PDA

View Full Version : Do you call numbers back on your caller ID?

JBaxter
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I never do unless its my Mom or close friend/relative I want to talk to anyway. If I see a random number w/ no message left I just delete it.

The reason I asked is today I miss dialed DH's new cell number ( well Jack did a flying leap on my at the time I dialed but anyway) It goes to a voicemail I hear it isn't DH so I hang up and redial ( I was one number off) About an hour later the number/person calls the house I leave it ring. I find it weird to say Oh I miss dialed.

Do you call back? Do strange numbers bother you?

khm
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM
No, I don't. I find it strange.

I sometimes answer the phones at work. When people call and say "Hi, someone called me from this number....." I say, "There are 40 people here, sorry, I have no idea who called you." About half the time they say, "Oh, I'll listen to my voicemail then."

Yeah, you do that. Faceplam.

PunkyBoo
10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
On my cell phone, never. I even delete texts from people I don't know, even if it sems kinda urgent (like "i'm running late see you in 15 minutes" - I might reconsider if it looked like an emergency.) At home, our phone number is 1 digit off from a doctors office. Despite my outgoing message saying clearly "You have reached xxx-xxx-xxxx, this is the XX residence. This is not a doctors office." we still get voice mails from elderly people asking for appointments with the doctor. I have occasionally called them back, but usually not. And yes, I feel guilty about that but seriously I could spend all day doing it, we get so darn many.

wellyes
10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I can't stand when people do that. "Hi you called me and didn't leave a message". Yes, true and true, so what? If I wanted you to call me back I would have said so.

ett
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
No I don't. I might call back if I see it's my parents or sister. Though usually, they'll leave a msg if it's something important.

mjs64
10-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I have before if I've been expecting an important call, especially after interviewing or something like that . Sometimes I have a main number for an office saved but don't know who exactly might call me back. I know usually a voicemail would get left, but I'm paranoid about an important one getting dropped or deleted.

JoyNChrist
10-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes, I usually do.

I find it strange when people don't leave messages. I always leave a message, even if I'm just calling to chat. Or if I dial a wrong number, I'll leave a message saying that.

ETA - I should clarify that this is on my cell phone. I never even check the caller ID on my home phone.

Jo..
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't call a number that I did not recognize.

I almost never check my caller ID unless I am expecting a call. Then, if someone who I know called, I will call them back.

Claki
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
No. If I don't recognize a number I will google it and most of the time it's a cable company or a spammer.

Corie
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
No, I don't even check my caller id when I return home. I never
go through the numbers. I just check my messages.

BabyMine
10-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, I usually do.

I find it strange when people don't leave messages. I always leave a message, even if I'm just calling to chat. Or if I dial a wrong number, I'll leave a message saying that.

:yeahthat:

Melanie
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Only if I am expecting a call from a number I don't recognize. And I don't find it strange for someone to do it, but yes a little awkward when it's a mis-dial.

DietCokeLover
10-20-2011, 07:37 PM
No. If someone needs me they'll leave a message or call back.

Pyrodjm
10-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Yes, I usually do.

ETA - I should clarify that this is on my cell phone. I never even check the caller ID on my home phone.

:yeahthat:

ahisma
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
If it's family or a close friend, yes. For whatever reason we all rarely leave a message unless it's urgent. I don't think my brother has *ever* left a message.

Wrong numbers, very, very rarely. Once in a blue moon I do if I think it may be my DD calling from somewhere and she's left her cell phone home and is running late...but that's only about twice a year.

wellyes
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM

On the other hand I know a bunch of people who call to say "Hey I saw you left me a message, what do you need?" No one seems to actually listen to the message anyway!

Maybe this is why the young 'uns just text all the time.

JoyNChrist
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
On the other hand I know a bunch of people who call to say "Hey I saw you left me a message, what do you need?" No one seems to actually listen to the message anyway!

Now that would drive me crazy! I don't think anyone I know does that.

Of course DH and BIL always leave the exact same message on each other's phones - "Hey man, call me back." Every time, regardless of the importance of what they were calling for. I don't know why they bother to leave messages.

Meatball Mommie
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
No I wouldn't call anyone back if I just saw a number without a message and didn't know who it was. If I saw my dad (or someone else I knew) had called but didn't leave a message, then I would call him (them) back.

Like a pp, I answer the phones at work so I get the "someone called me from this number" call ALL THE TIME. Drives me crazy. If someone is playing phone tag, ok, but if you don't know who called, shouldn't you listen to the message?

Once I called someone back who left a message on our home voice mail. I have no idea how she mistakenly thought we were her relatives (our message clearly says our family name and phone number) but I felt bad since it sounded important. I left them a message saying that they never reached the person they were trying to call. It felt so weird doing it...

eta: I never leave a message for DH on his phone because he always sees it's me from caller id and then doesn't listen to voice mail. It's pointless. If it's really important, I call him 2x in a row and it's our signal ;)

Melanie
10-21-2011, 01:15 AM

My husband does this. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it annoying. I like to think it is when he doesn't have time to both listen and call me so I outrank his voice mails. ;)

MontrealMum
10-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Rarely. And I say that rather than a flat out no only because if a caller is being particularly annoying, as in, calling and calling and calling, yeah, I might call back.

We have a unilingual English message on our machine. If you don't get that you have the wrong number by calling multiple times and either hanging up or leaving incoherent French messages w/o name or number on our machine, yeah, I might call you back. Especially if I was post partum and had a sleeping baby :tongue5:

I've also called back repeated fax attempters. We do NOT have a fax here. Quit calling us!!! Makes me wish my DS had more of those annoying noisy toys to hold up to the receiver :D

But just for an unknown number? No, I wouldn't call for that.

niccig
10-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Neither DH nor MIL will leave a message. It drives me nuts, as they'll say "why didn't you call me back?" I feel if it's not important enough for you to leave a message, it's not important enough for me to call you back.

They've both realised I don't check my missed calls, so they leave a message now.

TwinFoxes
10-21-2011, 07:20 AM
No. If I don't recognize a number I will google it and most of the time it's a cable company or a spammer.

:yeahthat: It wouldn't cross my mind to call a random number on my phone. If they wanted to talk to me they'd leave a message. And I don't need a message from someone saying they misdialed. That just seems like a waste of both of our time.

div_0305
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Even if I had the luxury of time to call based on the caller ID log, I wouldn't. If it's important, whoever's call I missed could have left a message if they wanted a call back. Heck, I don't even have time to call all the people who leave a message some days.:bag