PDA

View Full Version : Sophie the Giraffe and other MUST HAVES

Singlemom
10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
It has been 7 years since I've had a baby and I'm due with #2 March 17. Working on the registry...what are your MUST HAVES? I don't have ANYTHING baby related at all.

And Sophie the Giraffe.....is she the teething rubber thing? Or is there another Sophie out there that I'm missing out on? LOL!

Thanks!!

fedoragirl
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, Sophie is the giraffe natural rubber teether. She is very useful for those teething gums.
I know a lot of people love Aden&Anais blankets although I didn't use mine enough.
White onesies from Carters in every size are the must-haves for me.
The Cloud B sleep sheep has been used since day 1 till now.
A nursing pillow although I have a love-hate relationship with the Boppy.
I'm sure there are tons of other must-haves. Every family is different and every baby likes different things. Mine hated the swing and bouncy so we gave them away.

Singlemom
10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I had a Boppy the 1st time around and never really used it that much. I'm thinking maybe the Luna Lullaby this time..but I'm not sure. UGH! Decisions!!!!

wencit
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
My one must-have for the baby was a carrier. For me specifically, it was an Ergo, but there are some newer and beautiful carriers on the market now (Beco, Pikkolo). I don't know how I would have been able to survive without my Ergo.

karstmama
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
those medela steam bags. even if you don't pump, they're handy for nipples or paccies or what have you.

the nosefreida.

an ipod and speakers with classical & lullabies loaded on.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
oh yeah, a better carrier. I actually like Bjorns for little ones. I find them comfortable and super easy to use. But, there are so many awesome ones out now! I'd get a Moby Wrap kind of thing plus a Beco.

Beth

AnnieW625
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Love the A&A blankets, Sophie was a pretty big hit with DD2, and I love the Vulli two pack of teethers (not the mushroom ones). I also loved the Playtex nurser bottles with DD2. The Primo bath is great too, and carseat wise the Graco Snigride 35 or Chicco Keyfit 30 are suppose to be good.

rolypoly27
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Sophie was a major bust for my DD, but I've heard good things about them with other babies (just not mine). A&A blankets have been awesome. We used them for everything from swaddling to extra covering on the stroller. The Cloud b sheep or other white noise machine gets lots of use in our home. I'd also suggest adding a good carrier (ours is an Ergo), Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe booster seat (we love it so much we're getting a second one soon to leave in the car for outings), and the Leap Frog musical table, which has been a huge hit.

BabyMine
10-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Don't forget about a list for you.

Pads
Stocked fridge
Comfy pajamas that you can sweat in
Tucks pads

artvandalay
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Eh, I don't think Sophie is a must have.. it's mostly a status symbol dog squeak toy. It's cute, but it gets ignored for the most part! But there are others that love it so YMMV.

Agree with the A&A blankets, they are great for swaddling. Don't get much use here now that weather is getting colder but wonderful for summertime. I had the less expensive version from Diapers.com (I think they are a bit smaller than the expensive ones) and they worked just fine.

I loved my boppy! Also a good monitor and a swing.... although my first two absolutely loved the swing but my last hated it. What about carseat? Stroller? Will baby be born in winter? I'd get one of those Bundle Me's for the carseat carrier.. that was a huge help in cold weather. Also Halo Sleepsack swaddle blankets... Diaper Genie.

If you plan to breastfeed you can register for a manual breastpump, I liked my Avent better than my Medela one.

Hmm. I can't think of anything more but these were all helpful for me!

ETA: OK I just saw you live in FL and baby is due in March, so you can scratch the Bundle me, but you should absolutely register for the A&A blankets because you'll get great use out of them!

artvandalay
10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
the nosefreida.

:yeahthat: Oh yeah, register for this. If you want to freak out other people (especially those without kids) let them watch you while you use this.

mackmama
10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Our DC never liked Sophie. Our must-have was the Fisher Price Lamb baby swing.

MamaInMarch
10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
--my brest friend pillow

--A&A swaddle blankets

--arms reach cosleeper

--video monitor

That's all I can think of that I would consider a must have than can be purchased and does not include basics like a car seat or clothes.

anonomom
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Can't speak to A&A blankets, but I got some great Carter's swaddling blankets this time around. They're cheap as dirt (I paid $5.xx for a two-pack at the outlet), but very large, soft and stretchy. We use them constantly, though not actually for swaddling.

