PDA

View Full Version : what to wear: Korean business meeting

hillview
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I am meeting with 8 senior executives from Korea this week. The meeting is in the US and we will have an interpreter. We will have a US senior executive as well. This is a meeting with a client (vs my company) from Korea. I am a somewhat senior executive -- I and a peer also attending are the most senior level folks from our company in the meeting.

WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? I have read this:
http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultural_etiquette/ce_kr.htm

So is it a black skirt suit? Dress? HELP ME. Can I wear a DVF wrap dress with a top under it (so it isn't too flashy on the boobs) to dinner and a black skirt suit to the meeting? HELP

OOPS Mods in my rush to post this I didn't put it in the momwear forum, feel free to move. thanks and sorry!

Thanks!
/hillary

MommyofAmaya
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm certainly not an expert in the subject, but I have a good friend who always looks like a million bucks. Despite a moderate income, she still has most of her work attire custom-made in Korea. Taking my cues from her, I would wear a feminine business suit (skirt not pants) but not necessarily in black. I think a wrap dress would be fine for dinner, as long as it is very modest.

ETA: Oh, I forgot, definitely pantyhose (hmmm.. I need to go find the "words that get under your skin" thread and add that one for sure)

hellokitty
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I'd wear something that looks expensive. In Korea, looks and the appearance of having $ matter a LOT.

rolypoly27
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Agree with MommyofAmaya. A skirt suit would look very professional and feminine for the meeting, and a wrap dress sounds fine for dinner. I wouldn't wear anything over-the-top or extravagant. I think looking modest and professional with a feminine touch is key.

elektra
10-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not an expert but DH works for a Korean company and I would say, if anything, err on the side of being more formal.
I would wear a suit with a skirt.
The link you posted seems really detailed and a lot of that stuff is probably not relevant to business in the US, for instance, I really don't think you need to worry about passing stuff with your left vs. right hands!

Addressing by the last names is common though. So they use Mr. SoandSo instead of first names, even in situations where you might expect a first name to be used per American business standards. (Again, just err on the side of being more formal.)

Also, I remember when "Madame Chung" was coming from Korea to visit the US office, and DH said that everyone (including some senior people) were scrambling around, ordering flowers, and trying to make the office look extra nice. They brought in some specific tea set and had furniture staged even. I guess the appearances were very important.

eagle
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
read the link on korean manners and read this:

"Do not give: expensive gifts (Koreans will feel obligated
to reciprocate with a gift of equal value), knives or scissors (they
signify "cutting off" a relationship), green headwear, gifts with red
writing (denotes death) or gifts in a set of four (denotes death). "

i have NO idea what they are talking about wrt "green headware".

weird. i would venture to say that most koreans would probably be as offended by a gift of a packers baseball cap as any random american.

unless youre from chicago.

eagle
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
oh, but the knives, red writing and number four things are true. no knives as gifts, never write NAMES in red ink. if you give a tea set with four tea cups, however, im inclined to think most people might not think twice about it. but four is a bad luck number.

elektra
10-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Yes, leave that green hat you were going to wear at home too. :ROTFLMAO:

jerigirl
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Hilary do you have your song ready ?? :hysterical:

hellokitty
10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
read the link on korean manners and read this:

"Do not give: expensive gifts (Koreans will feel obligated
to reciprocate with a gift of equal value), knives or scissors (they
signify "cutting off" a relationship), green headwear, gifts with red
writing (denotes death) or gifts in a set of four (denotes death). "

weird. i would venture to say that most koreans would probably be as offended by a gift of a packers baseball cap as any random american.

unless youre from chicago.

I don't think you can go wrong with an expensive gift. I think they would be more offended if you gave them a gift that they perceived as being cheap, since korean society tends to be very materialistic. My korean mil has complained numerous times if ppl gave her a gift that she thought was not good enough and on the opposite spectrum, if she received a gift that she thought was expensive, it would result in a high opinion of the gift giver. If you give a gift, it needs to be an expensive name brand, name brands are extremely important.

Oh and formal use of titles and greetings is very important. It's very confusing, so if you have someone in your company who can coach you through it, that would be very helpful.

hillview
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Hilary do you have your song ready ?? :hysterical:

Yeah that is SO scary! My colleague and I have been searching for songs all day.

Thanks all! My 2 black suits are too big for me but I will be wearing them.

kara97210
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I've never been to Korea, but used to travel to China and Japan frequently for work and would definitely say a dark business suit with a skirt. I think a dress with a jacket would be fine for dinner, but for the meeting itself I would be overly conservative.

