PDA

View Full Version : Picture help - What to wear?

sunshine873
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
We haven't had a family picture taken since DD was a baby. I'd like to get some taken this year for our Christmas card (& for our wall.) I am clueless on what we should wear. I do want it to be coordinated.

I really like the blue jeans & black shirt look, but am thinking we'd like to have our 2 black labs in the picture too. Will they just get lost with black shirts? Help me BBB!

elbenn
10-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I would wear something classic and even if you want to go casual, something a little more dressy than jeans. I think you can coordinate without all wearing the same things. Do you have some items in your closet that you love or are you thinking of buying new outfits?

sunshine873
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd rather not spend $$ if I don't have to. If I need to get something new for one of us, that's fine, but I don't want to go out & spend $200 just for something to wear for pictures. Guess I better go scan through the closets to get some ideas.

Mommy_Mea
10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
The last time we did pictures, we went with similar color palette, but not matching. I wore a burgandy top, DH wore dark grey, and DS1 had a dark plaid dress shirt. We looked uniform, but perfectly matched, which I think just looks more natural.

The ILs have done two different family photo sessions. The first we all wore white tops and jeans. A few years later we just wore a solid colored top. I really like the one where we don't match. The one with the white, you are blinded by all the white!!

Just my $0.02 :)

cono0507
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I found this on interest a few weeks ago - different color schemes for clothes for family photos.
http://pinterest.com/pin/192710123/

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I really, really liked our our family pics turned out last year. All of wore jeans (not all the same shade of blue) and we all wore jewel tone type colored solid long sleeved t-shirts. As the only girl, I chose a t-shirt that was embellished with the same color the shirt was so it was just a little detail but not a distraction. I picked colors that flattered everyone's hair and eye color. I was in a dark purple, dh in navy, ds2 in green, ds1 gray (his eyes look stunning in it). I don't like the matchy look, I don't really like prints or patterns and I wanted simple and comfortable. I got it and I love the results.

Beth

wendibird22
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
We did grays and pinks last year and it turned out great. The girls had very different dresses but both had gray, black, white, and pink in them. I wore black pants, a white tank, and a pink cardigan. DH wore gray pants, a pink button down and a gray sweater vest (so he wasn't to pinky). The dresses for the girls were new but DH and I wore what we already had in the closet.

This year we are doing blue, orange and tan. Bought the girls new taupe sweater dresses that have orange, green, blue, and pink designs (again coordinated but not matching) and I'm wearing camel pants and an orange sweater and DH will wear khakis and a blue button down.

I can usually get away with spending $30-40 all together on the girls and then just use what DH and I have in our closet.

crayonblue
10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
We had a lot of professional photos taken before my middle DD passed away. My favorite color scheme was: Carmen in red Guatemalan dress with various pinks, blues, yellows, etc. Lauren in light pink shirt, hot pink skirt. Me in light blue shirt and dark jeans. DH in navy shirt and jeans. It just worked to play off one piece and do colors.

I personally am not a fan of all matching or all white or all black.

carolinamama
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
We did some pictures last week with extended family because my mil wanted them. For the big group, mil wanted us all in khaki pants and white shirts. They are okay but I prefer what our family did for a few of just us. We coordinated - using shades of blues, browns, and cream. I had on jeans and a cream shirt, DH had jeans with a blue and brown small-striped shirt, DS1 in navy, and DS2 in a lighter blue shirt. They kept on khaki pants to keep the peace at the shoot! DD had a light pink dress on and it worked since she is so young. The colors were also good for the season since the pics were outside. HTH.

sunshine873
10-21-2011, 03:34 PM
We did some pictures last week with extended family because my mil wanted them. For the big group, mil wanted us all in khaki pants and white shirts. They are okay but I prefer what our family did for a few of just us. We coordinated - using shades of blues, browns, and cream. I had on jeans and a cream shirt, DH had jeans with a blue and brown small-striped shirt, DS1 in navy, and DS2 in a lighter blue shirt. They kept on khaki pants to keep the peace at the shoot! DD had a light pink dress on and it worked since she is so young. The colors were also good for the season since the pics were outside. HTH.

Oooo, I like the blue, brown & cream idea! DD has a great cream corduroy dress that she could wear with brown boots. Then I could wear jeans, brown boots & a simple top in one of those colors. DH in jeans or khakis & a coordinating top. Sounds comfortable, casual & the black dogs wouldn't get lost...

Thanks for the great suggestions so far everyone! Keep 'em coming!

septmama2b
10-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I just did this for our first family photo shoot last weekend. I looked at tons of photos on pinterest, and I really like what we decided on. I wanted us to coordinate not match, and I wanted some pattern mixed in. I ended up taking all the clothes out of the closets that were possibile, and sorted them by color, so I could see what I had to work with. We ended up with two different outfits for everyone. I only had to buy a few things at Target, I think I spent 40.00

I wore a fitted cranberry button down shirt with a flower print tank under it, DH was in a charcoal V-neck with a dark red shirt, DS1 wore a navy t underneath a dark red white and blue plaid shirt, and DS#2 was in overalls and a dark red long sleeved T-shirt. We all wore jeans in different shades on the bottom.

For the other set I wore a long navy open cardigan with a blue floral tank, DH was in a white shirt with a light blue square print, DS1 wore gray pants and a navy sweater with gray trim, and DS2 wore dark gray cords with a blue green and white plaid shirt with a navy shirt underneath.

We had our photos taken at a local arboretum, and everyone looked great. I can't wait to see them in a couple of weeks.

Good luck dressing your family.