PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Umbrella for 4 yo in DC area?

lotsoffamilyfun
10-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Just moved to the DC area with our 4 yo. He can walk a long way, but we can walk a lot further and faster, so we're looking for something to help him enjoy our longer adventures where we take public transport. We have a BOB Revolution for running and non-public transport stuff, but I'm looking for a stroller I can take on the bus/metro (we've worn through the seat on our old Chicco). We are seeking something that will last another couple of years (he's about 40" and 35lbs now). Would prefer to stay under $200, but don't let that limit your suggestions...

Other important factors:
-handle height - DH is 6'2" (I'm 5'5")
-decent ride - we'll be on some not so well maintained paths and sidewalks, but I'm also realistic about reasonable umbrella stroller performance
-rear frame - with my husband's height, kicking the frame is annoying to him
-canopy - prefer good sun protection, as we spend LOTS of time outside
-weight - clearly less is better, although I'm willing to carry a bit heavier stroller if necessary to get better overall performance
-frills - don't need a lot of the features/accessories that are targeted at infants and young toddlers (boots, blankets, snack trays, etc.)

My current list (in no particular order) is below. Please chime in and help me narrow it down!

Bumbleride Flite
Uppababy G-luxe
Britax B-Nimble
Maclaren Triumph
Maclaren Quest
Maclaren Techno XT
Joovy Kooper
Joovy Groove

crl
10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd add a Cybex onyx to your list. Very high handles, bigger wheels than most umbrellas plus suspension so better for uneven sidewalks and so on, plus one of the best canopies I've ever seen on an umbrella (the canopy was big on the 2009 but sometime after that they also made it height adjustable). It is also pretty plush and comfortable. Not so important for a 4 year old, but it has a full recline--and the easiest recline mechanism I have ever seen on a stroller, plus leg rests.

The big downside is the weight. It is definitely on the heavy side for an umbrella. And I got mine on clearance on Overstock so I am not really sure where they are as far as price point. I think the weight limit may be 44 pounds, but I'd double check that and I also thinknit is pretty sturdy for an umbrella and is not going to implode if you go over the weight limit a bit.

Catherine

crl
10-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh, you might also check out the MacLaren Starck. I don't know a ton about it, but people here have found it on clearance for $60 and it sounds like a really nice umbrella for the money.

Catherine

Kaylee31
10-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd also suggest looking at the Micralite Fastfold Superlite. I love mine. 14 lbs., standing fold, and has rear air tires so it pushes better than most other umbrellas. You would need an aftermarket canopy extender for it since the canopy is skimpy, but you can find those for under $20. The Superlite retails for $250+, but I see them for much less on Ebay sometimes. There is also someone selling one on Stroller Swap for $150.
Here is the Baby Gizmo video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wiOdk6OPSw
I also recently bought a G-Luxe, which I really like and it has a huge canopy. My 2 yr. old has about the same amount of room in both. But I would much prefer the Superlite if I had to choose one.

spannaz
10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh, you might also check out the MacLaren Starck. I don't know a ton about it, but people here have found it on clearance for $60 and it sounds like a really nice umbrella for the money.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

The Starck is great for older kids and is just so cool/unique looking. And everyone here raves about the shelf instead of a basket.

Let us know what you decide to get and how it does with your 4yo.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaylee31
10-17-2011, 11:54 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: I always forget about the Starck! Looks awesome, and is a steal for the price ($65 shipped & includes a raincover & travel bag). Plus the handle height seems great for a tall person, and it has a big canopy (which they don't show in stock pics).
MM did a great review of it: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=390033
Albee only has one color left in stock though.
http://www.albeebaby.com/mastbustinne.html

roseyloxs
10-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Great suggestions. I would go with the starck for bare bones or the cybex oynx for a few upgrades.

legaleagle
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Lots of good suggestions from everyone. Given your DH's and son's stats, I'd also vote for the onyx. My 3 year old is almost exactly that size and fits perfectly in our callisto. He also fits great in the g-luxe. Personally, with the blazing sun around here, I definitely prioritize canopy size. Not sure where you are in the area, but the nicest baby stores around here are Great Beginnings in Gaithersburg (very large selection), Babies 1st in Columbia (has the cybexes and large rotating selection), Buy Buy Baby in Rockville/Springfield, and Baby Blossom in Fairfax.

