PDA

View Full Version : Help - do I donate or not?

turtledove
10-17-2011, 07:29 PM
We recently had some family come visit us for a week and a half and we bought several things for the kids to eat while here. They are extremely picky eaters and for the most part we do not eat the same things (too sugary, low nutritional value). Now that they are gone, we have some unopened items that we will never eat/consume. My MOMS club is doing a food drive for the local food bank. I can't decide if it is worse to throw away the food, or donate something with little to no nutritional value. The items I'm talking about are Fruity Pebbles, a case of Diet Coke, a case of Sunny D, and about 90 not frozen Fla-Vor-Ice pops (there are other items I plan on donating that I have no problem with, we just don't eat them). Neither option is sitting well with me, so I figured I would come to the BBB for opinions.

My playgroup is also planning on donating a grocery gift card regardless, this would just be extra donations.

TIA!!

mytwosons
10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Donate.

I was dropping off some food at our local pantry when I saw a woman walking out with pudding cups. When someone else there to pick up food complained that they weren't getting pudding cups, the worker told her the woman had a child w/a bday and the pudding cups were going to be used as the treat at school. Now, I would have never considered donating pudding cups, since they aren't healthy (OK, some calcium), but after hearing what they would be used for, I thought it was wonderful someone did donate them.

LMPC
10-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd donate them rather than toss them since you already have them. But if I was buying something for the food drive, these are not the foods I would choose to donate. Hope that makes sense!

liz
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
yes, donate them. I remember a recent thread about food pantries. It was a reminder that people going through hard times financially would like to have treats too, but can't necessarily afford them. I could totally imagine some little kid loving those pops or that sugary cereal.

khm
10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
yes, donate them. I remember a recent thread about food pantries. It was a reminder that people going through hard times financially would like to have treats too, but can't necessarily afford them. I could totally imagine some little kid loving those pops or that sugary cereal.

:yeahthat:

elephantmeg
10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I would donate without hesitation

elbenn
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Definitely donate.

kara97210
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Another vote to donate.

MamaKath
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Donate.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I would donate without hesitation

i personally don't see what the big problem would be donating it. if someone gave me a case of Diet Coke for free, i'd be a happy camper! :)

kerridean
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Donate! If I ever fall on hard times, I would happily eat everything on your list. Ha, who am I kidding, I would eat everything on that list NOW!:).

jenstring95
10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Actually, my first thought would be to return the stuff if you still have the receipt. If not, donate. Unhealthy food is still better than no food at all.

nfceagles
10-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Donate. I'd rather eat Fruity Pebbles than starve! Hell, I'd rather eat Fruity Pebbles than most of the food I make my family eat.

Raewyn
10-17-2011, 10:14 PM