PDA

View Full Version : C-Section tomorrow

janine
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Today is my due date and the baby has been measuring big. Well now they have it at 9.5lbs and most of it in the belly, so they are recommending c-section since it is unlikely I can deliver it naturally. DD1 was only 7lbs.

It's not what I planned, but it is what it is (as much as I hate that expression). Anyone have tips on preparing for a C-section - I have never had an operation and only hospital stay was with DD1.

I'm also a bit concerned at the size - I'm tiny and DH is not big, and DD was 2-3lbs smaller at birth (and barely 30lbs at 3yrs). They are saying it's genetic but I'm worried about diabetes even if I passed the GD test (and therefore kept eating sugary foods!).

Anyway, wish me luck.

mmsmom
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I have had 2 c-sections... they really are not as bad as they can seem. My biggest advice is to not try to be a hero with regards to the pain meds... take them on a schedule even if you are not feeling pain at the moment because you do not want them to wear off. Get up and walk after the surgery as soon as they take the catheter out (nothing to worry about as they put it in after your spinal block or whatever you are having so you don't feel it). My 1st c-section was around 11 am and I was up about 8pm that night just to get from the bed to the bathroom. The next day I walked down the hall a little.

DH was able to hold baby right away & with both of my c-sections the baby left the OR in my arms.

Also, stay the 4 nights you are allowed! For me the hospital was actually a nice break since I had an older one at home & time to bond with my new DD. I knew once I got home the craziness would begin.

Good luck!

HonoluluMom
10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
No experience with c-sections. Just want to wish you good luck!

janine
10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Thank you! I just found out today (less than 24 hrs before the c-section was scheduled) that this was the course I was taking, so alot to absorb.

Appreciate the tips MMsMom ..and you are right about the break at the hospital (I also have an older DD who is very needy right now!)..I've been running around all night preparing, having my mom come down, dealing with DD and packing, boiling bottles..while DH watched the world series, so the break will appreciated as odd as it sounds ;). Thanks ladies.

wallawala
10-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Mine was scheduled and went so smoothly.... was in the OR at 9:30 ... baby out before 10am... I ate lunch and they had me up walking that afternoon. I was able to have DC in the recovery room with me to start nursing/latching.

It was the safest for my situation, and not anything like I was expecting.

It's not nearly as bad as laboring for hours and THEN having a csection.

hoodlims
10-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Good luck and get some sleep!

essnce629
10-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Wait, your DD1 was a vaginal birth and only 7lbs, but this time around they are recommending a c-section just because this baby is measuring big? Am I hearing this correct, or did you have a c-section the first time around too?

Ultrasounds can be up to 2lbs off in either direction when used to predict baby's size.

There's no way I would consent to a c-section after already having had a vaginal birth just because of a sizing estimate.

I know of a mom who was induced because she was having a "big baby" and that big baby ended up being 5lbs and 16 inches long!!!!!

And there's no way to know if you can birth a baby vaginally without a trial of labor. If you've already had one vaginal birth I don't see why you couldn't have another. Plenty of women have vaginal births for 7 lb babies and then go on to have subsequent vaginal births for babies much larger. It's common for subsequent babies to be larger than first babies anyways.

I'd be getting a second opinion and cancelling my section for tomorrow.

stonecali
10-21-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm with the previous poster. DD was 7 lb 1 oz and delivered vaginally. DS was measuring large on ultrasound and was a week overdue (and I am a very small petite frame), but they never mentioned C-section. I was scheduled for induction and I pushed out my 9 lb baby in one push. Seems really weird they would schedule a C section just because the baby is measuring large on ultrasound.

lmwbasye
10-21-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm with the previous poster. DD was 7 lb 1 oz and delivered vaginally. DS was measuring large on ultrasound and was a week overdue (and I am a very small petite frame), but they never mentioned C-section. I was scheduled for induction and I pushed out my 9 lb baby in one push. Seems really weird they would schedule a C section just because the baby is measuring large on ultrasound.

Not only this, but having had two sections, I'd avoid them at all costs!

essnce629
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Not only this, but having had two sections, I'd avoid them at all costs!

Especially if you want to have any more children after this second one. Each c-section increases your risks for placenta issues down the line-- placental accreta, increta, and percreta are all on the rise due to increasing c-section rates and are serious issues often resulting in hysterectomy.

Suspected "large baby" is not a valid medical reason for performing a c-section, especially in someone who has already had a successful vaginal birth. A cesarean section is a major abdominal surgery that comes with all the regular risks of any surgery-- infection, blood clots, hemorrhage, anesthesia reactions, etc. Not to mention the longer recovery time when you already have another child at home to take care of. Not something I'd want if it wasn't medically necessary.

