PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay DD for helping me?

randomkid
10-17-2011, 04:09 PM
I did a consignment sale last week and, in the past, I've always had a struggle with getting DD to try on her clothes (to see what is too small) and she never wants to part with any toys. This time, I promised her a cut if she'd help. She was excellent! She tried on clothes without complaining (mostly) and actually picked out a few toys/books/etc to sell - not as many as I would have liked, but it's a start. She helped me tag a little bit - maybe 30 minutes or so, but was a HUGE help the day of the sale and at pickup. She helped me load the van, take everything in, then at pick up, she was awesome at helping me find stuff and load it up. Usually, they have everything sorted, but this sale they had a lot more than usual and there was a double booking. They had to get out of the space, so they just started moving everything out of the building. I would hand DD a few things, she'd run to put them in our bin then come back for more. She even found some items that I had missed! It would have taken me twice as long both at drop off and pick up and I wouldn't have found as much as we did without her help. BTW, nobody else in the family helped at all.

So, for a 6.5yo, how much do you think she deserves?

maylips
10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Do you already pay her for helping around the house? If so, I'd go with a percentage of how much she helped compared to what you pay her (for example, if currently pay her $5 for doing some things and you think she did 50% more work than that, comparably, then $7.50. Or if it was twice as much work, $10).

Another option is to give her a cut of the profits you made. Maybe 10% of what you got?

My child isn't that old yet so I'm shooting from the hip here.

sntm
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Start cheap! Kids often get excited at $1 for something. Don't price yourself out ;) Maybe $2/hour?

justlearning
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Have you promised to pay her before for other tasks? If so, I'd go with a similar amount. Or do you already pay her an allowance? If so, how about an extra week's? Or what about giving her an option--I can give you $5 (or whatever amount) or I can take you to a fun place? (I always value fun experiences with my kids, so I'd be willing to pay a good deal more for the fun experience instead of paying them cash.)

I can't give you BTDT advice regarding how much to pay because I've never paid my sons (5 and 8) to help me with something. I did have them try on a ton of clothes recently and go through all their toys (they got rid of lots) and help me at our yard sale, but I didn't pay them anything for that. I expect them to help me as members of our family, and I shower them with praise when they go above and beyond and have great attitudes. Until now, they've been happy with that.

MamaMolly
10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I give Lula $1 per chore, so for example when she helps with laundry (sorting, folding, taking to rooms, etc).

When we did a big yard sale it was to buy her new bedroom furniture, so she was HIGHLY motivated to get rid of a lot of toys and clothes, so she got about 50% of the money.

crl
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd say enough to buy something fun. Maybe $5-10?

When I had ds go through his toys for a garage sale, I told him I would buy him a Thomas train he had been wanting with the proceeds.

Catherine

crayonblue
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I did a consignment sale last week and, in the past, I've always had a struggle with getting DD to try on her clothes (to see what is too small) and she never wants to part with any toys. This time, I promised her a cut if she'd help. She was excellent! She tried on clothes without complaining (mostly) and actually picked out a few toys/books/etc to sell - not as many as I would have liked, but it's a start. She helped me tag a little bit - maybe 30 minutes or so, but was a HUGE help the day of the sale and at pickup. She helped me load the van, take everything in, then at pick up, she was awesome at helping me find stuff and load it up. Usually, they have everything sorted, but this sale they had a lot more than usual and there was a double booking. They had to get out of the space, so they just started moving everything out of the building. I would hand DD a few things, she'd run to put them in our bin then come back for more. She even found some items that I had missed! It would have taken me twice as long both at drop off and pick up and I wouldn't have found as much as we did without her help. BTW, nobody else in the family helped at all.

So, for a 6.5yo, how much do you think she deserves?

I would give her $10 or so and really stress how helpful she was and how much I appreciated all that she did. We all like big bonuses so she will too! :)

randomkid
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I would give her $10 or so and really stress how helpful she was and how much I appreciated all that she did. We all like big bonuses so she will too! :)

This is more how I was thinking about it. She doesn't get an allowance. DD does chores as any other member of the family. In this house, everyone's allowance is clean clothes, fresh food in the house, homecooked meals, paid bills, etc. all of which I do. In return, I expect them to help out with chores. I've never given DD an allowance because money has not really been a motivator to her until recently. I'm still thinking about how to give an allowance and not tie it to chores. I have read to do that, but it seems like it would be difficult to get the point across. If she doesn't do her chores, does she still get allowance? If not, then it is tied to chores, yes? Anyhow, I digress - that's a whole other thread!

I figured I get extra money for selling her stuff, she helped so she should get extra money as well. Nobody else is getting money because they didn't help me. I don't want to do an activity because I want her to start learning responsibility with money. You do extra work, you get extra money, you spend it, save it, etc. I don't consider a consignment sale a typical chore. When DSDs where about DD's age, I used to do garage sales. They would help and they would get paid depending on how much they worked.

So, I had an amount in mind, but wanted to get some opinions here first. With this info, I will wait to see what you guys might say before I say what I was thinking. I want DD to be able to do something fairly nice for herself with her own money. And, she definitely worked for it. It was hot here and we were both sweating loading up that van!

crl
10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
It would depend a bit on what I thought she was going to spend it on. I'd say $10. But if you know she really wants something that costs $12, I would go with $12. It might also make a difference how much you made in the sale. If you made $200 I might be more inclined to go with $15 or even $20.

Catherine