PDA

View Full Version : tops under cardigans

elektra
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
What are some of your favorite tops you are wearing under your cardigans or open-type sweaters? I have been buying various forms of cardigans, and a few pairs of pants, but I'm realizing that I don't have much to go under them!
I feel like I need something nicer than plain tees.

pastrygirl
10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I've been trying to find embellished tees, with stuff that would be visible with the cardigan open. Ruffles, sequins, etc. I want to find a silky blouse that ties near the neck, but haven't started looking yet.

blondflava
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I like the sequin/ embelished tanks from express... They always have sales and coupons, too!

arivecchi
10-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't like embellished tees, so I use thick James Perse tank tops or plain Splendid tees.

jvs195
10-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Just about anything works. Lately I like patterened blouses or tees. I always find great options at Nordstrom Rack.

etwahl
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't like embellished tees, so I use thick James Perse tank tops or plain Splendid tees.

I prefer simple tanks and t's under sweaters also. Are the Splendid tees in white see through? Finding the perfect white tshirt seems to be impossible - not see through and long and lean are my goals.

I did buy a couple Eileen Fisher cotton tanks this weekend and I love them, but they are pricey.

arivecchi
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Try james perse. Their tanks are thicker so t's may be as well. I have this awesome stretchy white tee from pea and the pod that I still use and is not see through. I will look for the brand.

elektra
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Ok, maybe I am ok sticking with plain gray and black tees! I worse a patterned shirt this weekend that looked nice under a new cardigan I bought so I was thinking I might want to mix it up a bit more beyond the tees, but maybe I don't really need to.
I should check out James Perse though.
Thanks!

Katigre
10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Get cute camisoles or tank tops (or embellished tshirts) to wear underneath. If you can find a patterned cami that would be best. Avoid being too plain or being 'matchy' with color and under shell.

arivecchi
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
These are the ones I like: http://www.polyvore.com/james_perse_ribbed_tank_top/thing?id=27816211

catpagmo
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Just bumping this to say that I found some tunic camis at Nordstrom Rack yesterday that look cute with longer cardis. The brand is 14th and Union, and they come in a lot of colors. They have adjustable straps, but run large. I'm 5'8, with a long torso, and a size 8, and I bought the small. And they're cheap...$9.97!!! Anyway, thought it may help someone.

DrSally
10-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Just bumping this to say that I found some tunic camis at Nordstrom Rack yesterday that look cute with longer cardis. The brand is 14th and Union, and they come in a lot of colors. They have adjustable straps, but run large. I'm 5'8, with a long torso, and a size 8, and I bought the small. And they're cheap...$9.97!!! Anyway, thought it may help someone.

I've seen those. I have something similar that I love for under other tops--but the cami peaks out underneath.

catpagmo
11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I've seen those. I have something similar that I love for under other tops--but the cami peaks out underneath.

Well, I just stumbled upon them, and I think they are a great solution for under long cardis. I was wearing a t-shirt underneath (not tunic length), and it looked weird on me, because the shirt was short. Now, I've got something the same length, and it looks much better. And, I don't have the "tuck, or don't tuck" problem, either. :) It looks nice untucked!

pastrygirl
11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I scored huge at Nordstrom Rack the other day! Tons of sleeveless or short-sleeved shirts for wearing under cardigans (I get too hot to wear long sleeves underneath). I didn't get anything embellished (with sequins and stuff like that), but I did get tops in different flowy fabrics than I usually wear, great colors/patterns, got one with a tie neck, one with shirring, etc. Each one was under $10!

I also found a great pair of NYDJ that don't have back pockets (eek!), but they work great tucked into boots... so now I have to find a very long cardigan to go with those and the new tops I got, LOL! Need another trip to NR...

DrSally
11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I scored huge at Nordstrom Rack the other day! Tons of sleeveless or short-sleeved shirts for wearing under cardigans (I get too hot to wear long sleeves underneath). I didn't get anything embellished (with sequins and stuff like that), but I did get tops in different flowy fabrics than I usually wear, great colors/patterns, got one with a tie neck, one with shirring, etc. Each one was under $10!

I also found a great pair of NYDJ that don't have back pockets (eek!), but they work great tucked into boots... so now I have to find a very long cardigan to go with those and the new tops I got, LOL! Need another trip to NR...

Great finds! I love NR. Usually once it gets to super clearance, I have a hard time finding anything I like/want, so glad you found a lot of stuff!

pastrygirl
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Great finds! I love NR. Usually once it gets to super clearance, I have a hard time finding anything I like/want, so glad you found a lot of stuff!Normally I would've walked away from those racks, but I set out to try on tops that are different from my usual style. Especially after reading the YLF blog a few days ago about how to camouflage muffin top. I love every single top I got!