PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet Help (sorry kinda long)

katydid1971
10-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I have been looking for something for DS to replace the Leapster that he is out growing. I looked at the leap pad but I don't think it would be a big step up and he would out grow it quickly. I don't want to get a Nintendo DS because I don't see a lot of educational games for it and I would rather he had educational type games. I think a ipad would be perfect but its way to expensive to buy just for him and I really don't need or want one for myself. Today I got a groupon deal for a Skypad Tablet. It looks like it would be a good size and runs Android. I am very behind in technology. I have a dumb phone and I have never owned an MP3 player of any kind. I own a desk top computer I use to surf the internet, down load pictures and occasionally type something up on Word. So finally to my question. What do you think of Android products? Would I find apps that would be appropriate for my 6 yo DS? Are there any safety issues I should be aware of? How hard would it be for a very untechie person to set up for him (and sadly DH is even worse than I am)? Do I have to have some service to operate it (ie AT&T or Verizon)? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks so much

KrisM
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know anything about that tablet, other than what I just read on Amazon. But, it has wifi capability, so if you have wifi at home for your internet, you can use it on that network and it'll connect like another computer or a printer would. If not, you could add wifi. You won't need a service from a phone company.

Amazon has an Android App store with a fair amount of options. You could search and see what looks good for your DS. I have a Droid phone, but don't have game or kids apps on it. There are probably threads here with kid apps listed, too.

KrisM
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Just a thought and I don't really know how they compare, but how about a Nook Color from buy.com? Refurbs are $149, so only $15 more than the Android Tablet.