PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my Micralite and get something like G-luxe?

PGTB
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Some things never change, like stroller obsessions :D

I thought I would not ever contemplate buying another stroller until we have #2 and start shopping for a double, but I always seem to have doubts about my stroller stash.

So, currently I have the Bob (our AT, jogging and long walk stroller), Bee+ (our travel stroller) and Micralite FF Superlite (our lightweight errand stroller).

I love the Micralite and it is my most fun stroller, but it is not nap friendly and this is an issue. The footrest is too far away for DS to reach and the headrest is too narrow, no place for him to lean his head to the side. The canopy also sucks and I hate the idea of shade extenders. We cannot take it on long outings, so, we only use it limited amount of time. It's also a bit bulkier and heavier than an umbrella stroller and sometimes I just want something truly compact and very lightweight.

Lately, I've been considering the Uppababy G-luxe, nice low weight, easy fold and mainly comfy padded seat with recline and extending footrest, plus regular footrest. It also has nice suspension and thick wheels. I am just wondering if I would hate it if I had to walk 3 miles with it, because with Micralite I can walk for miles.

Should I sell the Micralite and get the G-luxe instead? Will G-luxe be too hot in summer with the padding? Should I just use the Bee+ for now and leave the Micralite to use when DS is 1 year older?

Kaylee31
10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Should I just use the Bee+ for now and leave the Micralite to use when DS is 1 year older?

This is what I would do-- especially if you got a good deal on the Micralite and are not concerned about recouping your $. I love the FF, but think it's better suited for ages 2 & up, when it comes to comfort level. DS doesn't nap in strollers and I slather him w/sunblock so the canopy & recline aren't an issue. I also heard that Micralite no longer has a US distributor, so I'm not sure if and how much longer their strollers will be available for sale here.

I did just buy a G-luxe and really like it so far. The other umbrellas I've had were an '09 Topaz and a Triumph, but I think the G-luxe is much nicer. I love the fabrics & huge canopy, the fold is much easier for me, has a nice push, and the padding seems really comfy. I've only used it indoors though so I don't know how it would be for walks. I still prefer the FF, especially for walks & times I don't want to haul the Terrain out. I've taken it to the zoo & amusement parks and it has an amazing storage capacity.

Multimama
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I would just use the Bee+ for now, but that's partly because I dislike umbrellas as everyday strollers so I wouldn't replace any of the nice options you have with an umbrella unless you were wanting something for travel that you felt comfortable with getting bashed about.

I would keep the Superlite for later. FWIW, my 3 year old naps in it almost every day. :)

crl
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I think you should sell your Mircalite to me because it is the one stroller that fascinates me. Kidding, kidding.

Catherine

Kaylee31
10-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I think you should sell your Micralite to me because it is the one stroller that fascinates me. Kidding, kidding.

Catherine

There is someone selling a gently used one w/a red canopy on Swap for a great price. ;)

crl
10-19-2011, 12:32 AM
There is someone selling a gently used one w/a red canopy on Swap for a great price. ;)

La, la, la, I can't hear you. ;)

Catherine

PGTB
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all your replies :)

I think the smart thing to do will be to use the Bee+ for now, but I am not loving it for PT use in NYC, where you must deal with stairs to get on the subway and fold your stroller to get on the bus. I usually bump Micralite up/down subway stairs, but with the Bee+ DH and I have to carry it down, not a fun thing to do. It's ok, but somewhat heavy and awkward (not as bad as carrying the Cam like we did a couple of times). The Bee+ fold might be ok for the bus, I find it a great car stroller and it folds very easily, we just don't use buses usually as they take too long.

On the other hand I love traveling with the Bee, because it is sturdy and can take any car seat on top, I don't think I can do this with the umbrella stroller. so, if I purchase the umbrella stroller it would be mostly for the use in NYC and some limited travel without the car seat.

The other thing I love about Micralite and don't about the Bee+ is the standing fold (or lack thereof). So easy to store the Micralite folded by the door, takes very little space. The Bee is hard to store folded unless you have some hook to hang it on or tuck it into the closet.

PGTB
10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
La, la, la, I can't hear you. ;)

Catherine

You should get one and tell us what you think! :D

It's such a fun stroller, but unfortunately not really nap friendly for younger toddlers.