PDA

View Full Version : Question about TV above fireplace

SunGreen22
10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
This is probably stupid, but I'll go ahead and ask. :) We are looking at a house that has TV hookups above the gas fireplace. If we were to put the TV there, where do you put the cable box and DVD player and how do you hook it up? I'm still back in the days of a big bulky TV on a stand, so I'm clueless. Thank you!

PunkyBoo
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
My sister's flat screen tv is above her fireplace. The wires go through the walls to a cabinet under her stairs that houses the dvr and other equipment. Kinda like how you have to wire surround sound speakers. Sometimes, depending on where you want to house the equipment, you can run wires behind crown moulding or baseboards. It's nice at her house, but it seems strange to point the remotes to the side wall when the tv is right in front of you.

wellyes
10-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Put the wires through the wall and get a remote control extender so you can put the components somewhere other than directly under the TV.

I love my TV over the fireplace, personally, I think it's great to have it completely out of the way when it's not on.

HannaAddict
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
We hate the new house trend of sticking tv above fireplace. Ruins the fireplace and tv is too high for ideal viewing. We moved the tv to wall next to fireplace and it is far nicer. It wasn't expensive to have the old wiring covered over andvwall painted and new wiring and cable moved. If your husband ( or you!) are handy, you could do it if there is a good wall to put tv on. So glad we moved it.

mom2binsd
10-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree with Hanna Addict, a tv over the fireplace is very high up, I do not enjoy looking up that high, in fact, when audio visual guys set up tv's the advise against it was it's not the "optimal" angle, I just think it gives me a sore neck.

I know many folks who've put a large piece of art/mirror in that spot.

wellyes
10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
It certainly depends on the logistics of your house and the size of your fireplace.

BabyDahl
10-20-2011, 10:09 PM
We hate the new house trend of sticking tv above fireplace. Ruins the fireplace and tv is too high for ideal viewing. We moved the tv to wall next to fireplace and it is far nicer. It wasn't expensive to have the old wiring covered over andvwall painted and new wiring and cable moved. If your husband ( or you!) are handy, you could do it if there is a good wall to put tv on. So glad we moved it.

:yeahthat:

If you're going to keep the tv above the fireplace, though, be sure your couches are moderately high. Low, modern couch styles often make the angle even worse.