PDA

View Full Version : Vista or Teutonia-which to keep?--Edited with Pics!

mom3boys
10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
See side by side pics below---

I have the Uppababy Vista Maya.

I just found a Teutonia T-260 stroller on CL for a great price as it included the T-Tario 32 car seat (which is an upgrade for me, I am using my friend's 4 yo Graco Snugride--and the T-Tario is basically a Graco with nicer fabrics and, in my case a higher weight limit). Stroller and car seat are 2009 model. I figured I would get to try/see/play with a Teutonia IRL, and then I could keep the car seat/sell the stroller for what I paid.

The problem is, I am sort of in love with the Teutonia now. To the point where I am considering selling the Vista for the Teutonia. I have the pros and cons below, but any advice is appreciated (oh, and please no comments about buying a used car seat, thanks).

Teutonia better:
-Push is definitely better, no question. It practically pushes itself.
-Smaller footprint, narrower wheelbase
-Related to above--easier to lift/bounce up the 3 stairs of my porch
-Weight--probably a wash but Teutonia seems a little lighter
-3 wheels. I'm a 3-wheel fan, just like the aesthetics/maneuverability.
-has handbrake so that the stroller won't get away from you.
-shockingly, I think I like the canopy better. The way the folds work to hide the peek-a-boo window, or expose it, or you can zip-off the back and just have the mesh, it's pretty impressive.
-the handlebar is curved vs. squared, I like it a little better
-It's different. Where I live is all Vistas and Bugs
-I suppose I could sort of jog with it. All the wheels are air filled (though tubeless) and it has large front tire that can lock.

Vista Better:
-Basket is better hands down-much bigger and more accessible
-Seat is higher up so baby feels "closer"
-Vista bassinet has plusher fabrics--this doesn't matter to me personally since DS is almost too big for the bassinet anyway and I won't use it anymore on the stroller.
-Well, the canopy is awesome too. Maybe that's a wash
-Maya is prettier, no question (I have navy in the Teutonia--classy, understated, but not pretty)
-Seat size-I think the Vista seat is a little bigger/longer seatback and would last for longer
-Bumper bar-the Teutonia one is odd in that it can swing very easily back and forth--I hope it's supposed to do that! I like the Vista one better.
-Positioning of the footbrake is better
-Resale value better--doesn't matter so much, but my Vista is in almost perfect condition. I was only planning to use it about a year, the name is well known, etc. The Teutonia is not as well known, already 2 years old, has some scratches, and the frame style (3-wheeled vs. 4-wheeled) is discontinued in the U.S. which might cause some alarm. So if I use it for a year--well, I probably won't get much for it.

Unsure:
-Seat--they are quite different. The Vista has the "bucket" seat, so when most reclined DS's legs are up; 4 positions, adjustable footrest (multi position).
Teutonia seat has a recline on the seat back (rather than the whole seat tipping up or down). It doesn't fully recline but Vista doesn't either. We took it out for a spin today, DS slept fine. 3 positions on the recline, including very upright. Footrest adjusts but only 2 positions.
I think maybe the Vista wins on seat but I might not know until DS is older.
Fold-Neither are great. The fold on the chassis of the Teutonia is super-easy but you can't really fold it with seat on--it will fold that way but is not compact at all. Vista folds in one piece but I usually take the seat off anyway when I fold since I am using it parent-facing.

Extras are a wash-
I have car seat adapter, rain cover, bug cover for both, plus a footmuff for the Teutonia and a Snugseat for the Vista.

Anyone had both/preferred one over the other? I think it is mostly coming down to push vs. big basket. Some people may not find the basket very important but I happen to make good use of the Vista basket. I can't keep both strollers--I have little room to store them and need to make my $$ back :(

ETA: Here is a link comparing them side by side: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65062763@N02/

roseyloxs
10-17-2011, 03:12 AM
I don't have personal experience with either but based on what you laid out I would keep the Teutonia and just buy some hooks (http://www.amazon.com/Think-King-Stroller-Wheelchair-Rollator/dp/B002MXP3SM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318835458&sr=8-2) for extra storage.

As you said the vista will get great resale value so you can hopefully make almost all your money back if you sell right now.

swissair81
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
I would sell the Vista now, because it has a good resale value, and keep the Teutonia. The push is more important than the basket. Neither my Swift nor my Bee have amazing storage, but I like them better as strollers. I have a mommy hook on my Swift, and double hooks on my Bee.

mom3boys
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
swissair81, I was hoping you would weigh in since i know you had a post recently where you sold your Vista since you didn't like the push. I suppose if I had had a travel monster or something I would think the Vista pushed great in comparison, but I also have a Bee- and a BOB Duallie and after pushing a BOB, well, I have high expectations!

