PDA

View Full Version : When did you introduce pillow and blanket for your toddler?

PGTB
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
What age was your toddler when you introduced the pillow and blanket?
Did you wait till your toddler moved to the bed before introducing bedding? We co-sleep, so things are a bit more complicated and DS doesn't STTN. I am wondering if giving him his own pillow will help, but he is moving too much in his sleep to stay on it.

hoodlims
10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I bought DD a pillow at 16 months. It is really for decoration only, but sometimes she lays her head on it. As for the blanket, we introduced that a LOT earlier (6-8mo?), because she liked to clutch onto something. I started with an Aiden+Anais blanket because it seems to be more breathable, then just started using whatever. It was probably too early, but oh well. She is 20 months now and we still put a sleepsack on her (Halo Early Walker) because I can't trust her to keep a blanket on all night.

I don't think kids need pillows to be comfortable. It is probably better for their neck to be without. Mine sleeps on her stomach still, so I prefer her not to use a pillow for support. She sometimes smushes her lovey into her neck region.

Mommy_Mea
10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
We started when DS1 was about 18 months old, in a fit of desperation to get him to sleep better. He got DH's full-sized pillow, and then eventually a blanket. He sleeps on top of the pillow. I had been planning on waiting until he had a big boy bed (he is still in a crib), but sleep deprevation won out :)

Melaine
10-21-2011, 01:53 PM
We did a pillow and blankets when we transitioned to toddler beds at about 2.5. We used sleep sacks up until that point.

weech
10-21-2011, 02:04 PM
DS got really attached to his blanket a few months ago (maybe around 16 months), so he sleeps with that in his crib. No pillow yet.

wendibird22
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
DD2 (21mos) has been asking for them for the past month. We give her a quilt and a small decorative size pillow on the nights she asks for them. She's still in a crib.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
i think we gave DS fleece blankets in his crib around 10 mos. Yeah, he wasn't even a year old yet, but it was getting cold, and he was already walking so I didn't see the big deal. We didn't give pillows because he already had a trillion stuffed animals in his crib by that point. :)

We still haven't given him a real pillow...he has never asked. An aunt gave him a Thomas Tank Engine Pillow pet last month, and he LOVES that.

longtallsally05
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I gave DS a satin blanket as a lovey when I transitioned him from co-sleeping to sleeping in his own crib around 14 months. When he transitioned from crib to toddler bed at around 27 months, I gave him a very small pillow that came with a preschool futon bedding set I bought in Japan (they nap in nursery school there). We've since switched to this 14x21 pillow from Carousel

http://www.babybedding.com/solid-bluebell-toddler-bedding-pillow-case-with-pillow-insert

and DS likes it a lot. He stays on his pillow most nights but has difficulty staying under his little quilt (handmade, just a bit bigger than crib-size) unless I tuck it in @ the bottom of the toddler bed.

lizzywednesday
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
DD hates her toes being covered, so we're still working on a blanket (I have plans to get her some Hanna mocs for the winter) and she likes to rest her head on a pillow in our bed, but since we're still cosleeping, we haven't bothered with her own things.

Yet.

I've got plans to hit IKEA for a pillow and shop around for toddler beds.

hillview
10-21-2011, 06:28 PM
About 18 months.
/hillary

YouAreTheFocus
10-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Those of you that introduced the blanket--how long before they actually started staying covered? My 2 yr travels all over the crib, he sleeps in every possible spot & in every possible direction. I feel like we'll need sleepsacks forever!!

longtallsally05
10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Those of you that introduced the blanket--how long before they actually started staying covered? My 2 yr travels all over the crib, he sleeps in every possible spot & in every possible direction. I feel like we'll need sleepsacks forever!!