For swaddling, Miracle Blankets are our favorites.

We have the Fisher Price Zen swing, and it's a must-have for us. The seat detaches, so DS falls asleep in it and we can move him around without waking him up.

swissair81
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
A good bouncer or swing (I like fisher price for both)
Some kind of swaddle blankets- I like swaddledesigns and summer infant
my baby carriers- I have a pikkolo and a mei tai
Carter's undershirts and sleepers
stroller with a bassinet
a good baby nailclipper
a baby playmat with arches. i love my skip hop one.

barkley1
10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Itzbeen timer...how did I survive my first baby without it?! love it.
DS wasn't too impressed with Sophie...

Singlemom
10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh My goodness!! I am loving the input...THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES!!! I'm so overwhelmed..but this is helping for sure!!

brittone2
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
My list would be:
-My breast friend and/or Boppy (I preferred the MBF in the early weeks).
-Definitely a good carrier or two or three ;) This is one of my most-used baby items by far. (mei tei, ergo, ring sling. Lots of people love the Moby for newborns but I never enjoyed mine that much).
-Bouncer or swing. My older two weren't big on the swing but I picked up a FP papasan that went side to side for my third and he enjoyed it. Our previous swing was a Graco that just went forward/back
-If you are BFing, nursing pads, nursing tanks/bras
-swaddling blankets (I liked Miracle Blankets)
-sleep sacks
-socks, bibs, soft soled baby shoes in 6-12 or larger sizes
-nail clipper, nasal bulb syringe
-monitor
-carseat
-place for baby to sleep if you don't plan on cosleeping (we are a cosleeping family and sold our crib after baby #1 as a result)
-a few toys. I like Haba teethers
-stroller
-high chair or Tripp Trapp type chair depending on what you think you'll want.
-baby body wash. CA Baby?

artvandalay
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah, our bouncy chair was a huge help, I think it was a Fisher Price one.. it had vibration but my kids never cared about that part. I also used a pack n play. We had two, a small one that I kept in my bedroom so I could stick the baby in there while I showered (this was also good to take on vacation because it was small), and we had a larger one, but we never used it, so I CL'd it.

And someone here mentioned the FP Learn and Groove table... this was a huge hit with all 3 kids. When they were learning to pull themselves up/stand they would play with this thing. I'm actually going to be giving mine away this weekend.

I had a couple of cheaper carriers (Snugly and Jeep), but I also splurged on a Becco. Seems like they are making better, more ergonomic carriers now that don't cost an arm and a leg like the Becco, so maybe research this a bit/ask for suggestions.

kboyle
10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
i agree with pp about the medela steam bags, we used it for toys, nipples, binkies, anything that could be nuked and sterilized did!

my boys never had a sophie, but i got one for my goddaughter and at 6 mos she has been the most played with toy since about 3 mos. their dog stepped on it today when i was over and they both freaked since they had to dishwash it and wasn't sure she'd be ready in the 1hr till bedtime, lol. apparently my goddaught LOVES sophie.

i ♥ my a&a swaddlers, ds3 is 4 and still sleeps with one. we got 2 4pks and they are still in constant rotation.

like another pp said, i loved my manual pump.

i loved my babyhawk mei tai too.

TxCat
10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Another family here that didn't have much love for Sophie. I was really hoping DD would like her, but it just never took off.

My must-haves:

A&A swaddling blankets
SwaddleMe velcro swaddle blankets
SleepSack
white noise machine
video monitor
pacifiers (we liked Avent)
Tiny Love classic mobile
Tiny Love Gymini
Lamaze flower chime garden
good/safe car seat
good stroller

I really liked carriers and used them a lot until DD was around 3-4 months. Sadly, she didn't like them nearly as much as I did. :(

catsnkid
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
:yeahthat: Oh yeah, register for this. If you want to freak out other people (especially those without kids) let them watch you while you use this.

:yeahthat: That is the only thing I have seen so far that I have that was awesome. Boppies are handy. Get an extra cover.

Oh and my arm's reach cosleeper. I loved that thing. Handy on trips.

flygirl555
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
What about Wub-a-Nubs (like a beanie baby with a pacificer attached)? Several Moms said they couldn't live without them and suggested buying two of the same in case one got lost.