Melanie
10-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Well however baby arrives, good luck to you and many thoughts for the best peaceful birth and healthy baby tomorrow.

(PS - my "big baby" turned out to be 7 1/2 lbs).

janine
10-21-2011, 01:16 AM
I appreciate the honest feedback, but not sure now is the time to put doubts in my head when it is 6hrs away.

I did not go into detail as the decision is made, but in short I have had 3 separate u/s's over the past 5 weeks and it has grown at the same pace and always been on track to be this size or more. Not only is the baby over 9lbs (almost 10), it has a large stomach which they fear means I could start out delivering naturally and then end up stuck in between which would not be good for me or the baby. At some point you have to go with medical recommendation. I am perplexed as to how this baby ended up so much bigger than #1, but it appears to be the case.

I will find out tomorrow what the actual weight is, but if they are so far off I'll be sure to update everyone.

amldaley
10-21-2011, 06:23 AM
I have had 2 c-sections... they really are not as bad as they can seem. My biggest advice is to not try to be a hero with regards to the pain meds... take them on a schedule even if you are not feeling pain at the moment because you do not want them to wear off. Get up and walk after the surgery as soon as they take the catheter out (nothing to worry about as they put it in after your spinal block or whatever you are having so you don't feel it). My 1st c-section was around 11 am and I was up about 8pm that night just to get from the bed to the bathroom. The next day I walked down the hall a little.

DH was able to hold baby right away & with both of my c-sections the baby left the OR in my arms.

Also, stay the 4 nights you are allowed! For me the hospital was actually a nice break since I had an older one at home & time to bond with my new DD. I knew once I got home the craziness would begin.

Good luck!

:yeahthat: to almost all of it!

If you have to have the catheter in longer, you can still walk with it, you will just need to drag your bag along. Get help the first time you get out of bed. I didn't and I ended up gushing blood & water all over the floor. Oops.

When I had DD three years ago, I read that women who take their pain meds actual recover slightly faster and heal more cleanly. And there is a reason why health advocates fought to get c-section mamas the extra day in the hospital - use it.

Ask your Dr what the policy is on your new LO being with you in recovery. I was not allowed to hold DD while they were moving me nor have her in recovery. But DH was allowed to stay with her every step of the way.

If you plan on breastfeeding, make your intentions known to your OB before the surgery and be VERY CLEAR that you want no bottle or no formula, etc. Request they mark it on the isolet. And then communicate it again to the nurses at the hospital. Don't lose heart of your colostrum is a little slower than the first time around. C-sections can slow that initial response just a little bit. Baby will be just fine.

Ask your Dr for a prescription for a post surgical abdominal binder. It helps the first few days, especially with the ride home.

I am a germaphobe, so I did little things like brought a plastic baggy to put on the tv remote, brought my own robe and shower shoes and towel, brought my own water cup. That was just me though :)

TwoBees
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Mine was an emergency C, so I can't give you any advice as to how to prepare, but I did want to wish you good luck. By the time you read this, you'll probably already be holding your DC. :)

trcy
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I had a scheduled c-section and I was prepared for the worst, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Like PP stated take your pain meds on schedule. Pain is easier to prevent than control once started. That is the biggest piece of advice I can give you. Also walk as soon as you have the ok, even just to the bathroom. Something to keep in mind…I was very itchy after the procedure. I figured it was just the bed sheets and had scratched myself like crazy. When I mentioned this to a nurse she said it was probably a little reaction to the spinal and got me some Benadryl. Instantly better. I wish I would have said something earlier instead of just assuming the hospital should have better fabric softener.:hysterical: Good luck and congrats on your new addition!!!

Melbel
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I had 3 scheduled CS, so it is all I know. You will be awake during the procedure, and it goes pretty quickly. I remember the OBs talking about football during my CS with DD1, which was comforting to me (just another day in the office). Be sure to communicate with your anesthesiologist if you start getting nauseous or feel poorly. They can make adjustments to make you more comfortable. They may strap your arms outstretched (like you were on a cross). They had a screen up to block my view of the procedure, as well as DH's view. I was able to hold and nurse DD1 and DD2 right away. DS went to NICU for some respiratory issues, so we had to wait. DS was a very large, long breech baby and his head was wedged under my rib cage. It definitely took a lot of tugging and pulling to get him out (I had expected them to just pluck the baby out). I totally agree with keeping ahead of the pain with your meds. It is much more difficult to manage the pain if it gets too high. With my last CS, I made the mistake of taking out the catheter too early (the first day). I felt like I constantly had to pee (urgently), but could not get anything to come out. I was up the entire first night feeling like I had to go to the restroom. I do not know of anyone who stayed 4 days with a CS. We stayed 2-3 days (less than 48 hours with DD2). You will still bleed alot vaginally post op (for some reason, I was surprised by this with my first). The recovery is not bad at all so long as you do not try and overdue things too quickly.

