PDA

View Full Version : what is the appropriate punishment???

mom2one
10-19-2011, 06:43 PM
My DS (age 7 1/2) has a school friend over for a playdate today. My DS asked if they could go into the garage. I could not get an answer for what or why, so I said no, because he dad has an office set up in the garage.

I just caught DS and friend sneaking back into the house after being in the garage. (I believe this is there second trip out there, but I did not catch them, I was on the phone).

I told DS he was in trouble and would be punished when his friend went home.

I want it to be a good punishment to make a point and let him know that this kind of behavior is not acceptable in our house.

Any thoughts??

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2011, 06:44 PM
No friends over for a few days?

Beth

justlearning
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Before deciding on a punishment, I'd first ask what they were doing in the garage. If the behavior was innocent, then the punishment would be only for the fact that he flat-out disobeyed you. But it's possible that the behavior out there wasn't innocent (e.g., were they looking at something they knew they shouldn't on your DH's computer?, were they doing other inappropriate activities?). So I think you need to find out what they were doing first before deciding on the appropriate consequence.

mom2one
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I am upset because DS and I had this discussion in front of his friend. I made it clear that they could NOT go in the garage that dads office work was out there and they could play in the whole rest of the house. I could never get an answer as to what they needed so badly from the garage. So, yes, he did outright disobey me after we had two different discussions on this.

I will find out after the friend goes home what was going on, I do believe they were being innocent at this point.

mommylamb
10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
This would make me really angry. Honestly, I think the friend needs to go home. He probably needs to tell his parents why he's being asked to leave early. That way you can see to your son immediately and the friend doesn't get off scott free either. But maybe I'm just mean.

mom2one
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree that the friend should go home and normal he would be, but this is one of those special circumstances that you are watching a child's friend. (Parents left today for NY and I will be dropping child off with grandparents in 23 minutes!)

mommylamb
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
That makes sense then. Sorry.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-20-2011, 12:43 AM
I would make it a logical consequence. Since he can't be trusted to be where he is supposed to be, he will need to stay within your sight for a few days. If you go to the living room, he goes too. If you go to the kitchen to cook dinner, he goes too, etc. If you go to the bathroom, he sits outside the door and waits for you.

But I agree the important thing is to find out what they were doing in the garage. And I would absolutely check the browser history on the computer (although they probably know how to clear that). And if that computer is not password protected and/or locked down in some way with software, I would look into that right away.

marit
10-20-2011, 01:37 AM
No playdates for a period of time, such as one week (or whatever makes sense to you). I think it's a logical outcome.