PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight umbrella with 1-hand push and/or a single handlebar?

TwoBees
10-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Is there a good lightweight umbrella stroller with a 1-hand push and/or a single handlebar? I find that I push the BJCM almostl exclusively with 1 hand, and I'm wondering if it is possible to do that with a 2-handled stroller.

legaleagle
10-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I *think* the only true umbrella fold stroller with a single handlebar is the cybex callisto which is not particularly lightweight - about 19lbs. There's also the inglesina avio which is not quite an umbrella fold but is a longish/skinny one-handed fold, but again, is about 20lbs. Also a least one peg - the vela easydrive has a single handlebar but I don't know how easy it is to push.

How much does your DC weigh? With lighter (<30lbs) kids, I think the nicer macs and the uppa g-luxe are pushable one-handed, at least for short distances over relatively smooth surfaces.

BayGirl2
10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I *think* the only true umbrella fold stroller with a single handlebar is the cybex callisto which is not particularly lightweight - about 19lbs. There's also the inglesina avio which is not quite an umbrella fold but is a longish/skinny one-handed fold, but again, is about 20lbs. Also a least one peg - the vela easydrive has a single handlebar but I don't know how easy it is to push.

How much does your DC weigh? With lighter (<30lbs) kids, I think the nicer macs and the uppa g-luxe are pushable one-handed, at least for short distances over relatively smooth surfaces.

Probably not. I have a 25 lber in a Mac Ryder and I don't feel like its a one hand push on the sidewalk. Maybe in a pinch just around a corner or something, but it would take a lot of effort. This is one reason I'd like to swap my Mac for a BJCM.

legaleagle
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Probably not. I have a 25 lber in a Mac Ryder and I don't feel like its a one hand push on the sidewalk. Maybe in a pinch just around a corner or something, but it would take a lot of effort. This is one reason I'd like to swap my Mac for a BJCM.

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't want to do it for miles and miles, but inside (in the baby store), I've definitely pushed my then-30lber, one-handed in the g-luxe. So not impossible, but not something I'd want to do all the time. If you do need to do it, I've found pushing on the opposite handle can help keep it going straight (so right hand on the left handle). I got though the airport pushing the starck loaded with 65lbs of kid + carseat + gear (while carrying 20lber and his carseat) with that trick.

MamaBear
10-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I got though the airport pushing the starck loaded with 65lbs of kid + carseat + gear (while carrying 20lber and his carseat) with that trick.

:bowdown:

strollerqueen
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Is there a good lightweight umbrella stroller with a 1-hand push and/or a single handlebar? I find that I push the BJCM almostl exclusively with 1 hand, and I'm wondering if it is possible to do that with a 2-handled stroller.
You can push the Quinny Zapp pretty easily one-handed. I also like the Mamas and Papas Luna Mix a lot. There's the Valco Latitude, which is being replaced by newer models for 2012. Those two aren't umbrella strollers, though. I think as the PP mentioned, the Avio, Callisto, and Vela are good bets, too.

Kaylee31
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
The Babyhome Emotion stroller is supposed to be released here in Jan. and looks awesome. It's only about 13 lbs. and has a single handlebar.
http://www.pishposhbaby.com/babyhome-emotion.html
I'm also able to easily push my Micralite Fastfold Superlite (14 lbs.) with one hand. I like it's "bullhorn" handlebars, b/c I can use them like umbrella handles, or just hold the middle part and push with that.

legaleagle
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
All in the stroller choice, really! Of course, when I got to the gate, I realized I had in fact packed the ring sling and could have been using 2 hands the whole time.

TwoBees
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Is the Vela really an umbrella stroller??

legaleagle
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM

No, it folds into a flat square rather than long and skinny, but it is lightweight, one-handed fold, small footprint and (officially) 15.8 lbs. http://blog.pegperegousa.com/travel/what-to-buy-pliko-mini-vs-vela-easy-drive-vs-si/

PGTB
10-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Combi strollers? The ones I've seen have single handlebars and seem to be very lightweight with compact fold. Don't know how they push though.

PGTB
10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
The Babyhome Emotion stroller is supposed to be released here in Jan. and looks awesome. It's only about 13 lbs. and has a single handlebar.
http://www.pishposhbaby.com/babyhome-emotion.html
I'm also able to easily push my Micralite Fastfold Superlite (14 lbs.) with one hand. I like it's "bullhorn" handlebars, b/c I can use them like umbrella handles, or just hold the middle part and push with that.

Ditto for the Micralite FF Superlite. I don't know if it technically qualifies to be called an umbrella stroller, it's a compact stroller with large rear air tires. But it has a single handlebar and with large air tires pushes super easily one handed. I do this all the time when pushing this stroller. Even holding it by one end of the handlebar it's easy to push one handed because the ends are connected and it has great maneuverability.

strollerqueen
10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, LegalEagle is right. If you really want a single bar umbrella fold, then you have to look for something with a jointed handle--like the Callisto, Avio, or tri-fold Combis. I would also consider the Micralite in that category, as PP's have suggested. It just has the big air tires. But definitely easy to push one handed.

ElspethCordelia
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Ditto for the Micralite FF Superlite. I don't know if it technically qualifies to be called an umbrella stroller, it's a compact stroller with large rear air tires. But it has a single handlebar and with large air tires pushes super easily one handed. I do this all the time when pushing this stroller. Even holding it by one end of the handlebar it's easy to push one handed because the ends are connected and it has great maneuverability.

I was going to say Micralite too, for the reasons you posted. I'm missing it now that I'm needing to use a double!

poohbear
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

So would you consider that umbrella handles or one handle? Regardless, I've heard all sorts of awesome things about i. I know someone was selling one super cheap on strollerswap...I am really tempted...