Sigh, I think I'm just having issues since I thought the Vista would really be the perfect stroller for me and it's just not working out that way. Luckily I got it on Gilt so I can probably sell it used for about what I paid for it new (hey, free stroller for 5 months!). I am going to think on it a bit more . . .

swissair81
10-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I wished the Vista would have worked for me too. It was the almost perfect car triple, except that I couldn't push it. I have a Bugaboo Cam that I have my eyes on, that I am hoping will stay on CL until I get home from Switzerland (I really can't afford a new one, and even if I could, I'm not sure if I could spend 1K on a stroller). I have a neighbor with a Teutonia 260 and she loves it. She can't gush enough about it. I was also thinking about a MB Plus One, but my son is going to be 3 this week, he walks a lot now, and it's also too expensive for me. We finally figured out how to use the Hitchhiker, and I think a roller board is all I need by this point. Maybe with the next one...

mom3boys
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah that's another thing, I don't need all the capabilities of the Vista. DS2 is too big for a rumbleseat, is almost 3.5 and walks mostly, I have not even been using a board, although he would probably ride it if I had one.

And I had thought of the Plus One also, but I really don't need a double stroller anymore (and I don't have the $$ to buy a brand new stroller anyway). BOB is just around for when we do hikes, etc. on weekends and I think I'll keep it for the winter for snowy preschool pickups. But otherwise I don't want to push a double (even BOB) when I don't have to.

Totally hear you on the Cam--I think that is a good option too, the Teutonia just happened to come up and be a good deal in my case.

As for the "next one" DS3 is definitely my last so I suppose I shouldn't waste time with a stroller I don't love!

spannaz
10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Wow that Teutonia sounds great! And if you're spoiled by the BOB push, and think the Teutonia is great, it must really be :D.

If you're able, I would LOVE to see the Vista and Teutonia side by side. You're comparison/ pros&cons were great- would love to see them IRL (well in pics really, haha ;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spannaz
10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks so much for the pics!! The Maya is so pretty but the Teut looks like it would be awesome as you LO grows esp since you said you wouldn't need the bassinet much longer. If you love the push on the Teut, I would say keep that one and get all your money back for the Vista ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legaleagle
10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Love the teutonia! I'm always in favor of keeping the more unique stroller, personally :)

arivecchi
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Better push wins in my book! Plus, from your description, you certainly seem to like the Teutonia better.

mom3boys
10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks all! Wish I could have gotten some better angles on the comparisons but I live in a row house, all my rooms are like 10 feet wide :) (And I have no yard so couldn't take outside).

It was shocking to me when I actually compared--the seats are virtually the same size, the Vista is just SO much higher up I assumed the seat was bigger (you can see how high it is in the pics).

I should mention--I have the bassinet for the Teutonia too. I didn't show it in pics and I haven't put it on the stroller since DS doesn't really need to ride in a bassinet anymore. BUT, I am using the Vista bassinet as DS's bed right now, but he could use the Teut bassinet if I sell the Vista. I haven't compared them side-by-side but the Teut bassinet is probably about the same size as the Vista. It is about time to transition DS to the crib anyway so I'm not worried about it.

I wrote up a CL description for Maya last night "just in case". I have to take pics still, but I guess the wheels are in motion. Any suggestions on pricing? There are a LOT of Vistas on my CL but no Maya's at the moment. And new Vista's are on sale in some colors for $499 but the Maya color luckily is not, the cheapest I can find it on-line is $598.

I was thinking maybe $425? That includes a Graco adapter which I bought separately (used on CL, of course, but looks brand-new) and the SnugSeat which is usually a separate accessory. Oh and I have a Sunshine Kids organizer/cupholder I can throw in. And obviously the raincover etc. that came with the stroller.

The stroller is in perfect condition not a scratch on it.

Eagletmom
10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I had a Teut 160 and a Vista at one point. I liked them both but I found the fold on the Teut to be really bulky. I also felt like the seat pushed my son forward. I loved the suspension on the teutonia however.

mom3boys
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Eagletmom I agree on both points. I really feel the need to take the seat off to fold the Teut. Folded with the seat on is doable but just tremendously bulky. The Vista with seat forward folds flatter.

And I definitely had to put the harness on my little DS in the Teut or he will slide forward. In the bucket style of the Vista, when it's fully reclined, since his bottom is down he stays there whether I have him harnessed or not. I always harness him anyway but it's nice to have the bucket style in the case where I have to put him down in the stroller for a second to attend to other DS.
I'm hoping as he gets older and can sit up on his own, and I can put the stroller seat more upright, this will be less of an issue.