lowrioh
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Lots of good suggestions from everyone. Given your DH's and son's stats, I'd also vote for the onyx. My 3 year old is almost exactly that size and fits perfectly in our callisto. He also fits great in the g-luxe. Personally, with the blazing sun around here, I definitely prioritize canopy size. Not sure where you are in the area, but the nicest baby stores around here are Great Beginnings in Gaithersburg (very large selection), Babies 1st in Columbia (has the cybexes and large rotating selection), Buy Buy Baby in Rockville/Springfield, and Baby Blossom in Fairfax.

The Babies R Us on Cherry Hill Road in Silver Spring has the Onyx on display.
We just got one for our giant 3 year old (41 in 43 lbs) and I couldn't be happier. The push is excellent and the handles are nice and high. Weight limit is 55 pounds. DH is 6'6ish and doesn't have to stoop at all and hasn't kicked the wheels yet. I haven't taken it on Metro but I've taken it to our farmer's market and for walks around the block and it handles really well.

lotsoffamilyfun
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. Now I've got to spend some time checking all of them out. I may be back with more questions... Thanks for the retailer suggestions too. We're in NOVA (Alexandria) and I love that my stroller will get used 200x more often than my car! Thanks again!

legaleagle
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
The Babies R Us on Cherry Hill Road in Silver Spring has the Onyx on display.

Oh, yes, forgot about this since I despise BRU! I believe you can search their website to see if another one closer to you has it as well.

MamaBear
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat:

My very tall 5 year old even fits in mine! (He just turned 5 and is about 115cm.) I wouldn't ever choose it as an one-and-only stroller, but I love it for times when I want to not take up much trunk space (think Costco runs and pick-ups/drop-offs at the airport) or need to be able to fold it at our destination. At $60, it was a steal!

PGTB
10-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Will you need the stroller so that your DS could just have a place to rest after he gets tired walking, or will you actually be pushing DS most of the time in the stroller instead of him walking? If DS will walk a lot, then you will end up pushing the empty stroller most of the time, so I don't know if it's important to have a full featured and heavy umbrella like Onyx. I personally would prefer something bare bones with the lightest weight, something you can fold and pull behind you or even carry on your shoulder. My DS is 18 months and sometimes I just want to get something tiny and light, to make our PT use easier given that DS loves to walk. I am stuck with more full featured strollers though because he takes a long nap and in general spends lots of time in the stroller as we walk for hours.

LivsMum
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
What about the Mamas and Papa's Trip, at BRU?

Like OP, I too am looking for a lightweight stroller - mainly for the car. My little guy is only 14 months old though.

lotsoffamilyfun
10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I think it will be the Onyx vs the G-luxe or Starck (features and ride vs. lightweight.) We're going on an adventure to look at the Onyx and G-luxe this weekend. I'll let you know what we pick - thanks for the input! (Feel free to add other thoughts if you have them.)

lotsoffamilyfun
10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
OP here. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't think my first version went through. We went on our stroller odyssey yesterday. I was a bit surprised but what I found, and now I really don't know what to get!

Cybex Onyx - great stroller. Very robust. Fits my son (4 y/o, 34lbs, 40") great in the seat. Excellent canopy. Excellent tall handles. Two drawbacks:

1. The foot rest for his feet is pretty far under the seat. It was kind of hard for him to get his feet on there and get them to stay (plus, Dad hates is when my son's feet hit the wheels.) As a point of reference, the Maclaren Triumph's foot rest was significantly further out in front, but I definitely like the Onyx much better overall.

2. The fold is not very compact - I knew it would be a fairly large umbrella, but I was surprised that the plastic lock piece was so long. They could have made it 1/2-2/3 as long to get a tighter fold. As a result, I'd probably keep a bungee with me to make it more convenient for metro/bus trips. FWIW, the Triumph has the same problem, it's just a smaller stroller.