I also recommend the "Baby's First Year" MiSwivel chair. You can use it as early as a newborn (it has a five-point harness, reclines, attaches to a four-legged kitchen chair to avoid tipping over, and has indents in the tray for a cup or small bowl to avoid spills) and modify it as your child grows older. The liner is removable, so you can pop it in the wash and the plastic seat and base are one piece - so you can easily hose them off. The cheapest price I found was at Wal-Mart for $46. (Hint: use their site to check which stores carry it in-stock because not all stores do).

Do you have a Snap-n-Go? Lightweight and much easier than lugging a car seat around and you can find a used one on Craigslist pretty cheap.

As PP said, gift cards for takeout restaurants or delivered meals are also good because you will have minimal time to cook / eat.

smilequeen
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
My youngest son loves Sophie, seriously loves. But the mushroom shaped one just pisses him off. It's shaped like a nipple, but nothing comes out :P

A carrier is definitely a must for me or I never would have gotten a full grocery trip done. The ergo with the infant insert was my top choice this time.

A stroller that can face me and fully recline, and (will this get me booted off the board? ;)) a frame for the carseat when the baby is asleep.

The fisher price rock and play sleeper was a lifesaver this time too. Only thing he'd sleep in besides my arms. But seriously, who are they kidding with this "play" business. It's not fun, but it's a cozy inclined cocoon perfect for napping.

Definitely a nursing pillow. I totally love the boppy, but that's a personal choice thing.

Medela steam bags for sure. And I personally think lilypads rock after you get past the first few weeks.

A swing, the Fisher Price ones were awesome for all 3 of mine.

It's not a must have, but the Puj tub was great this time around.

And fwiw...my biggest waste of money. That 4Moms swing thing. He wouldn't stay in it for more than 5 minutes. And it looked so cool and cost way too much. For as popular as they are I hope other babies like them more than mine did.

zag95
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Medela steam bags
Fisher Price Swing
Fisher Price Infant to Toddler bouncer (it goes to 40 lbs and is great for a toddler seat later)
Pack n play (great esp for beach trips or staying elsewhere)
Fisher price adjustable booster (that straps to your kitchen chair)
Summer/Kiddopotomus dining mat
Sleepsacs
Carter's onsies and sleepers
Fisher price rainforest soother (has been moved from the crib and is still being used on the bookshelf at almost 3.75 yrs!!!)

mum-to-be
10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I had a Boppy the 1st time around and never really used it that much. I'm thinking maybe the Luna Lullaby this time..but I'm not sure. UGH! Decisions!!!!

I didn't use the boppy with baby #1 but used it every breastfeed with #2, and DD just weaned at 16 months. The difference was that I had a glider for #2 so the angle of the my brest friend didn't work. I used the my brest friend religiously for DS's first 6 months.

I love my glider and although $$ it was so worth it. I bought a Dutailier on clearance at TRU/BRU. Keep an eye out for them on clearance - mine came down to around $220 IIRC.

vdrake71
10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
We had our 4th child last year and this was a gift that someone bought us. It is now one of our must haves:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe-Seahorse/dp/B000W3XEQM

Our daughter sleeps with this everynight. The person who bought us also told us that their daughter sleeps with it everynight.

We also bought Sophie, but my daughter is really not interested in it.

BebeRoo
10-19-2011, 01:49 AM
We must have a baby monitor, Ergo, and a Boppy pillow in our family.

No Sophie here but our son loves the the mushroom teether with the ring.

mjs64
10-19-2011, 03:42 AM
My must-haves:
Luna Lullaby nursing pillow (not the Boppy!)--also works as a body pillow
Baby gym (I like Tiny Love Super Deluxe)
Beco Gemini carrier
Medela pump (1st hospital grade rental, then PIS)
Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher (for when we stopped BFing)
Sony BabyCall monitor
Fisher Price SnugaBunny Swing (plugs in)
Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster

Had But Didn't Need:
Sophie (meh; she's fine but not worth $25; was given to DS 2x as a gift!)
A parent-facing stroller (1st Years Wave)
Cloud B Sleep Sheep
Halo sleepsacks
Jumperoo
Fisher Price Rainforest Soother
Fisher Price Newborn Rock & Play Sleeper

Had But Completely Useless (for us):
Itzbeen timer
Manhattan toys crib mobile
Pacifiers & Wubbnub

Loved for myself:
Big pads (but not the biggest), frozen with witch hazel in advance for postpartum

Now I wish I'd gotten less, not more stuff, since all babies are different (as I'm sure you know). Now finding a place to store stuff/working to sell it is a major chore.

swissair81
10-19-2011, 03:56 AM
If you are planning on breastfeeding, consider buying a few pairs of the nursing pads called 'Soothies'. They saved me.

