PDA

View Full Version : MA Moms, I did it -

Twoboos
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I went to Wegman's! :yay:

I was hoping 10am on a Tuesday would be less insane. It was barely less insane. I heard they are not expecting it to calm down until after the holidays.

Tried to get a feel for the layout of the store, and their selection. Bought a couple of things (plus got my free eggs and loaf of bread w/coupon). I have had the envelope with my store card and coupons for Basting Oil and a reusable bag sitting around for weeks... could NOT find it today, and I must not have put in my phone number when I registered (duh!!) b/c they couldn't find me using home or cell #'s. They were very nice about it and called for a manager, but it was busy and I felt bad so I said I would continue to look and come back again (of course!!).

Should be a fun place!! The smell from the cafe was delicious!!

I still say we need a BBB meetup there. :wavey:

TwoBees
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The basting oil is soooooo good!

Twoboos
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The basting oil is soooooo good!

Don't taunt me!!! :tongue5:

wencit
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I still say we need a BBB meetup there. :wavey:I'm game!

They don't expect it to die down for another 2 months?! Wow, that is crazy. I thought I was being patient by waiting until next week! I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!

So what did you end up getting?

FTMLuc
10-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I am definitely game for a meetup if it is on a weekend.

I have actually never heard of Wegmans until they mentioned the opening on the news, will need to explore.

hillview
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
What is WEGMANS??

TwoBees
10-18-2011, 01:02 PM
What is WEGMANS??

Only the absolutely, positively, greatest grocery store on earth. :love-retry:

Twoboos
10-18-2011, 01:07 PM
What is WEGMANS??

Newest grocery store in MA, and the largest grocery store in NE!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/29484507/detail.html

catsnkid
10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
One of my FB friends just went there and she loved it. A bit far for me to make a special trip!

Mikey0709
10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Ok - I'm probably one of the only people who aren't too hot on Wegmans. They do offer great deals and coupons when they first open - usually 2 free items per week w/$10 purchase. Then it goes down to 1 free item per week.... but you soon learn they don't carry ALOT of major brands - just their Wegmans brand. And most of their sale ad is wegman branded stuff only on sale.

I'm in Pennsylvania and we've had them for awhile - - but what really bummed me out was that becuase of them ALOT of our smaller and family grocery stores closed. Acme, Genuardi's and Giants - - where you could get a GREAT deal with coupons (or double coupons!) - - all seem to be shutting down now....which makes me sad.

In the past year we got 2 new wegmans within maybe 10 miles of each other... and another one 5 miles away opening next month.

Sorry i'm a bummer - - but I kinda have a attitude about them which alot of people had about Walmart - - closing down the little or local guy.....prices were great at first.... until you have no choice but to shop there..... now the prices seem to be increasing nonstop.

I don't know - maybe if i had an unlimited budget I would shop there more!

boolady
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
.... but you soon learn they don't carry ALOT of major brands - just their Wegmans brand. And most of their sale ad is wegman branded stuff only on sale.

Interesting-- I wonder if this is your store? I've been shopping at Wegman's for almost 10 years, and have never found that they don't carry a major brand I was looking for. The store I used to shop at, and the one I shop at now, have every major brand I can think of.

TwoBees
10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok - I'm probably one of the only people who aren't too hot on Wegmans. They do offer great deals and coupons when they first open - usually 2 free items per week w/$10 purchase. Then it goes down to 1 free item per week.... but you soon learn they don't carry ALOT of major brands - just their Wegmans brand. And most of their sale ad is wegman branded stuff only on sale.

I'm in Pennsylvania and we've had them for awhile - - but what really bummed me out was that becuase of them ALOT of our smaller and family grocery stores closed. Acme, Genuardi's and Giants - - where you could get a GREAT deal with coupons (or double coupons!) - - all seem to be shutting down now....which makes me sad.

In the past year we got 2 new wegmans within maybe 10 miles of each other... and another one 5 miles away opening next month.

Sorry i'm a bummer - - but I kinda have a attitude about them which alot of people had about Walmart - - closing down the little or local guy.....prices were great at first.... until you have no choice but to shop there..... now the prices seem to be increasing nonstop.

I don't know - maybe if i had an unlimited budget I would shop there more!

I find this interesting. I too live in Pennsylvania, and feel that our Wegmans (different than your store, I assume, based on your profile location) is very competitively priced and carries most of the major brands I want. There are a few major brands I haven't been able to find, but nothing that has bothered me too much. And I like their Wegmans brand a lot for most things. Maybe it's a location thing? Within a 5 mile radius of our Wegmans there are 2 Giants, a Genuardi's, a Shop Rite, and a Target that carries fresh groceries, so our Wegmans definitely has lots of competition. Our Wegmans also double coupons and takes most competitor coupons. They have price-matched formula to Target's price for me and then lowered their store price to that price.

pastrygirl
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I went yesterday at 10:30am... and found the same! It was packed, hard to move around, and people were blocking aisles like crazy. I kept bumping into people. It was that crowded!

