PDA

View Full Version : 8 Signs It's More Than a Discipline Problem

JTsMom
10-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Great list for those wondering if their child is exhibiting typical behavior issues, or if it could be something more.

http://www.babble.com/kid/child-development/8-signs-behavior

daisymommy
10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Good article! DS displayed all 8 when he was younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egoldber
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Wow. That was not what I expected and I totally agree. Older DD displayed ALL of those signs.

hellokitty
10-21-2011, 07:15 PM
So for those of you whose kids had these signs, what did the issue end up being and how old was your child when it was diagnosed? DS3 exhibits almost all of these signs, but of course he's only two, so a lot of it can be just be the fact that he's a toddler. However, sometimes I wonder. I've parented two other boys already and he is so much more intense than my other two ever were.

JustMe
10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for posting. I think it was a great article in many respects but have one issue with it that is signficant with me. I disagree with the use of the word "manipulative" to describe what is happening when its not a developmental issue. I think that is a simplistic child-blaming way to put it that does not put oneself in the child's shoes. Anxiety (possibly caused by worrying about needs not getting met/deprivations issues), attachment issues, lack of self-regulation skills in a way that is developmentally appropriate, not knowing appropriate ways to get needs met, typically-developing testing behaviors might be other ways I would describe that. I am not saying the word manipulative is never appropriate in the situations described, but I think we need to be very careful about assuming that word as well.

Gena
10-21-2011, 08:15 PM
That's a great article. DS had all those signs as well.

So for those of you whose kids had these signs, what did the issue end up being and how old was your child when it was diagnosed?

At 2, DS was diagnosed with Mixed Expressive and Receptive Language Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder. A week after he turned 3, he got an official diagnosis of Autism.

LBW
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
So for those of you whose kids had these signs, what did the issue end up being and how old was your child when it was diagnosed? DS3 exhibits almost all of these signs, but of course he's only two, so a lot of it can be just be the fact that he's a toddler. However, sometimes I wonder. I've parented two other boys already and he is so much more intense than my other two ever were.

DS3 got a Sensory Processing Disorder diagosis this summer. Still struggling with official treatment options through health insurance, but it's a bit of a relief to have an "answer."

daisymommy
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I knew when DS was about 2.5 that something was "wrong" shall we say.
When he was 5 he was diagnosed with ADHD and sensory-integration-disorder.