Uppababy G-luxe: Same problem as #1 above, only worse. The footrest is actually under the seat when you fold the end down for sitting. Pretty much unusable.

Uppababy G-lite: Because the G-luxe was a no go, we looked at the G-lite (we don't need recline). Much better foot rest, but questionable whether we could really push a 4-5 year old, particularly once he nears 40lbs, on a city sidewalk. The wheels (and maybe the frame) just didn't seem up to it. Also, everytime we folded it, the mesh got stuck in the lock.

Sooooooooo, now what? I've looked that Starck online and it is still in the running. But I have a few more questions - hopefully someone can help me!

1. Can anyone else comment on the footrest position of a Onyx for a taller child? Any issues?

2. G-luxe - was I just dreaming or looking at a bad product - does the footrest really sit that far back under the seat? Can someone with actually experience with a tall child comment?

4. G-lite - can anyone comment on handling with a bigger kid?

3. Starck -
a. Can anyone comment on the foot rest there for a taller child? It's hard to tell from the photos I can find.
b. Also, can someone give me a sense for what size/type of wheels it has? Just trying to determine what to expect from the handling on sidewalks with a big kid compared to the G-lite, G-luxe, Onyx, Triumph, or Volo (I know Onyx will likely be best, but I'm trying to trade off size vs. handling.)

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you always seem to come through with such great answers. Thanks so much for all of your help!

lotsoffamilyfun
11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
For those of you looking to make a decision similar to mine, here's the end of the story. We ended up with a Cybex Onyx. It performed very well in it's first few outings. The first trips were easy - the Marine Corps Marathon expo via Metro. Stroller rode great on nice sidewalks in the rain and inside on concrete and carpet. I did make a simple strap with webbing and a fast-tex buckle to keep the fold tighter. It was useful in preventing me from whacking other metro riders and it made the shoulder strap effectively shorter, making it easy for me to carry.

The 3rd outing was the real test - spectating at the Marine Corps marathon. I must say, the Onyx performed admirably. Sure I would have loved the BOB for when we were racing across the National mall, which, because it had rained/snowed the day before, was a swampy mess, but the Onyx handled it very well (and I didn't even take the time to lock the front wheels.) I walked/jogged ~10 miles through mud, huge puddles, crumbling streets/sidewalks, crushed rock paths, over HUGE curbs and didn't have a problem. And yes, a 35lb, 40" 4 year old was my passenger. He loved the sun shield (fell asleep when I pulled it down, seat upright, and it kept him a bit warmer in the chilly morning.) Despite our concerns about the footrest, it seems to work okay and his feet don't slip off and hit the wheels. We took 4 metro trips - sure it's a bit weighty but totally worth it for the terrain I described above. Love the high handles and their comfortable design. It is annoying that the seat extension pops up every time you fold it up, but I can teach my son to put it down and I would rather have the more compact fold (which they could also improve.) Thanks for putting this one on my radar screen - we are very pleased with the purchase!

I did look at a Mamma's and Pappa's Cruise, since it was on sale a BRU. Liked it a lot but the fram did not seem quite as robust as the Onyx (thus harder to maneuver with a larger child). Bigger wheels and tighter fold were both attractive. The handles were tall, but the angle on the Onyx was more comfortable. And I don't like that combo kind of buckle.

I also looked at the new 2011 Joovy Groove. I LOVED it. But the footrest was a bit of a deal breaker for my husband (he HATES feet on wheels, and the foot strap was pretty far under the seat.) The wheels are big and beefy, the construction is very solid, canopy has a good extension (not quite as good as the G-luxe or Onyx, but good), good seat width and height for bigger kids. I found it at a Buy Buy Baby store in NC, which seemed to be the only place other than direct form Joovy that I could find it, online or otherwise. I would have probably chosen it over the Onyx, but DH is good at pushing, so I went with the consensus.

I might still add a really lightweight option (or a Starck) to the collection, but for now we are happy. Thanks for all of your help.

Kaylee31
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Glad you found something that works so well for you! Thanks for sharing. The Cybexes seem like super solid umbrellas.

legaleagle
11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a great choice for you! I've had my callisto for 1.5 years and it's still in perfect shape!