I was VERY itchy due to meds in the spinal (delodid?) and the Benadryl knocked me out. With DD2, I had better luck because they were aware of my reaction.

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way for the delivery tomorrow. Any chance you can slip out for a pedicure today?

Indianamom2
10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Well however baby arrives, good luck to you and many thoughts for the best peaceful birth and healthy baby tomorrow.

(PS - my "big baby" turned out to be 7 1/2 lbs).

:yeahthat: Hope everything turns out great. I'm with Melanie though...my "big" boy was a whole 2 OZ. bigger than his 7 lb. 12 oz sister!

Good luck!

PearlsMom
10-22-2011, 02:20 PM
I expect you are already holding and loving your new DC by now, but anyway this is a bit of post-op advice:

Help your DH and other family members understand what you're dealing with. I totally lucked out, and one of the women DH worked with/for had had two awful C-sections, and totally freaked him out about how hard recovery was. So he was an absolute saint, bringing me things, changing the baby so I didn't have to get out of bed, helping me in and out of chairs. I remember more than once being stuck in a chair with a sleeping baby, unable to stand up on my own because my abs had just been cut in two and my hands were full! I wore my DS in a sling a lot, which he loved and which kept my hands free for supporting myself when I need to move/twist/bend, whatever.

Oh, and laughing hurts! DH and I would watch comedies while DS nursed and nursed and nursed, but I felt like I was going to burst when things got really funny. Eventually, I started just watching golf. Very calming, and really no cause for belly laughs.

hillview
10-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I had 2 sections. Good luck and congratulations!
/hillary

jenstring95
10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Congratulations! The only piece of advice I can think of that I didn't see mentioned is that you may want to get some higher rise underwear (grannies). I know some women who have had C-sections find them more comfortable, as the waistband does not rest on the incision. I had 2 sections and don't know that I really found them necessary, but I did wear them just in case for a few days...

Oh, and I found my surgeries and recoveries to be far better than I expected. (I had no infections or complications.) I know what it is like, though, to expect a vaginal birth and have to quickly adjust to the reality of major abdominal surgery. It is indeed a lot to process! I hope you, your baby and your family are doing wonderfully!

mom2khj
10-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Hope you are enjoying your precious bundle now.

My best advice is to make sure you stay on top of the pain meds the first few days. Keep a schedule, it's very easy to forget when you're sleep deprived!

My "big" boy was estimated around 9lbs as well and was breech. I was a scheduled C, but my water broke on its own the day before my scheduled C. He ended up being 10lbs 9.5oz (2 days after the last U/S that put him at 9 lbs). I'm so very glad they took the precautions they did. The girls were both just under 7 lbs (both were born earlier than DS, vaginally, or they likely would've been close to as big as he was). No GD for me and he passed the tests with flying colors!

Enjoy your new little one!!! It goes by so fast!

janine
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone - thanks for the responses and feedback.

Our baby girl was indeed born 10/21 weighing 9lbs 8oz, so the ultrasound was only 2oz off. I was told from the beginning that this doctor (who performed the u/s) was very accurate, so I never took this lightly even though it was a 24hrs course of events. I was definitely upset going into it (had lots of thoughts in my head including some of the comments here), but afterwards it was very clear I had made the right decision. The baby was very big, and with this decision we ended up with a smooth, traumatic free birth for baby and I.

It all went smoother than I imagined (as some of you said!) and I had all the thing mentioned here...itchy, stomach hurting with laughing,etc. After the 1st day which was a bit up and down with nauseau, things were very easy...much easier than my first labor, but the best part was being pampered for 3 days. Now the real fun begins now that I'm home.

Thanks again everyone.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Congratulations! :)

Beth

TwoBees
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Congrats! I'm glad things wen't well! :)

hopeful_mama
10-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Congratulations! :cheerleader1: I hope your recovery continues to go well and your DD thrives!

Melbel
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Congratulations on the safe delivery of your DD and wishing you a speedy recovery!

MamaSnoo
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Congratulations!

I hope you get plenty of help from friends and family so that you can rest and heal. I am so happy that all went well and you are home with your sweet new LO!

amldaley
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Many, happy congratulations! Glad to know it went well for you!

Rarick0
10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Congratulations!!

mctlaw
10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Congratulations on your new baby!

kedss
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
congrats! :)