PDA

View Full Version : Baby health help please

Beckylove
10-19-2011, 02:47 PM
5 mo baby girl is having two different problems today.

The inside corner of one eye is bloodshot. It started last night and hasn't gone away. She maybe has some slight sniffles, but not a runny nose. Is this pinkeye? There is no gook leaking from it. Is this a call the doctor or wait and see situation?

Problem two is streaks of red blood in her poop. She had this two months ago, I took her in immediately and the doctor found a small anal fissure. He did show me where it was, i saw it too. Not a big deal, according to the doctor, and likely caused by a tiny scratch by my fingernail when wiping. Ok, since then it has happened another couple of times, including today. It seems like if it is continuing fissures, I'm not that rough with her I promise, why is this still happening? Or is this a symptom of another problem? Take her back in?

Otherwise I would definitely characterize her as her normal happy self. Only thing different was she usually STTN, but was up twice last night. I initially attributed that to the fact that it got cold here last night very suddenly and we didn't have our heat on yet. She might have been chilly.

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm sleepy and keep second guessing myself today.

brittone2
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
We've had the bright red blood in the poop from constipation induced fissures a few times through the years. Is your little one having harder than normal poops?

Beckylove
10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Nope, exclusively breastfed and the poop is mustard colored, liquid, seedy looking. I think that is pretty typical poop.

hopeful_mama
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
We have had the eye thing twice, researched and it can be very normal, sometimes from things like straining to poop, or sneezing too hard or something...we just kept an eye on it, it took a few days to dissipate. If it gets bigger though do call, or obviously if your DD is lethargic or irritable or anything out of the ordinary. The coloration might change as it resorbs the blood, I think once it got a sort of reddish-yellowish combo, but that's just fine, as long as it doesn't get bigger.

Beckylove
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I called the ped and they wanted us to come in.

The eye diagnosis is that she likely scratched it or rubbed it with some toy trying to get it toward her mouth. It'll resolve on it's own.

The blood in poop however they aren't sure about. Didn't see a fissure. Definitely has blood in it. I had some stomach issues over the weekend, so they are culturing her poop to see if we have salmonella or similar food borne illness. And the ped recommended I quit dairy to see if that makes a difference and she has a milk protein sensitivity. I really hope this is a short term bug and not an allergy/sensitivity. Being off dairy is going to be a huge burden for me.

Thanks for your thoughts!