa fold because I can imagine folding it and successfully carrying it in the same motion.

Multimama
10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
vs. BJ versa - am I the only one that thinks that adding 5 lbs of weight (24 lbs is the reported weight) pushes it into a different category, even with the awesome fold? Though I know part of the perceived weight is how awkward something is to pick up. And I know I'm the only one obsessed with the icandy strawberry, which is also supposed to be ~24lbs. Love the push-handle-forward fold on that one though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91GhMysc4y8

The cruz fold looks really nice too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFE-24--3A Very flat and it looks like you can fold it with the seat reversed, maybe?

I would be excited about the Strawberry if I thought it was going to cost less than $700 (and/or have the resale value of the Bee).

Ooh, OP, that will be another sure difference between the Bee and Cruz. The Bee will have better resale value. Although Uppababys usually have good resale value too.

MamaBear
10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't know. I've read a lot of people complaining about it.

Have you tried it yourself? I know that for the Bee- the seat mechanism was beyond tricky, and maybe that affected the ease of fold, but the Bee+ is incredibly easy and intuitive. Even with the seat parent-facing, it's just a matter of adjusting the seatback (which can be stiff at first and definitely frustrating) and then the same smooth fold action. I find it far easier than my Starck, for instance.

roseyloxs
10-17-2011, 01:54 AM
From watching the video that PP linked earlier I would say the only thing the cruz has on the bee is price and maybe seat height. Changing the seat from parent facing to forward facing may be a tad easier but its pretty easy as is on the bee+. I have done it many times on request in a matter of seconds. The fold looks bulky with the bucket seat. If they had found a way for it to collapse like the versa it would be more impressive.

I am over the cruz but I can't wait to see what the versa, strawberry and even the June have to offer. I saw the maxi-cosi elea a few weeks ago and was completely underwhelmed. The fold was umbrella like (comparable to the zapp) but not as small as you would think or hope. I didn't test out the push really so I can't comment much on that.

June preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3YXMksEUzk
Looks like a bee with air tires. Low seat, similar fold. The bassinet and car seat sit up higher though, that's nice.

strawberry preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91GhMysc4y8
I can see the appeal but the fold looks like a full size stroller.

legaleagle
10-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I think I like the strawberry so much is it's just gorgeous. And icandy has such nice fabrics. Apparently it has the largest seat of any of the icandy strollers too. It is going to be a zillion dollars I know. Since I've never gotten it together to actually sell any strollers though, I can't say resale value is a huge motivator to me.

That video of the June looks fantastic! I really hope they bring it here.

I wish the cruz came in better colors. I do love denny (that's my vista) but I would have a lot harder time resisting that sebby teal.

Multimama
10-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Looks like a bee with air tires. Low seat, similar fold. The bassinet and car seat sit up higher though, that's nice.

When is it being released in Europe? Maybe you can do a review for us! And that must be a Cybex Aton on the chassis. :)

rolypoly27
10-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Cruz only folds with the seat forward facing, if that is important to you. This was my first choice stroller and I was waiting for it to debut for the longest time. We even went 7 months without a stroller because I wanted to wait for the Cruz to come out. I finally gave up and went with the Bee+. It has been an awesome stroller for us but there are a few things I am missing -- more canopy coverage (it gets very sunny here in SoCal), peekaboo window, bigger basket, and higher seat. It seems like the Cruz would fulfill these needs, but then I'd also be giving up a better push, more compact fold, and the folding capability with the seat parent facing. I'm not sure how much hassle it would be to switch the seat around every time I fold and unfold the stroller. The Cruz also has several new accessories that are appealing to me, as well as excellent customer service, which is very important to me. So, as you can tell, I'm very much undecided about whether to keep my Bee+ or trade it for the Cruz. I'll be very interested in some IRL comparisons between the two.

sal799
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
I am over the cruz but I can't wait to see what the versa, strawberry and even the June have to offer. I saw the maxi-cosi elea a few weeks ago and was completely underwhelmed. The fold was umbrella like (comparable to the zapp) but not as small as you would think or hope. I didn't test out the push really so I can't comment much on that.

yeah, i think I would buy the versa, but i needa stroller now, and dont/cant wait till spring- i dont have a single right now, jsut my double and a snap and go for my baby. my 2 yo is in preschool now, and snap n go is not for walking, so i want a single i can walk comfortable with.
anyhow, woudl love the versa i think. when is the jane coming out? soon? i am dfefinitly going to wait a couple of weeks to see if versa comes out, but i think i am going to end up wtih the bee.

Pilotbaby
10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
From watching the video that PP linked earlier I would say the only thing the cruz has on the bee is price and maybe seat height. Changing the seat from parent facing to forward facing may be a tad easier but its pretty easy as is on the bee+. I have done it many times on request in a matter of seconds. The fold looks bulky with the bucket seat. If they had found a way for it to collapse like the versa it would be more impressive.

Can you please tell me who makes the June? Love the video but I can't find the actual stroller information online. Thank you.

legaleagle
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Easywalker makes the June but it isn't released yet, so all you'll find is notes from people who saw it at the European trade show.

Multimama
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Cruz only folds with the seat forward facing, if that is important to you. This was my first choice stroller and I was waiting for it to debut for the longest time. We even went 7 months without a stroller because I wanted to wait for the Cruz to come out. I finally gave up and went with the Bee+. It has been an awesome stroller for us but there are a few things I am missing -- more canopy coverage (it gets very sunny here in SoCal), peekaboo window, bigger basket, and higher seat. It seems like the Cruz would fulfill these needs, but then I'd also be giving up a better push, more compact fold, and the folding capability with the seat parent facing. I'm not sure how much hassle it would be to switch the seat around every time I fold and unfold the stroller. The Cruz also has several new accessories that are appealing to me, as well as excellent customer service, which is very important to me. So, as you can tell, I'm very much undecided about whether to keep my Bee+ or trade it for the Cruz. I'll be very interested in some IRL comparisons between the two.

You made me remember what a huge fan of peekaboo windows I am. Lack of peekaboo window is really a dealbreaker for me.

anyhow, woudl love the versa i think. when is the jane coming out? soon? i am dfefinitly going to wait a couple of weeks to see if versa comes out, but i think i am going to end up wtih the bee.

The Versa won't be out until February at the earliest so no need to wait for that. Or did you mean Cruz?

sal799
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
You made me remember what a huge fan of peekaboo windows I am. Lack of peekaboo window is really a dealbreaker for me.

The Versa won't be out until February at the earliest so no need to wait for that. Or did you mean Cruz?

yeah, i meant cruz. i dont thinjk i can wait until feb. bummer.

rolypoly27
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
yeah, i meant cruz. i dont thinjk i can wait until feb. bummer.

The Cruz should be out in the next few weeks. The Versa is the one that will be out in Feb.

PGTB
10-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Unless they add suspension to the wheels, I would expect Cruz would be awfully bumpy. Vista is already bumpy with larger wheels, Cruz will have smaller wheels, also EVA plastic and but similar tall frame. Don't know... the ergonomics don't look too promising to me. I think UppaBaby G-luxe has better softer suspension and double wheels and seems like their better designed stroller.