PDA

View Full Version : What are some nice items to keep in your guestroom?

overcome
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Any special touches you've done in your guestroom for your guests? I already though of a basket of toiletries. I have a hook rack on back of door.

My parents are coming to visit for the first time and I'd like it to be nice for them.

PS It's a small room.

Melaine
10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I think it's nice to add some bottled water in case people are thirsty at night and it's all dark to get to the kitchen.

boolady
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
We keep one of those folding suitcase rack/stands in the closet, and have one of those carafe/tumbler sets in there that we keep empty, but fill with fresh water/ice for overnight guests.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/travel/prepping-the-guest-room-with-a-luggage-stand-122871

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/monogrammed-glass-carafe/?pkey=e%7Ccarafe%7C19%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C6&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

arivecchi
10-21-2011, 03:23 PM
kleenex
night light
magazines
chocolates :)

mikala
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
A power strip is helpful if your guests tend to bring electronics.

A portable fan can be nice for white noise and airflow if you don't have ceiling fans.

mackmama
10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
We have guest robes, a nightlight, a water carafe on the nightstand, and we make sure to have empty drawer and hanging space in the closet, dresser, and bathroom so people can comfortably unpack. We have a folding suitcase rack in the closet. I also put fresh flowers in the room, fresh soap in the shower, and put out nice guest towels. I keep extra blankets and pillows in the closet in case people get cold. I put a chair in the room, too, since people like a place to sit besides the bed. There is also a TV and full-length mirror. I like the idea of magazines and chocolate.

septmama2b
10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
In addition to all of the great ideas already listed I like to include magazines and travel books about the area, so they can find things they may want to see while they are here.

jhamman
10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Agreeing with all the great ideas so far (I especially like the extra power strip idea).

Depending on your guests:
extra house key
written instructions for how to use the TV, remote, etc.
small trash can

...and a high shelf for them to put their medications, vitamins, etc.
My older relatives seem to carry a lot of medications with them, and I've had to
be very vigilant about keeping their drugs out of reach of children and pets.

wencit
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
chocolates :):yeahthat:

Always a nice, very appreciated touch, and I've never had a guest complain about that! :)

maestramommy
10-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow, these are great ideas, and I'm hanging my head in shame. Our guest room is Laurel's room, and it looks like a it belongs in a convent. No little touches at all. Will have to fix that!

wellyes
10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
When I visit my folks, they always have a towel stand (with a set of towels hanging on it) in there for me. It's a nice touch if your guests have to share a bath - s not something I would ever think to do but it's nice to know it's all taken care of and there won't be that ambiguous "which ones should I use" moment when I take a shower.

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I was thinking an airplane bottle of whiskey would be good :)

septmama2b
10-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I was thinking an airplane bottle of whiskey would be good :)

Considering I am hosting both sets of grandparent's this Christmas, a mini bar in the guest room may make everyone a bit more cheery.

truly scrumptious
10-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Considering I am hosting both sets of grandparent's this Christmas, a mini bar in the guest room may make everyone a bit more cheery.

Don't forget the one in your room too! :54:

Edensmum
10-21-2011, 08:22 PM
A mirror and place to set up their toiletries for make up Etc so they don't have to take over a shared bathroom.

Nice towels they don't need to ask for or go looking for.

Bottled water.

I always leave my dad those free realestate mags, he likes to look through them. A guide to local golf courses and keys to the house. I also try to have a six pack of beer, as he has one when he gets back from golf.

Green_Tea
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Depending on your guests:
extra house key
written instructions for how to use the TV, remote, etc.
small trash can

YES to the trash can! I have stayed with a few friends who don't have trash cans in their guest rooms (it's just not the kind of thing you think to put in a guest room, I guess), and always end up with a small pile of wrappers/tissues/receipts that I have nowhere to put. A small trash can is a must. :)

Dr C
10-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Great ideas here! I will have to remember those esp the chocolates!
I'd specifically add tampons/pads. Nobody wants to go begging for those in the middle of the night.

dhano923
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I have in my guestroom:

5-7 books of varying subjects
a small decorative catchall dish for keys, coins, jewelry, etc. (it's actually a soapdish from Homegoods but looks like a piece of japanese pottery)
kleenex
small container with cotton balls and Q-tips in the nightstand drawer
extra towels in the closet
small trash can
floor tower fan
hooks on the back of the door for hanging towels or clothes

overcome
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Very good ideas! Thanks for sharing! They won't be here until Wednesday, so I have some time to prepare. I'm sure I'll be cleaning the house like crazy from now until then.

I'm DEFINITELY the one who will need the mini bar in my room!!

erosenst
10-21-2011, 10:36 PM
A few things I didn't see mentioned (although I scanned quickly so may have missed):

* Robes (white waffle weave or terry - like the hotel/spa ones)
* Extra TP and Kleenex under the sink in the guest bath; soap, shampoo, conditioner in the guest shower
* A bottle of the Bath and Body Works "sleep mist" http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11669952&cm_vc=200
* Nightlight