PDA

View Full Version : Random recommendation request...Anyone have a chain saw they love?

TwinFoxes
10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
DH has been wanting a chain saw for awhile. This may be his lucky year! Does anyone have a model, or even brand of chainsaw they like? I have no idea what he plans to use it on, I'm guessing any downed limbs this winter. I'd prefer something easy to use, with lots of safety features, DH is a klutz.

elektra
10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I will have to ask DH- he has tons of tool!
I think he got an electric one recently. I remember because he was saying how gas powered is usually the way to go but for the specific project he was needing it for (can't remember) he thought that the electric one was a better and cheaper choice.

JoyNChrist
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
We have had good luck with our Husqvarna (sp? the orange ones) chainsaws.

TwinFoxes
10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Great, thanks! I think gas might be better for us, because our backyard is big and terraced, and if DH had to cut something (though goodness knows what) up on the top, an electric one would kind of suck I think.

marie
10-17-2011, 02:52 PM
We have had good luck with our Husqvarna (sp? the orange ones) chainsaws.

:yeahthat:

And I HIGHLY recommend chainsaw chaps and helmet with eye/ear protection.

Like the guy in Figure 1 is wearing:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae1025w.htm

artvandalay
10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Every so often DH rents a chainsaw from Home Depot. They give him goggles, some sort of protection clothing thing that goes over his pants, and maybe even a hard hat (not sure, he might use his own).

Just wanted to throw this out there in case you didn't know you could rent.

TwinFoxes
10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
:yeahthat:

And I HIGHLY recommend chainsaw chaps and helmet with eye/ear protection.

Like the guy in Figure 1 is wearing:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae1025w.htm

Seriously, the things I learn on BBB! I can guarantee you I've never heard the phrase "chainsaw chaps" before. Thanks for the link!

Every so often DH rents a chainsaw from Home Depot. They give him goggles, some sort of protection clothing thing that goes over his pants, and maybe even a hard hat (not sure, he might use his own).

Just wanted to throw this out there in case you didn't know you could rent.

Yes, but then I would still be desperately trying to figure out what to get DH for Christmas! ;)

Babymakes3
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
We have a Poulan (ours is purple/green and I can't find it on any websites but we've had it for like 4 years) and DH loves it!

edit: I just asked asked DH and he said it's a Poulan Wild Thing! LOL

mommylamb
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Seriously, the things I learn on BBB! I can guarantee you I've never heard the phrase "chainsaw chaps" before. Thanks for the link!

:rotflmao:Chainsaw chaps makes me think of the Village People somehow.

MamaKath
10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Start researching places to sharpen the blade if he is going to use it alot. We found someone through a friend who was way cheaper than replacing the blades altogether.

caleymama
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
DH just replaced/upgraded his and he went with a Husqvarna - I believe the model is the 450. He spends a lot of time cutting & splitting wood for firewood for us and he's been positively giddy about how great this new chainsaw is. He said it's like night and day in terms of ease of use. I forget what his older one is, but he's been raving about how fantastic this Husqvarna is. He does wear hearing and eye protection as well as gloves, but maybe I'll have to get him some chainsaw chaps (can't believe I've never heard of those before!).

BillK
10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna if you want a chainsaw that'll last forever.

kep
10-17-2011, 10:03 PM
You just never know what you are going to come across on the BBB. :rotflmao: Look, honey! We're discussing chainsaws on my Mommy Board! Lol.

I think we have a Stihl, and my DH loves it.