You got me. DS is 2.5 and he often wakes up at night crying and requesting that we straighten out his covers b/c he kicks them off. DD is 5.5 and she kicks off her covers every single night. I come into her room in the morning and she's curled up in the fetal position! The lovely down comforter we purchased for her last winter doesn't do her any good; I dress her in fleece pjs & HA mocs in the winter, DS too.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-21-2011, 07:18 PM

my son NEVER stays covered so we don't bother covering him. he goes all over the crib too. we gave him a blanket mainly so he could bunch it up and sleep against it, sorta like a pillow. we stopped using sleepsacks around maybe 6mos. when it was cold in the winter we'd just put him in a fleece footed sleeper, or Hanna zipper PJs with thick socks or mocs if it was really cold. we'd also get chamois sheets so the mattress wasn't so cold when he moved around (i think this helps a lot, especially for those who sleep on their tummies and tend to press their face against the mattress). my son seems happy with that setup..he's never complained or cried about being cold or anything.

my DD is all over the place too, and we still haven't given her a blanket or anything. i just put her in Hanna zipper PJs with thick socks and put her directly in the crib.that's it. last night it got cold, house temp went to 68 and i changed her sheets to be the thick chamois ones and put her in a fleece footed sleeper. it seems that is enough. i do have a fleece sleepsack that i'm saving for when it gets really cold...but then again, it doesn't get super cold here (in the winter it gets to 20s or 30s at night, that's the worst of it).

i should note though, based on what i hear, i think i might have oddball kids....they NEVER complain about being cold, even at night. actually they often seemed bothered when i try to cover them with a blanket when they are sleeping. :shrug:

lizzywednesday
10-21-2011, 10:13 PM

i should note though, based on what i hear, i think i might have oddball kids....they NEVER complain about being cold, even at night. actually they often seemed bothered when i try to cover them with a blanket when they are sleeping. :shrug:

Nah, my DD freaks out if you put a blanket over her, too. (Which stinks because it's been chilly at night lately and we've not yet switched the heat on.)

We can't do fleece PJs or she sweats, so I've been stocking up on l/s cotton jammies whenever I can find them.

Uno-Mom
10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
We haven't yet and Sprog will be two next month. She sleeps in a crib w/a sleepsack. It's funny, though, because when she pretend-naps all over the house, she always grabs a throw pillow off the couch and demands a blanket. She doesn't want one in bed, though. Go figure!

I prefer sleep sacks as long as she likes them. I have no desire for midnight "cover me!" calls. :)

hoodlims
10-24-2011, 02:02 AM
We haven't yet and Sprog will be two next month. She sleeps in a crib w/a sleepsack. It's funny, though, because when she pretend-naps all over the house, she always grabs a throw pillow off the couch and demands a blanket. She doesn't want one in bed, though. Go figure!

I prefer sleep sacks as long as she likes them. I have no desire for midnight "cover me!" calls. :)

Agree 100%. As long as they keep making ones to fit her, I will buy them. They don't restrict her mobility at all (except she can't really climb out of the crib with one - DOUBLE YAY!), keep her nice and toasty, and keep me from being worried about her body temp.

MamaSnoo
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
We co-slept between 9 mos and 2-1/2 years, mostly due to problems STTN. So, our situation was similar to the OPs. DD did not have a pillow until she transitioned to her own bed at 2-1/2. She loves her pillow now!

Blankets were around age 2, I think. Prior to that she was in a sleep sack, and DH and I wore warmer PJs.

AustenFan
10-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Around 2, we moved both DS and DD1 to big kid beds and used a pillow and regular covers. Like others have said, they tend to kick the covers off for awhile!

BabbyO
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
DS1 got his pillow when he was about 2 yo. I think blankets were introduced at about 18 mo. He rarely keeps them on...I cover him again when I go to bed and hope he'll stay covered most of the night. If he's really tired or sick (he doesn't move) they may stay on...otherwise I cover him again when I nurse DS2.

hehateme
11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
We introduced blanket at 12 months.
Our DS moves around a lot so we have been using multiple thin blankets.
We put one blanket on him when he sleeps.
Around mid night I check on him and put the second blanket on if he is sleeping over the original blanket.

We began pillow at 27 months when he moved to Twin bed.
Now we have given him a bigger blanket to so he has been able to do just fine with 1 blanket.