I was able to get everything on my usual shopping list, but didn't really look around for more stuff. As it was, I was there for almost 2 hours! I did get my beloved Artichoke Asiago and those pop cakes that they pop right by the olive bar. So delicious. And gone already...

ErinMC
10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Jealous! We're in western MA, so I won't get there anytime soon, but DH's uncle lives in NJ and absolutely RAVES about Wegman's so I've been following the new store in the news.

dogmom
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for posting, I was just thinking, maybe I should try Wegman's today, the answer is no with the crowds and the distance from me.

wendibird22
10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Get the basting oil. We use it on everything...fish, sauteing meat (like venison steaks), for roasting veggies, grilling veggies, you name it. Just don't forget to refrigerate after opening. We've lost a few bottles by putting it in the cabinet with our EVOO, but the label says to refrigerate.

bekahjean
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Get the rosemary bread that is finished with olive oil and sea salt. Have them slice it for you. Resist the urge to eat half of it right away (unless it is still warm- you should eat some if it is still warm). Then head over to the deli counter and get some prosciutto and Swiss cheese. Go home and make the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had. It is so so good!

Cam&Clay
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I went yesterday at 10:30am... and found the same! It was packed, hard to move around, and people were blocking aisles like crazy. I kept bumping into people. It was that crowded!

:yeahthat: Ours has been open for years. I refuse to shop there because it is always a mad house. I joke that it must be a cult for people to actually want to fight those crowds.

wencit
10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
For you Wegman's aficionados, is there anything besides the artichoke asiago, pop cakes, basting oil, and rosemary bread that I should try? I'm taking notes!

Twoboos
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
For you Wegman's aficionados, is there anything besides the artichoke asiago, pop cakes, basting oil, and rosemary bread that I should try? I'm taking notes!

This list is making me want to go back TODAY!! (Especially since I found my coupon for the basting oil!)

lizzywednesday
10-19-2011, 10:27 AM

BBQ sauce (most of theirs don't have HFCS, too), kettle cooked potato chips, marinara sauce (both smooth & with meat), wheat bread ... we also get their TetraPak soups (in the carton, not the cans, though their canned soup is good too), culinary stock, pantry basics - flour, sugar, salt, etc., paper towels (not always the best deal, though), bottled water (at our store, a "case" of thirty-five 16.9oz bottles is usually around $3-$4), box mac-and-cheese (DH likes it better than Kraft!), frozen pizza, frozen veggies, single-serve fruit cups, applesauce, most cereals ... I'm not particularly brand-loyal for a lot of foods, though, because I grew up on generics.

I honestly find that their store brand is as good as or even better than the national brand for a lot of things. The fact that their plain spaghetti sauce (smooth marinara, sauce with meat, etc.) doesn't have HFCS was a godsend during my pregnancy when a lot of processed foods made me very ill as we're inclined to eat a lot of pasta because it's an easy meal.

lizzywednesday
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
This list is making me want to go back TODAY!! (Especially since I found my coupon for the basting oil!)

I make their meatloaf recipe, which calls for the basting oil and their Memphis style BBQ sauce, with their ground turkey breast. And I skip the gravy - DH doesn't like it.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=656492

boolady
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
BBQ sauce (most of theirs don't have HFCS, too),

I honestly find that their store brand is as good as or even better than the national brand for a lot of things. The fact that their plain spaghetti sauce (smooth marinara, sauce with meat, etc.) doesn't have HFCS was a godsend during my pregnancy when a lot of processed foods made me very ill as we're inclined to eat a lot of pasta because it's an easy meal.

:yeahthat: Their BBQ sauces are very good and most or all are HFCS-free. And I'll third or fourth or whatever the recommendation is for the rosemary-sea salt bread. It's fantastic...it makes great toast with an over easy egg. :)

TwoBees
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM

The garlic Tuscan bread is great, as is the whole-grain Italian loaf. I love the veggie bar too - DH doesn't eat veggies and any I buy whole for myself always go bad before I use them up. The veggie bar lets me get exactly what I want, in the amount I want, already cut and washed. It's a bit more, but definitely less than buying whole veggies and having them spoil. I buy the $0.99 bagged salad because it is a great value. I love their frozen sliced peaches. Their organic whole milk is not ulta-pasteurized. Their canned soups are good too.

boolady
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
. Their organic whole milk is not ulta-pasteurized.

YES! Excellent point-- none of their organic milk is ultra-pasteurized. We buy it almost exclusively.

TwoBees
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
YES! Excellent point-- none of their organic milk is ultra-pasteurized. We buy it almost exclusively.

I think I actually learned about this from you, from another Wegmans thread. I was SO happy when I found out! Especially since it is less expensive than the other organic milks.

wendibird22
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

The cranberry orange bread and serve it with either creme fraiche or neufchatel cheese...to die for!!

The Wegmans Triple Fruit Spreads (aka jelly) have a great variety of flavors and are pretty low in sugar for a jelly plus GF, DF, Vegan. My SIL stocks up when she comes to town. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=358473