(As you might have noticed, these things are very individual. You should buy what works for you, not what worked for everyone else. In my case, one of my kids hated Sophie and the other needed 2 in case we lost one. I can't stand nursing pillows, so I have a Boppy hanging around my house that I only use for tummy time. All of my kids needed a fisher price bouncer- only brand that worked for us because the vibrations are super strong, except for the last one who couldn't stand it. My son hated baby carriers and refused to be worn ever, and my 14 month old would let me wear her all day every day.)

kellyd
10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
My kids all hated the bouncy and the swing... and I do mean HATED. The girls however absolutely LOVED the Fisher Price Rock N Play!!! With us I think it had them high enough off the floor that the dog didn't freak them out if he walked past. We also wouldn't have survived w/o Sophie, although if they hadn't gotten them as gifts I wouldn't have known the difference. No way would I ever spend $20 on a teether! LOL

My must haves would be
FP Rock N Play
Sophie
Arms Reach co sleeper
a multi directional swing (back and forth as well as side to side) JIC they liked it.
I love my Graco strollers
Exersaucer w/ toys all around
bumbo w/ tray
safety 1st booster seat
Clip on travel highchair like this - http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Diner-Portable-Hook-Chair/dp/B0000A1O7P

Pilotbaby
10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Love this thread and hope it continues! I am taking notes and adding items to my registry as I read this. Thanks everyone!

emily
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Tiny Love classic mobile

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

vonfirmath
10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Must haves:
swing that goes side to side
Aden & anais blankets--get the real 47x47 ones. I have pink Target aden and blue real aden and vastly prefer the real stuff - even though it is for DD
Lamaze freddy the firefly
Lamaze clutch and go pyramid
a baby gym (we like the Tiny Love Super Deluxe http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Gymini-Activity-Deluxe/dp/B000067K0L/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1319047068&sr=1-1) -- its amazing how much more time my baby will lie and look at these versus lying on even a her colorful homemade quilts!
FP infant-to-toddler rocker (we have two! my 4 year old sits in it sometimes too)
Graco pack and play
baby mirror
Dr. Bonner's formula pitcher
JuJube Be quick
-Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - by Marc Weissbluth
Snap and go stroller

Neat but not a must have:
Sophia the giraffe
Jujube be all diaper bag
Glow Baby Baby's First Journal

Did not work for us:
itzbeen timer
cloud b sleep sheep
tommee tippee bibs

BabyH
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Tint your windows.

Seriously, forget the cling things and the window blinds that drive us all crazy - go to a body shop and have your windows "blacked out". I did it when DS was a few months old and I LOVE love love love it. The guy who did mine razor cut them or something, so they are perfect. I couldn't roll my windows down for a few days but that wasn't a big deal. And FWIW, my factory tint was pretty dark, but I had more added to all but the third row and back window. It's super dark inside and GREAT! (And it was cheap too!)

My other must haves would include:
FP Rock and Play
Becco carrier (I did not love the Moby at all)
Doorway jumper
Blackout curtains
Sound Machine

If I think of more I'll make another post.

veronica
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Save yourself some trouble and start buying the Hanna Andersson best ever baby socks now, whenever they are on sale.

also-most people don't think of this until you need it, but buy jars of aquaphor and triple paste now. My mom buys these for us every once in a while and by the time the boys were born, we had a nice stash. Triple paste is so expensive that it really helped! Same for any bath washes you may use.

Our other must haves so far have been:
fisher price rock n play (better than any bassinet ever!!!)
swings
a&a blankets
any type of swaddle sleep sack

Singlemom
10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
OK, am I the only one in the world who has never heard of Hanna Anderson? what is it? LOL!

mackmama
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
OK, am I the only one in the world who has never heard of Hanna Anderson? what is it? LOL!

I hadn't either before DC - don't worry! It's a clothing line. :)
http://www.hannaandersson.com

Singlemom
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Very cool! Thanks!!! So these socks are better than all the other socks why? LOL!

Singlemom
10-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I've researched and looked most of these items up and added several of them to my registry. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! You have all been sooooo helpful!!!

