PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica, anyone?

hoodlims
10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I have been getting more sciatic pain this time around, and always just in one leg/side of lower back. With #1, I used to only get it after doing the deed, but now it hits all the time. Anybody have tips/advice to reduce and alleviate the pain?

Reina
10-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I had excruciating sciatica pain around week 34. Went to a physical therapist 2-3 times a week. It was VERY helpful.

amldaley
10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
As pp said, a PT can help - if your insurance covers it.

If not, try some basic stretches. Put a warm (NOT HOT) wrap on you lower back BEFORE stretching to loosen the muscles up a little.

Then try some of these http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_health_fitness/lower_stretches.htm

There are other good sites if you need pics of the stretches if you google "stretches for sciatica pregnancy"

Also, walking in good supportive shoes. If sleeping on your side, be sure to have a pillow between your knees. And you might consider a maternity support belt. You can get a script for one, but my Dr actually recommends one from Babies R Us for $25 which she thinks is easier to use than the ones by prescription (less bulky).

hoodlims
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks ladies! I do not think I have the time to make it to any PT sessions as I am a SAHM, but I will attempt those stretches. I have a massage scheduled for this Saturday, so hopefully that will do something too. Sciatica is the worst!

amldaley
10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks ladies! I do not think I have the time to make it to any PT sessions as I am a SAHM, but I will attempt those stretches. I have a massage scheduled for this Saturday, so hopefully that will do something too. Sciatica is the worst!

BE VERY CAREFUL getting a massage for sciatica unless the person is a trained PT. Most will actually stay away from the area or be very gentle there because if they apply to much pressure in the wrong place, it can make it worse.

wallawala
10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd second the rec's for a PT if you can.

I tried a few stretches, heat, etc for mine, and it got worse. Then I got knee pain from walking sideways trying to minimize the sciata. PT helped me immensely, and am still doing the stretches. Am pain free at 30 weeks!

nfowife
10-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I had it and got PT for it with this pregnancy. The PT helped a little but mostly what helped was heat therapy. They had this very large heating pad that went from my waist down to my upper thigh and it would be hot and I would lay on it with back and knee support for about 20 minutes. Then they would massage my backside. Also doing stretches helped.
Honestly, I didn't have a ton of relief until delivery.

ellies mom
10-17-2011, 09:51 PM
One thing that helped the last time I was pregnant was to really, really try and sleep on the other side. If I could spend a night or two sleeping on the other side, it really made a big difference. It was kind of hard because I preferred my right side but it was worth it.

Pyrodjm
10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Seeing a chiro was the only thing that helped with my sciatica during my first pregnancy. I'd had it for a few years at that point but after 6 weeks of regular adjustments it was gone. Hasn't returned either.

hoodlims
10-18-2011, 04:54 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL getting a massage for sciatica unless the person is a trained PT. Most will actually stay away from the area or be very gentle there because if they apply to much pressure in the wrong place, it can make it worse.

No worries, the massage was just for pampering. I was just hoping maybe there would be a nice side effect.

Thanks everyone! it just comes and goes and I am not sure how to avoid it.