PDA

View Full Version : WAHMs: Resume Question

ha98ed14
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Resume Question for 1099/contract work professionals

If you do contract work for a company, when you list it on your resume, do you put "Independent Contractor" as a job title? How do you indicate that it is contract work and you are not an employee of the place?

For example: Jane Smith is an independent contractor to ABC Company, which is doing a project for the Southern California Edison (electric company). Jane wants to list the project on her resume because it is relevant to another job she wants to apply for. Does she list it under Name of Project, ABC Company, OR Southern California Edison on her resume?

kdeunc
10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
On my resume I have a section labelled Consulting. Under that title I list the organizations that I am currently/have previously contracted with and it what capacity. EX.
Community Relations/Grant Writing Consulting, City State—Consulting projects have included special event planning, marketing, grant writing, volunteer recruitment and training and general public relations including media releases and newsletters. I am currently contracting as a grant writer for a ABC Company. Contracting agencies have included the DEF Agency, XYZ Organization and the QRS Foundation.

I don't know if this would be appropriate for your field or not.

ha98ed14
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for this. This is my first contract type project, so I think I will list the name of the project and under it put my job title as "consultant". It would not make sense to have a whole section for one job. RIght?

Mermanaid
10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Since you are just starting out as an independent you could add it like this:

XYZ Company, Project-based independent consultant
January 2011 - Present
Put the description of what you did here.