Edensmum
10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Ergo carrier and pouch sling
teething bling was a handy easy to keep with us teether/toy
my sister got me a video monitor. I love this freaking thing. I would never have even thought to buy one. I like to co-sleep so it was not an issue anyway. Well ds really does better not in bed with me. He nurses on and off all night in bed with me. If he's in his own space he'll sit up, look around and lay back down on his own. We all get much more sleep.

alirebco
10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I have used much less stuff with the 2nd baby. Only true must haves are a woven wrap or other baby carrier you can use with a newborn, Aden and Anais swaddle blankets, Motherlove nipple cream, diapers, car seat, FP booster seat.

We have barely used the exersaucer, jumperoo, playmat or bouncy seat. We just put Lil right on the floor to play.

creativelightbulb
10-24-2011, 12:02 PM
This was my must-have list....

Labor & Delivery:
• Depends – I’m not sure WHAT the hospitals expect you to do with the flimsy disposable panties they give you after a vaginal delivery. Depends are a godsend actually have room to fit an ice pack, a large sanitary diaper/napkin AND your rear end. Take these to the hospital with you.
• Always overnights – Much easier to manage than the clumsy pads the hospital gives you to use once you have returned home and your flow has ligthened.

Feeding:
• Medela electric pump
• Easy Expressions bustier – Turns most pumps into hands free devices. LOVE THIS!!
• nursing bra - I prefer the seamless design but there are many good options.
• Lansinoh disposable breast pads – Can’t have enough of these!!
• Boppy or My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow
• Gerber Nipple Brush – Very small but simple and practical. Get more than one if you think you might misplace it in the kitchen.
• Bibs-Bibs-Bibs – The value pack of 10 bibs from Babies R Us is GREAT. We received 3 at our shower. I returned two sets only to have to buy another at the 5 month mark.
• Phillips Avent Bottles – I liked this brand because it helps prevent gas/colic but does not have a lot of small pieces like the highly recommended Dr. Browns bottles.
• Lansinoh Breast milk storage bags – Useful if you plan to freeze your milk.
• First Years Breast milk freezer storage tray – Great if you are short on freezer space.

Diapering:
• Huggy wipe tubs – This wipe tub has a serated opening that traps the next wipe when you remove a sheet unlike the Pampers tub that only has a hole opening that allows the wipes to fall back into the tub. This is a minor detail that can be a major headache when trying to hold a squirming baby or poopy diaper with one hand and retrieve a wipe with the other.
• Patemm changing pad – This is a splurge but a great product. Difficult to find in the store.
• Pampers Dry Max diapers– I prefer this diaper esp. for the smaller sizes. Have not found a diaper that holds more without leaking. There has been some concern with the Dry Max product causing rashes. I have not experienced this issue.

Around the House:
• Aden and Anais Muslin Blankets- Great for swaddling and any other use you can think of for a blanket.
• Summer Video Monitor - we have two loooong flights of stairs...an audio only monitor was my first choice until I thought about having to take unnecessary trips up the stairs...ugggh

Gear:
• Bright Stars Cradling Bouncer – Portable seat – great around the house.
• Bumbo Seat – Baby’s first seat
• Jumperoo/Jumper
• Graco Pack n Play
• Graco Travel Lite Crib – This is a mini Pack n Play. We used it as a bassinet in our room when she first came home. Now we use it as a travel crib and mobil playpen for the second floor. The slim design fits easily through doorways unlike a full sized playpen.
• Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster – Next seat after the bumbo. Great for travel etc. - eating and getting her hair combed
ergo carrier
quality umbrella stroller - we have a maclaren quest that I like a lot

Toys:
• Teething Book
• Tolo rolling toy
• Zany zoo activity block or similar product
• radio flyer walker wagon - bought on CL

Sleepy Time:
• Crib sheet saver
• Halo Sleepsacks – Great product

Products:
• Aquaphor- Great for proactive diaper rash protection.
• Mylicon Gas Drops
• Little Noses Saline – rinses nose when congested
• Gripe Water – for gas
• Aveeno Baby Bath and Grooming Products – Good on sensitive skin
• Olive Oil – Plain OO for greasing scalp and treating cradle cap
• Baby Qtips – Special design makes it easier to safely clean ears/nose when the little one is squirming.
• Hyland Teething Tablets and Gel
• Ziploc Bags – work great in the diaper bag for everything from a change of clothes to a poopy diaper.