I never had to come up with a song, but one time I did have to take off my shoes and put on a pair of slippers for a presentation. I was not expecting this and felt like an idiot standing in front of a room of people presenting in slippers.

sweetsue98
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
You can never go wrong with a black/dark skirt suit!

inmypjs
10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't have any ideas for your question but wanted to share that in my area, there is a company that specializes in norms/etiquette in business, especially international relations. They do group and individual training, consulting, etc. If there is something like that in your area maybe you could consult with them?

arivecchi
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM

unless youre from chicago.totally OT, but are you referring to the football team from green bay, WI? ;)

elizabethkott
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah that is SO scary! My colleague and I have been searching for songs all day.

I'd like to suggest this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4

I think it would go over really well in any professional setting. Especially with a colleague to assist.

eagle
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
totally OT, but are you referring to the football team from green bay, WI? ;)

yes, of course. those baseball caps are definitely green headwear, are they not? any big bears fan would be offended to get one im sure.

arivecchi
10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
yes, of course. those baseball caps are definitely green headwear, are they not? any big bears fan would be offended to get one im sure.Oh LOL. I get it now.

BayGirl2
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I used to work closely with Korean suppliers, both in Korea and in the US. when I went there I wore a suit, usually with a skirt. When thay came here I wore whatever was appropriate for our office, which was high tech business casual. If you are in a sales situation you should err on the more formal side, of course. If they are visiting here I think following specific Korean customs is less expected, while showing the appropriate level of respect, of course. most Koreans I worked with are fairly modern and comfortable working outside the old traditions.

You should start out on the more formal side but don't be surprised if they are more expecting an American-style approach, especially as the relationship evolves.

elektra
10-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, I just have to update, as I mentioned this post to DH. He said that you actually do usually hand things over with your right hand! Usually a business card, or occasionally a gift. And then you put your left hand on your chest- he said it's pretty subtle though, and almost natural- like you are holding your tie down as you lean slightly over to hand over your business card.
He said the hierarchy thing is really important too, so you should not seat their assistant at a head position when you are in the meeting.
He said not to bow! Maybe a slight head nod. He said he has seen bowing but only in Korea or between Koreans when meeting in the US.

But back to your wardrobe question, I think you would look great in your skirt suit and a nice blouse.
Did you get a straight iron yet? I would say straight ironed, nice and neat hair too. :)

BayGirl2
10-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok, I just have to update, as I mentioned this post to DH. He said that you actually do usually hand things over with your right hand! Usually a business card, or occasionally a gift. And then you put your left hand on your chest- he said it's pretty subtle though, and almost natural- like you are holding your tie down as you lean slightly over to hand over your business card.
He said the hierarchy thing is really important too, so you should not seat their assistant at a head position when you are in the meeting.
He said not to bow! Maybe a slight head nod. He said he has seen bowing but only in Korea or between Koreans when meeting in the US.

But back to your wardrobe question, I think you would look great in your skirt suit and a nice blouse.
Did you get a straight iron yet? I would say straight ironed, nice and neat hair too. :)

Oh yes, I remember that now. As you hand something with the right hand you kind of gesture with your left hand at your right elbow or chest. It is subtle.

Generally in Asia you hold a business card in both hands and facing them when presenting it to someone. I believe that applies in Korea too. I generally follow it with everyone as it seems a more formal way of introducing yourself.

And I agree, bowing would look awkward from a non-Korean.

elektra
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh yes, I remember that now. As you hand something with the right hand you kind of gesture with your left hand at your right elbow or chest. It is subtle.

Generally in Asia you hold a business card in both hands and facing them when presenting it to someone. I believe that applies in Korea too. I generally follow it with everyone as it seems a more formal way of introducing yourself.

And I agree, bowing would look awkward from a non-Korean.

Yep, he said there is also something where you put your left hand on your forearm. And you know what, he was showing me the whole routine and I think he did hand it over to me with both hands first, and then after that he shifted his left hand to his forearm. He said you could do forearm or chest.

He said it probably wasn't a big deal if you didn't do all this perfectly though. It's more about being formal, and you wouldn't just fling the card across the table, he said.

hillview
10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok you guys are great! Thanks so much. I didn't pack my flat iron but did put some junk in it so it is somewhat smooth. I took my RED COAT from anthro (HOPE that isn't a faux pas). Thanks again!!

hellokitty
10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah, the hand thing is a big deal. DH said it's considered disrespectful to hand something with only one hand, like if your pour a drink, use two hands (left hand holding wrist/forearm of right hand) or if you give them a business card, etc.. In fact, I noticed yesterday at the korean store that the shop owner ALWAYS hands me my credit card this way.