PDA

View Full Version : holiday photo book making club--week 1

larig
10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure how to organize this, but I suppose I'm going to do one thread a week for the next 6 weeks and try to get this monkey off my back by end of November.

Blurb just had a deal that ends at the end of this month that is 25%, but I don't think I can pull it off in 2 weeks. 6 weeks sounds much more reasonable. Hopefully they'll have that 20% off sale they did last year.

Here's my overall plan.

week 1--24 & 25 mos
week 2--26 & 27 mos
week 3, and so on...

Each week I will have to take the collected pictures for each month (the one thing I've stayed on top of) and go through and pick out my favorites. Then I"ll create the pages.

How about you guys, do you have any strategy? I'll report back later this week and let you know how I did.

Trigglet
10-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Well, you're more organised, mentally, than I am! I'm still trying to get my head round what period of time I should be trying to include in each book - birthday to birthday, calendar year, up to this month?. I suppose one year per book makes the most sense, but we took sooooooo many photos when DS was first in the world, and now we take far fewer, so I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I think your timescale of late Nov is a good one. I have a groupon that I need to use, but will probably also be on the lookout for other offers over the next few weeks.

larig
10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Well, you're more organised, mentally, than I am! I'm still trying to get my head round what period of time I should be trying to include in each book - birthday to birthday, calendar year, up to this month?. I suppose one year per book makes the most sense, but we took sooooooo many photos when DS was first in the world, and now we take far fewer, so I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I think your timescale of late Nov is a good one. I have a groupon that I need to use, but will probably also be on the lookout for other offers over the next few weeks.

If it's any help--DS's bday is june, so I go birthday to birthday. That way I'm not rushing around trying to squeeze last minute seasonal shots. This year I'll start with his 2nd birthday and do up to, but not including birthday pictures for his 3rd birthday celebration.

larig
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Okay, I just set up my book in blurb's desktop app. I need to change a bunch of fonts, because I'm picky. I picked a bunch of layouts for pages and pulled up iPhoto library in and started working through my first month of the year. Sadly DS's 24th month I have THREE HUNDRED pictures to examine, clean up, and put in a book. WHY do I take so many pictures!?

I need to be careful and mark the best ones, because I will try to take some of those and use them for a calendar for the grands too. I always do my calendar though iPhoto, because they are gorgeous and it already knows the birthdays I'd add.

After this it's time to think about cards.

How's everyone else doing? Anyone starting yet?

larig
10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I forgot to add, Blurb now will have books that are compatible with ibooks. So you make your regular book and then you can buy a 1.99 digital copy to share with people who maybe you don't want to send a $50 book to. I bought digital copies of the two books I've made in the past two years and they look great on DH's iPad.