PDA

View Full Version : Replace BJCCD with MBUD?

tribe pride
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm seriously considering selling our 2009 BJCCD and purchasing a MBUD instead. Originally bought the BJ because I needed an AT car double. But,wWe've had multiple quality issues (wheels not aligned, brake problems, fabric wearing thin), and it's gotten heavier to push now that my kids are older (3.5 and 18 mo). There's a 2007 or 2008 MBUD for sale on my local CL (which is highly unusual, my CL stinks), and I'm trying to decide whether to sell the BJ and get the MB. If I sell now, I can probably get more $ than if I hold onto it for another year, right?

I like that the BJ has larger canopies, mesh ventilation (I live in the SE, and it's 90+ degrees 4 or 5 months out of the year), and is easier to lift in and out of the car. Dislike the push, and am very, very frustrated with the quality issues. Currently they've all been resolved, but I'm just tired of dealing with it.

I LOVED my old MB Terrain (fixed front wheel), but didn't originally get an MBUD because I needed to be able to lift it into my car daily. Not so much now, we hardly ever take a double places since my 3yo can walk or ride the HH. We're hoping to have another kiddo next year, and I'm planning on using my Valco Quad w/Joey seat as my car double. Other than the weight, I dislike the smaller canopy on the MBUD. And I'm worried about the lack of ventilation in the seats if a newborn is reclined. Has anyone found the ventilation on MBs to be a problem? Besides those things, I much prefer the MBUD, mainly because it is so much sturdier and pushes much better.

The MBUD on my CL is 2008, listed for $225. The owner emailed me that it has a very small hole in the seat fabric, small enough that she didn't notice it until a couple of days ago. But she said that the price is very negotiable because of the tear. What do y'all think? Is it worth selling the BJ for the MBUD? Anyone have any experience repairing fabric? And what would be a fair offer for the stroller? Except for the tear, she said it's in excellent condition. I'm hoping to go see the stroller on Saturday.

Thanks, sorry this is so long!

arivecchi
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
I sold my 2009 BJCCD for a MB Duo and I was so happy I did! The BJCCD was getting heavy to push, listing to the side of the older kid and I had TONS of quality issues. TONS. I went through 4 sets of tires, two handlebars, a whole stroller replacement and 2 sets of brakes.

So I sold it for around $375 and bought a brand new Duo on sale. The push was so much better and I loved how tough my MB Duo was. My DH broke the handlebar of the BJCCD but was not able to break anything in our Duo. :) The kids liked the Duo a lot as well and it was great to push in snow.

The one drawback was the fold and lifting it into our trunk, but I gladly dealt with that given the massive upgrade in push and quality.

emily
10-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Can't speak for the BJCCD but I also have a MB Duo and it practically pushes itself with nearly 70lbs of kids. I have a 3.5yo and an almost 2 yo.

tribe pride
10-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your replies, ladies! Arivecchi, I was hoping you'd reply, since you've had both strollers. Do either of you think that the lack of ventilation if the seats are reclined flat for a newborn are a problem? I worry about my kids sweating to death in there...

I would LOVE a Duo, but I don't think it's in the budget for a new one, and the likelihood of one every popping up on my CL is slim to none. (Seriously, it is a terrible CL. There is currently a Graco Duoglider listed as a "top of the line jogger.") I don't know that I can justify the price difference between a used but good condition MBUD and a brand new Duo (much as I LOVE those separate canopies!).

Anyone have experience on repairing holes in fabric? Or is it just not worth it to try and fix it, and hope another stroller pops up on CL at some point? The seller listed the price as $225- would $175 be a fair offer, if it's in great condition except for the hole?

arivecchi
10-20-2011, 09:13 PM
MBUDs go for $200-$350 in my CL (Chicago) depending on year and condition. If you have a slow CL, $175 might be appropriate. What year was it manufactured in? My kids were never hot in our stroller in the summer, but ours had humongo canopies. You could always get a canopy extender for the MBUD, though I've personally always found them to be annoying. I would deal with that though if you get a great deal on the actual stroller.

ETA: I don't know anything about repairing fabric holes, so I cannot help there, but you could always glue a patch over the hole if it really bugs you. :) I just did that to my Switchback to cover a big gaping hole.

BTW, you can get Duos on ebay for a lot less if you are interested.

tribe pride
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
MBUDs go for $200-$350 in my CL (Chicago) depending on year and condition. If you have a slow CL, $175 might be appropriate. What year was it manufactured in? My kids were never hot in our stroller in the summer, but ours had humongo canopies. You could always get a canopy extender for the MBUD, though I've personally always found them to be annoying. I would deal with that though if you get a great deal on the actual stroller.

ETA: I don't know anything about repairing fabric holes, so I cannot help there, but you could always glue a patch over the hole if it really bugs you. :) I just did that to my Switchback to cover a big gaping hole.

BTW, you can get Duos on ebay for a lot less if you are interested.

To answer your question, the owner said they bought it new from the manufacturer in 2008, so I'd guess an 07 or 08. Maybe I'll be able to tell by looking at it?

Thanks for the ebay suggestion re. the Duo. All things being equal, I'd prefer one, but don't know if it's worth an extra $300 or whatever. I saw on ebay that many of the duos are listed as $679, or best offer. What, realistically, could I offer and have them accept it? I don't want to insult them by low balling, but I don't want to pay more than I have to! ;)

gamma
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I use little battery operated clip on fans on mine. I clip them right to the hood.

arivecchi
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
PM'd ya OP.

poohbear
10-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I like the MBUD/Duo. I would just point out that it is NOT a good car stroller... It has a really long fold that doesn't fit into some trunks and it's heavy...
That said, I'm not sure there are many good AT "car strollers" - maybe the indie twin, and the upcoming city mini gt double since that would be like your BJCCD (but who knows on that one since it's not out yet!)