PDA

View Full Version : s/o Flu Mist if newborn in the house?

nc_hope
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know if it's considered safe for DS to have Flu Mist if there will be a newborn arriving shortly in our house? DS is 8 and DOES NOT handle shots well at all. He has had Flu Mist before and while slightly unpleasant, much preferred it over the shot. We are expecting a newborn in our house in the next 2-3 weeks (via surrogate, so I'm not currently pregnant). I know the Flu Mist "sheds" - is that a concern for the newborn? Anyone know how long the shedding is an issue?

We typically do not get the flu vaccine here, DS has only had Flu Mist once, but since we are expecting a new baby, I thought it might be a good idea. Now I'm unsure....

jenfromnj
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
We'd looked into this a bit last year, and were told by DH's PCP that you shouldn't get the flu mist if you're expecting to come into reasonably close contact with anyone having a weakened/compromised immune system within 21 or 28 (I can't remember which) days. I think I'd avoid the mist with a newborn possibly coming into the house in the next couple of weeks IIWY.

tribe pride
10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
No experience with a newborn, but my MIL had a stem-cell transplant recently, so has a compromised immune system and can't be around anyone who has recently had a live vaccine. Similar to a newborn, she is in the process of getting all of her childhood vaccinations again.

We checked with her cancer dr this week, actually, about the flu vaccine, and were told that it sheds for 4-6 weeks. Her dr told us that, ideally, this would mean no close contact at all during that time, but often that is unrealistic, so at a minimum she needs to refrain from hugs, kisses, and changing diapers. (ILs live out of town, and we won't see them until after Thanksgiving, but wanted to check anyway.) I think the shedding time varies by vaccine, but I'm not sure.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I guess if I were in your situation, I'd go with the shot, just to be safe.

eh613c
10-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I say skip the mist. DS1 got the mist when DS 2 was 4 mos old. We asked our ped the same thing and she said it's ok. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later DS1 got the flu. He had a fever for 4 days (temp went up to 105 degree) and a cold for a week. DH and I tried to keep the kids separate but eventually DS2 got sick too. DS2's symptoms weren't that bad (maybe because he got my immunity from breastmilk).

I'm not sure what was the point of getting the flu vaccine when he got sick anyway.

veronica
10-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I say skip the mist. DS1 got the mist when DS 2 was 4 mos old. We asked our ped the same thing and she said it's ok. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later DS1 got the flu. He had a fever for 4 days (temp went up to 105 degree) and a cold for a week. DH and I tried to keep the kids separate but eventually DS2 got sick too. DS2's symptoms weren't that bad (maybe because he got my immunity from breastmilk).

I'm not sure what was the point of getting the flu vaccine when he got sick anyway.
flu vaccines (mist or shot), are typically good for the most common strains of the flu. Even then, they are not a guarantee.